Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyson001

Reaction score
After waiting ages my parents have finally said I can get a snake my problem now is what to get as I love them all. What would you class as a good beginer snake that's not to small. All comments greatly appreciated.

Get a Darwin they are great snakes. Most my Darwin's are pretty placid. You can get a Het if you want as they normally look stunning.

get a penny boa they only get six foot great for a first snake only a little phoniness

get an inland carpet they are such an underrated animal with a beautiful nature. Aka the murray darling. Bottom line though get what you like best.

i was thinking a Darwin as i love there pattern and that there not to big would you say they are fairly easy to care for as its my first snake. i like the murrays and diamonds but they get abit to big for the moment ill stick to someting smaller for my first but maybe later.

They are nice and easy. 4ftx2ftx2ft enclosure as a min (4ftx4ftx2ft is better) Hot end 32-33C cold end 20-25C (colder is ok as long as it still has access to heat) some people reckon they can go of there food if the humidity is too low. Never had an issue. My Darwin's are good eaters. They are a great first snake IMO

cool looks like i might be getting a darwin in very near future as far as handeling goes ive herd they can be a bit snappy but whats your opinion.

ive thought of stimmies but i never really took much interest in the antresia group i guess just personal preference.

murrays will range size wise from 1.5-2.2m depending on locality and feeding habits. but if your preference is a darwin go get it. look around for quality breeders of darwins and ask for an animal that isn't snappy.

Do your research & then choose which animal you really like the look of & one you won't have trouble giving it what it needs. Everyone is going to tell you to get whatever their personnel fav is which is great cause you are getting feedback but you need to decide what YOU want. Here is a link with some fantastic articles about the different snakes available & the pros & cons. Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

Not to sure about the comment "stimsons never bite" .... some can be great while others can be a bit snappy for the 1st 12 months of so. But every snake breed can be like that I think, luck of the draw when you buy one if you don't get one that has been handled regularly.

Personally I think Womas are an excellent 1st snake, great temperament, average size, basic husbandry requirements & are known to be pigs so you shouldn't have feeding issues. They also have some weird traits like the head bopping & tail wagging when they get excited eg. food time.

get a childrens they are easy to look after l breed them am l am probably younger than u easy to care, easy to breed, easy to hold. :)

I can recommend a Woma, it's the friendliest python in my collection. Easy to handle and won't get as big as some others out there.

really love the womas but they come under class2 licence in vic dont they.

Sorry, didnt realize that you were south of the boarder...

get a children python, easy to look after, incredible wat they do at night,

I got a het Darwin for my 1st pythonGood to handle nice as I love darwins!Woma are class2 in vic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back