One of my Herpin' Trips.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty_Moose

Reaction score
Well, I don't get to go out herping very often as I've been quite busy with school but I was able to get out not too long ago and boy was it one of the best days I've had. I managed to find one species I'd been hoping to see in the wild for a long time, a Diamond python and it was a beauty at that. I also managed to see what I believe is a Brown Snake, and what I believe to be a Heaths Monitor. I'm unsure of what the monitor and 'brown' snake are but those are what I believe them to be, if I'm wrong I don't mind a correction ;)

Attachments

• P1020938.jpg
    P1020938.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_0082.jpg
    DSC_0082.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC_0232.jpg
    DSC_0232.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_0239.jpg
    DSC_0239.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 178
Lace Monitor, the tail has wide bands toward the end, Heath's typically have even banding right along the tail :)

Cheers mate, I did think about it being Lacie. But misread some information regarding the ID. First wild monitor I've seen so it was a beginners mistake ;) Thanks for that help.

It was a lucky find that's for sure. Unfortunate we only had a point and click kinda camera for that one and the snake disappeared very quickly when we got too close.

Cheers mate, I did think about it being Lacie. But misread some information regarding the ID. First wild monitor I've seen so it was a beginners mistake ;) Thanks for that help.

No worries, the two species are very similar in appearance so no one will hold it against you that you mixed them up :p

I would agree that it is definitely an eastern brown... given its apparent size and the fact that you can still see the remnants of juvenile banding.
Likewise with Lace Monitor. As Nash1990 pointed out, they really do look incredibly similar to Heath Monitors. Apart from the tail banding he mentioned, you can also use lips - Heath’s have 5 or more narrow bars on the lips while Lacie’s usually have 3 (but no more) much broader bars across the throat.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you had a good outing. The Diamond is very nice.

I got quite a few pics of that Diamond, I was so happy to see one in the wild. Here is another one just showing it's colour off a bit more.

Attachments

• DSC_0238.jpg
    DSC_0238.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 45
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back