Loss of power during incubation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithers

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have just received a letter in the mail telling me next week I will have my power cut for a minimum of 3hrs possibly more.

I have an incubator with a few eggs and wondered if this drop in temp is going to be detrimental to the eggs at all.

An how long would be max without heating.

Cheers for you help

Regards,
Brett

Hey Brett a short amount of time like that will be no dramas at all if your worried put a few containers of water in your incubator now they will help with keeping the temps from dropping too much once the power goes out, even if they dropped a few degrees it's not going to hurt ;)

Cheers sam

As Sam said put some water bottles in and hope for the best

3 hours isn't a long time I doubt the temps will drop more than a couple of degrees.
Same thing happened to me for 5 hours a few months ago and they all hatched fine.

Good luck with it

Last edited:
Are you going to be home at the time?
Last year I had to improvise with heated pavers, warmed in the sun or gas oven to a bit above incubator temps then wrapped in newspaper to only let the heat release slowly when my power went out for a whole day. Easier way would be to get your hands on a generator but neighbours might want to kill you if its the middle of the night. Another gizmo is an uninterrupted power supply, i think that Solar17 had a thread on them. They sound like a great investment if you have many clutches

Thanks you so much guys for your help and advice,...I was a bit worried as these incubators drop heat like nobodies that's why they are heating/cooling me thinks. I was only talking about it yesterday and as this unit is also able to be powered via cig lighter in the car I may be able to wing it with a battery of sorts and some converter thingy ma bob.

I also have the offer of moving it else where but I really don't want to do that.

I will be home during that time and it's morning so hopefully I'll be able to wing it maybe with a few more heatsink tubs of water in there and a sundrenched rock or two.

How about a wheat heatpack do they hold heat for long? Iv'e not had one before.

Thanks again peeps ;)

I wouldnt stuff around with other heat sources as you are more likely to overheat the eggs or cause more fluctuation from having to play around with it to get the temps right.
If you have the option of 12v then just find a car battery and wire it up to a lighter connection.

There is no need to do anything for a few hours without power.

Thanks again, will look in to the battery thing, Cheers Josh ;)

Ramsayi I thought the same at first but then re read the letter in full after freaking out (as you do when the words cut in power!! are read) It may go on for longer than their 3hours stated so I wanted to be educated on the off chance it did. I know I'm probably fussing more than I should, first serious season here breeding so a little nervous at every stage of the process.

Thanks

Can't offer any advice, but good luck. Bloody power companies. What a time of the year for it, when people are stocking their fridges for Christmas (and incubating eggs)!

Best thing mate if you have a JCar close by or even a supercheap you can get car cigerette lighter sockets which will connect to a car battery and it will last upto 8hrs if the battery is fully charged.And if you buy a solar trickle charger you could extend that by about 5hrs if the suns out for you.

I lost a clutch last season due to two blackouts, one was 9 hours and another 4 hour one a week later. They were overnight so I had no idea it happened, and was not a happy camper. Lucky though it was the last of my eggs, but they were the most important ones :( I think 3 or 4 hours should be ok this time of year though.

Thanks everyone for your tips much appreciated.

Im sorry fellas you lost your eggs that's rough when all that hard work goes in just getting a clutch hatch to have it go to waste by no fault of your own is a bitter pill big time.

With any luck your power may not even go out. Just a couple weeks ago we also got a letter saying our power may be disrupted/cut off between such and such time as they were doing work, but it never actually went down.

Energex will supply you a generator if you contact them & tell them you keep reptiles. We have done it a number of times cause we breed fish, they drop it off & pick it up.

if your incubator drops temp easily make sure you wrap blankets around it to help insulate it for the time the power will be off

Energex will supply you a generator if you contact them & tell them you keep reptiles. We have done it a number of times cause we breed fish, they drop it off & pick it up.

I'll def ask around here for the same deal, thanks so much for your help darl. Was about to go out and purchase a battery plus extra's.

They must be doing some work in the area as I had the same letter a few weeks ago. My incubator holds temps well so I wasn't concerned and it wasn't an issue. As others have suggested, if you do nothing else, load it up with water well in advance to increase the thermal mass and wrap it in blankets.

I'll def ask around here for the same deal, thanks so much for your help darl. Was about to go out and purchase a battery plus extra's.

No worries. Its not something they advertise, so unless you have heard about it, you just dont think that would even be an option. But as i said, ive had one bought to us on 4 different occasions now, so def give them a call........save your money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back