Whats your profession? And Why?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at BHP as a maintenance team leader in Port Hedland.....Why? because I get a stupid amount of money for doing very little sometimes :D, other times it's hell on earth!

Haha, I had to read that twice to understand it... "I work at black headed python as a" ..... I'm thinkin what?

Some people on here have/had some full on careers etc.
Well done.

I've had my share of retail jobs while going through school etc.
Mainly at Kmart and Woolies (aka safeway for the southerners)

But now I am a Senior/Project lead Drafter working in various disciplines. Structural, Civil, Architectural, Electrical, Mechanical, Aviation, Landscape, Environmental and Water.
Most projects I work on are Major Projects (most recent is the South Road Superway in Adelaide) so I get to travel a bit for each of the different projects.

Hi all. I`m a full time Mummydaddy of 2 kids 5 and 6 yrso. Why ? Cos mum put on her reboks and did a runner 3 and a half yrs ago. Merry EXmas.

How the hell? Seriously? You may as well as me to cut off my own toes. Good on you for the job you do, I wouldn't call her mum. It takes more than genetics to make a mum or a dad.
Then again I don't know the full story, so I'll bite my tongue on the rest as it's a bit colourful. But again, good on you. Full respect.

A bad day at the office hey.

I've recently been though a pretty serious workplace assault which had left me feeling pretty rattled for a few days though its worse than I thought. My workplace had completely ignored me and what had happened to me until a few days ago when I was informed I'm now the subject of a Police investigation as there has been an allegation from the guardians of the person (A man with an intellectual disability and severe mental illness) who assaulted me that I assaulted him, although I have been quietly assured by the investigative officer that my actions are, and are being viewed as self defence, which they were, nothing more but it doesn't make it any earier to swallow. My 'assaultive' actions were pushing the man off me while he was punching me in the face

Once my workplace recieved photographic evidence of injuries I sustained, and senior management took the time to talk to me they have been bending over backwards to ensure that I'm ok, too little too late. I've been removed from active duties for the duration of the investigation, though I have been offered some roles that look to be quite interesting in WHS and risk management, but still.........

The HR Manager is so disgusted with the way I've been treated she is refusing to have anything to do with my case.

Oh the joys of it all.

the bite beard?

Thats a part of it.

I also had 2 black eyes, bruising and scratches all over my face, shoulders, chest, back and bruising on my legs from where I was hit with a chair.

I spent nearly 20 mins pinned to the ground while I was being kicked and punched, my shirt ripped off me, 2 other support staff were virtually ineffective at assisting me.
I was remaining professional, which is why it went on for so long. I could have come back the way he was going at me and ended it instantly but I have a professional conduct and a duty of care to adhere to.
It hasn't really helped though. I'm still in position that has left me feeling like my future in my career is uncertain which is leading to an unbelievable amount of stress and anger.

Beard isn't a happy man right now.

Last edited:
Wow, some really interesting stories here! My life's been pretty straight-forward so far. Did some semi-pro kickboxing overseas and gave Karate lessons to kids under 10 whilst still studying (this is when I was 16). Then went on to complete University, took up a graduate position in a top 4 Accounting Firm and am now a Chartered Accountant working for a Government Regulator. My real passion and second job is being a committed and loving husband and father of 2 little ones :)

And a HUG for you Beard..... a big one.... because there's no way I could do what you do but somebody has to.

Wow - Beard, dude... Mate... Bug L... (kiwi accent coming through there)... Sorry to hear about your snizzle dude!

To cheer you up... A large NZ company that has a large store in my small town (which out competes the poor small town stores of course) has just been done out of $30... I know, it's not big time robbery... But I only just worked it out when I got home... And really... I see it as a deserving break - while this has little to do with my occupation, I will see if I can twist the story around to suit... Segue coming...

When I was teaching in Cairns and the big nasty Cyclone (Yasi) came tumbling down on us - I escaped. I took my trailer and all my camping gear. If you look for the Yasi threads, you'll know the whole story. Anyway, long story short, my trailer and all camping gear was destroyed.... Hmmmm... Not by the cyclone...

Anyway - I am getting my annual 6 week holiday from teaching now... And decided I deserve to re-start my camping accessories. I've got a tent and all the other stuff coming. But those little necessities - you know, from cookers, to saucepans, first aid kits to boxes blah de blah blah....

I lost several thousand dollars worth of stuff in the trailer accident - and insurance only covered half because I couldn't prove ownership of most of the items nor could I find where they ended up.

So... At this large NZ company store I purchased nearly $500 worth of goodies for camping. I don't get plastic bags, and I needed large boxes, so all the stuff I was buying I put in the 2 x 72L boxes and took them to the counter... The lady put everything through the scanner - all except the two boxes (value $30) - she HAD the boxes to scan - I didn't hide them from her... She handed them too me, but she didn't scan them!

