Is it bad if a snake sleeps on their back?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaDoore

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a mate message me about his BHP, who is sleeping on her back. This is very unusual behaviour for her and I want to know if it might be a sign of something bad; I've heard snakes do this when they have discomfort in their stomachs, as it takes pressure off the sore area.

This isn't my snake and I haven't been over to my mate's place for ages, so I'm not sure what husbandry is like atm. I asked about feeding habits, cage hygiene, temps, strange noises from mouth or belly, mucous around mouth, and any other odd behaviour only to be told "everything seems normal"... :x that was not the response I was looking for.

Going on the limited info I have, does anyone have some ideas as to what this may be?

Thanks for your help, I really wish I didn't have to be the one researching all these snake dilemmas for these guys...

my male Stimmie likes to do it now and then,...and gravid females will when they have eggs. Hope this helps :)

They've had this python for at least 6 months now (I think) and she's never done this before, so I don't think she's just chilling like that because that's how she rolls. From what I've heard it seems like very unusual and sudden behaviour for her.

And she's not gravid, they haven't put her in with any dude snakes

I know you don't have much info, but has she been showing signs of neuro at all? For example, when she lies on her back has she struggled to right herself? Has she looked off-balance? "Star-gazing" is apparently another sign, but I'm not quite sure what that is. How often does she lie on her back?

My stimmie will sleep on her back very rarely, maybe two or three times since I got her 10 months ago. Scares the hell out of me every time, but she can always right herself when she wakes up and has never shown any signs of illness.

Can you visit your friend's BHP?

Okay, mate got back to me with a little more info. Apparently the temps are good (I've asked for specific numbers though), she's due for a shed, ate a few days ago, water is changed recently, the cage is desperately in need of a clean :)x) they haven't really looked at her much over the last week though, so will be keeping an extra close eye on her.

Renenet, I've read lots on Ants occasionally sleeping upside down, but not BHPs. I wonder if anyone else has had experience with this?

There is a high possibility that it is shedding. Many pythons lay on their backs or sides during the pre slough stages. From the information you have recieved, the best advice you can give your mate is offer stable temps and clean water. Chances are it will shed in a week or so.

Mine do that quite often, and there has been a few times where open encl to see if still alive. I think there has been some threads on it recently, with odd sleeping of bhps and womas.

I had a Copperhead (A.superbus) years ago that used to do it, no health problems etc. It just started doing it one day, did it for a few months them never did it again, I think it did it just to mess with my emotions :)

I had a diamond that i rescued once from one of my brothers mates who had been keeping it indoors with no u.v . He had troubles moving around and used to lie on his back and the vet said that it was a neuro problem and it was nothing to be concerned about ( he said its like someone having add etc ) . Hope this helps .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back