another newbie!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fegzz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all, i am 17 years old and completely new to keeping pythons although i have some experience in keeping reptiles as i have had bearded dragons. i have all the requirements for the python when i get it and have studied alot into keeping it. I am very keen on a spotted python as they are a smaller snake ( been told to look at stimsons and childrens also but very keen on a spotted). I recently today had a look at a spotted python at a pet store that has staff quite experienced in reptiles. ive handled this particular spotted python twice now at the store and put it on hold at the moment but what i am asking is this. The python is about 8 months old and roughly around the 40cm length ( not sure if thats undersize for its age or they vary) and the first time handling it i was not tagged at all by it ( tagged the lady getting it out once) an the most recent time i handled it at the store it got me ( first snake bite! i know only by a small python, didnt feel a thing though) and it struck at nothing an additional 5 times in the space of about 10-15 minutes.
now this may sound stupid but i am new to this
is this a sign of an aggressive temperamented python? or are most pythong this age and size nippy? im guessing due to it being at a pet store it may not get handled that much but i am prepared to work on it by handling often but im just wondering cause i would not want to choose a first snake which has an obvious aggressive temprement
thanks!

First of all dont want to snake block the pet shop but you are better off buying a snake from a breeder from here, They will tell you every thing you need to know and you will pay alot less then you would to a pet shop, All snakes can be nippy but with abit of time and effort they can become lets say ........... reluctant to letting you handle it, Snakes cant be tamed but with abit of handling they will become fine, doesn't sound under size they are a little snake remember :) all the best with you're quest to finding the right python :)

thanks for the reply
yes definitly understand were you are coming from in regards to the pet shop and breeder issue and i have made sure that i have gotten the information that i need on the snake including when its shed and fed etc the price isnt too bad around the $150 mark and it is quite convenient as it is close to me where i will be getting food and other equpitment for my snake. its been hard enough to convince my parents to let me get a python as it is and they feel comfortable getting it from the store as we have dealt with the store for many years. one of the staff at the store bred the spotted python juveniles that i was looking at so i do feel a bit of comfort in buying it due to that

okie dokie then well u shouldn't have a problem :) Antaresias are a good first snakes small and pretty hardy from what i've heard . Personally i've never owned one but yep just read up on here and you shall learn every thing you need to know in reguards to keeping pythons :) Welcome to aps you know 1 python is never enough :p

thanks so much for the help!
and will do have been staying up doing all the research i can do!

get the bible!!! well it's as close to the bible as i have read:) keeping breeding australian pythons

Lots of young antaresia are snappy. I dare say it will grow out of it with little to no effort. Most will calm down with age.

Just to expand on what's been said, yes most hatchlings are a bit defensive (understandable given their small stature) But pet stores are also often not the best environment for a scared baby snake. Given a nice quiet home, regular feeding, and semi-regular handling, most snakes will settle over time.
I found spotted's to be very placid and hardy animals, an ideal first python. Personally I prefer the look of the Stimsons (wheatbelt locale etc) but it's hard to say no once you've become a bit attached to the little guy. And as Jarden said, there's always the next one :)

Compared to the beardies you'll find pythons are a breeze to keep happy. Just make sure that temps are right, give it time to settle into it's new home before feeding/handling, and make sure whatever you're housing it in is escape proof. It's amazing the gaps these guys can find at that size.
Recommend (if you haven't already) you take a look at the building a click-clack thread on this forum.

Edit: found the link to the click-clack thread
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/guide-build-click-clack-dial-93266/

Last edited:
sorry i havent replied but thank you all for the answers and information given :)

I just got a Stimsoni female from a reptile store about 3 weeks ago. She's 7 months old and shes very placid. The place where i got her handle their young a few days a week so they are used to it. I read so many times that baby snakes are often biters but get better as they get older...but you dont have to start with a nipper. She hasnt shown me any aggression whatsoever yet, not even in the shop being passed around between me , my mum and the guy that sold her to me. Id say dont rush into it, look at a few different little bubbas before ya choose, and deffinately give the Stimsons a look! Mines gorgeous! And yep, Ive had a beardy before.. both reptiles but soo very different!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back