So, you see.... (to really make this thread relevant) I think I have discovered something....

I'm a professional THIEF!!!

OMG.. I am a common criminal....

But... I'm not taking those two boxes back to get them scanned - what's the rule with that? Am I going to jail???

I can't go to jail... I'm way too pretty!!!

Anyway, I also got a call up from the local supermarket telling me I had won a prize... I won a shaving set!!! So - day of awesomeness and gifts and stuff... And I even made this story thread-relevant!

Hahahahahaha, well done Slim6y.

I had to run out and do some things, and while I was out and about I was
walking back to my car and I fumbled around in my pockets, no keys there. Right-o. Locked them in the car. My NRMA membership has expire and I've forgottten to renew it......

I'd left the drivers window down a couple of inches so after taking the weather shield off I tried to get my arm through but my arm is too big. AH, I've got some things in the back I might be able to use but......the canopy is locked but I can open the side sliding window. I can't reach what I need, now my arm isn't big enough!!!!!!!!

I'm about a 15 minute walk away from home, yea, I'll walk home and get the spare key. But. The house is locked and the key is locked in my car.

I could catch a taxi to my wife's work and get her car, drive home, get the spare key, drive back to her work, catch a taxi back to my car BUT..........That would take about 2 hours and cost me about $80.

I could sit here and wait til she finishes work BUT.......thats not for another 4 hours.

Hmmmmm, what to do?

I'll have a smoke and a think (or blank out and feel sorry for myself).

A locksmith pulls up in the carpark next to me :) "G'day mate, any good with car locks".

Driving home 2 mins later :)

Does this make me a professional scatterbrained idiot ;)

Well currently I work from 8:45 - 3:10 on a $0 per hour salary. It sucks but my co-workers are great people, all the same age as me. The worst part about it? If I don't work for a bit I have to make up the time after hours, generally until 4:30.

moving to Cairns to do a Bachelor of Science at JCU. I intend to major in zoology once I've passed my bridging courses. I live right by the rainforest - where I've always wanted to live - and I'm happy here.
That's exactly what I'm planning to do... as in, EXACTLY. A month or so ago I told myself that as soon as I have the money, I'm going to move to Cairns, attend James Cook University and major in zoology. Then... breed reptiles/relocate animals/something else.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'm planning to do... as in, EXACTLY. A month or so ago I told myself that as soon as I have the money, I'm going to move to Cairns, attend James Cook University and major in zoology. Then... breed reptiles/relocate animals/something else.

You're that sick of Melbourne weather? Seriously, good luck with your goal. Since I'm doing my degree part-time, it's altogether possible I'll be finishing up just as you're starting.

Bureaucratic wrangler in the private sector would be my job description. An ability to consistently bang ones head against a wall whilst communicating eloquently is viewed as a positive. Deciphering the intellect and rationale of a newt is also required.

I continue on with it because it pays the bills and I'm my own boss for the most part. But a change is most certainly on the horizon.

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm a combat engineer in the army basically among alot of other things I find bombs , and as for why ? There's alot of very personal reasons that im not gunna put up here . but I love my country and will do anything to protect her, also I love my job u get paid alot and am in the most secure job you can get and in the 4 and a bit years I've been doing it I've been paid to go to Singapore and do good will missions in the Indonesian islands and east Timor and also go to America and Canada and a few other places , there's always haters but go ahead an hate cause you will never understand what we do and why :)

i turn up each day at work and pretend to be a school teacher, i do this purely for the extensive holidays which allow me to accommodate my hobbies.

I used to be a storesperson (Storeman) Why? Because it was easy on the brain had loads of fun didn't have to bring work home or stress about it each day was a new day. Now Im a retired disability pensioner who has a manure load of time for looking after reps. Best Job Ever :)

A lot of interesting careers out there among fellow APS members, and some interesting stories, hope you make a full recovery Beard physically and especially mentally.

Honest Pirate, good work on having everything fall into place so perfectly, it's always nice to have good luck to compensate the poor luck in life.

All the mums and dads, whether it's your only profession or not, I hope you guys know you're doing a fantastic job.

As for me, I've worked a few places, I've done the 3 most common jobs that everyone seems to do at some stage in life, delivered newspapers and catalouges, worked doing night-fill, and delivered pizzas ;)
As well as working at Dreamworld as a theme park attendant and doing my time through uni and wildlife volunteering.

Currently I'm doing wildlife spotter catcher work, removing and relocating displaced fauna from development sites throughout Australia, it's a fantastic opportunity to see places and animals you wouldn't normally see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back