Dog question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont let the dog make the descision and follow a system. Choose a quality dry kibble, and raw ( you can do either of these alone). Feed her 3 times a day in small portions. Put the food down for 10 minutes. If she doesnt eat it, remove the food and make her wait till the next feed ( this is not cruel, and dogs will not starve themselves). Ideally you would want some rib showing but not too much. When cutting the food into portions go half kibble, half raw. And be very strict on the 10 minute eating rule. This teaches her that the food will be removed both ways and she wont want to be hungry. Goodluck
a

That just encourages her to scarf her food though, and that in itself is bad for her stomach. She shouldn't have to feel like she gets one or two shots a day at filling her stomach. If she knows you come outside to feed her, that's what she will look for every time you go outside. I know, because the people I live with have two dogs and the only time they go outside is to feed them so if you go out to hang up the washing or fill their water, they're there straight away to see what you have, jumping on everyone to see if they have food. IMO if she's happy to graze on bikkies and isn't fussed about how fast to eat don't worry about it.

You will find what she's happy with and by the sounds of it she knows when to stop eating so if you feel like you give her too much or not enough she'll more than likely let you know. If she eats way too much she'll probably throw up. If she doesn't get enough she'll eat a few more bikkies.

Now, are we going to get any pics of your gorgeous girl?

They are way harder to train properly when allowed to graze at will and Bull Arabs and Bull Mastiffs are both incredibly stubborn and willful as it is.

I'm training her without the food orientation. I'm using body language and behaviour as her alpha to teach her how she should behave.

That just encourages her to scarf her food though, and that in itself is bad for her stomach. She shouldn't have to feel like she gets one or two shots a day at filling her stomach. If she knows you come outside to feed her, that's what she will look for every time you go outside. I know, because the people I live with have two dogs and the only time they go outside is to feed them so if you go out to hang up the washing or fill their water, they're there straight away to see what you have, jumping on everyone to see if they have food. IMO if she's happy to graze on bikkies and isn't fussed about how fast to eat don't worry about it.

You will find what she's happy with and by the sounds of it she knows when to stop eating so if you feel like you give her too much or not enough she'll more than likely let you know. If she eats way too much she'll probably throw up. If she doesn't get enough she'll eat a few more bikkies.

Now, are we going to get any pics of your gorgeous girl?

I just upgraded my phones os so got rid of my photos. I will take some more and post them

0128fd98-8009-1f6c.jpg

0128fd98-8033-c8c2.jpg

0128fd98-805d-5050.jpg

0128fd98-8076-96d7.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure shes a Bull Arab x Bull Mastiff, she doesn't look to be. She looks too small. She's nice whatever the case. This is mine, first 2 pics he was only 14 weeks.

Attachments

• 815.jpg
    815.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 24
  • 818.jpg
    818.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 13102011853.jpg
    13102011853.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 16
OK, just you said she was 8 kgs Kaeleb would have ben at least 15 at 7 months old. Bull Arabs generally have some pointer blood. I also forgot mine is 1/4 boxer on the Bull Arab side, he is not as tall as I expected he'd be but he still hasn't finished growing yet.

Hmm from what ive heard thats a big breed of dog ? and at that age the weight seems a bit light ? I have a 8 month old Shar pei whos only fed on Quality Dry food and he weighs a good 20 + kgs and hes not fat :)

Attachments

• Hummer.jpg
    Hummer.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 16
I just had this discussion not too long ago actually - and in the end, I use Hills Science Diet - Puppy (large breed) and K9 freeze dried raw food, it's quite the stuff!

There are a bunch of shops that sell this in Queensland as well, it's something he absolutely loves to eat!

Yeah and its also around 100$ + for 8kg bag and if u got a big dog he will eat you out of pocket lol

Nice dog, we picked up our first pup on Saturday.. I'm trying to train through body language and actions etc like you mentioned... Seems to be working, pup has been sleeping each night by itself no probs, little cry until I was come down and stare.. Any downsides to this?
We are feeding it royal canin dry puppy

Yeah and its also around 100$ + for 8kg bag and if u got a big dog he will eat you out of pocket lol

I spend more on myself - I admit it's expensive, there's no doubt. I pay around $200 a month to feed the dog... Well... Let's see, what's that per week... (200 x 12 / 52) - wow, that's less than $50 per week!

Not a lot really when you're concerned with the health of your animal.

Now, yes, my dog eats around 400 - 500g per day, not quite the hefty 800g yet! But he'll get there.

I think I can quite safely say that the cost of feeding my animals the best they can get is going to be significantly cheaper than the cost of requiring continual vet treatment for feeding on low grade foods. Call it insurance and peace of mind I guess :)

Nice dog, we picked up our first pup on Saturday.. I'm trying to train through body language and actions etc like you mentioned... Seems to be working, pup has been sleeping each night by itself no probs, little cry until I was come down and stare.. Any downsides to this?
We are feeding it royal canin dry puppy

You just have to teach your pup to interact with you how you want it to. Eg, constant crying or barking won't get it anywhere. When mine wants attention she comes over and sits next to you (most of the time, still not 100%) sometimes she will use a paw to give your leg a pat if you still are ignoring her. Much like 'shake'.

I've only had 2 problems with her training so far, birds and storms freak her out. Storms are obvious but birds came from 2 huge crows bullying her out of her food when she was young. Wouldn't even let her.out of her kennel.

The other possible downside, if you see it that way, is how protective they become. If I have a few of the snakes out cruising the front lawn she will come to the gate and won't calm down

And if you sneeze or cough or something, she won't leave you alone until she knows you're ok.

I lifted her up again with the idea of guessing her weight and I would put her a bit over 20kg. Not easy to tell. Also she is around knee height on me so about 50-60cm tall

Last edited:
Well i had a problem with my dog also , He was scared ****less of the leash ever since i got him...... Left it on him for 20 minutes at a time few times a day he gradually started to walk around with it on at the start i put it on he wouldnt move the whole time it was on. Put it on him this morning and he was up walking around the house , So i thought id give it a shot and walk him upto the park. To my supprise he was fine abit flighty at times but over all he was good :p thats my post for the day haha

I don't believe in all that alpha crap. We're their family, not their bosses. They do what we want to please us, not because we bully them and "demand" their respect.

As for your food, if your dog is doing fine on the food she is now there's really no need to change. If you notice bloating, allergic reactions, disgusting farts/breath, etc., then it's time to look into alternative foods. As for is it too much, there's no real guideline that works for every dog. It's great everyone's telling you how much they feed their dogs, but their dogs could be much more active or much less. You can visually weigh your dog though. If she's starting to get a little too fat, give her less food. If she's getting too thin and you can start to see her hip bones or ribs, feed her some more.

Alpha doesn't mean bully, I don't know why people think that -_- It provides them with a secure LEADER so they don't have to do all the stressing about where people are and what they're doing! It's like you don't let your kids worry about the bills and what you're having for dinner. It stops them being all panicky every time you step out the door because they don't know where you're going and didn't say you could leave. In a pack of dogs, yes even domestic ones, there will always be a leader to choose what happens and the others look up to it. 'Alpha' status simply means the dog looks to you for direction, not that they're **** scared of you. In fact a dog that is scared of you is even less likely to do what you say.

From what I've seen, the female teaches the puppies about the way the pack works from day dot. The easiest and least stressful way, for both parties, I've found for teaching my dog how to behave in my house is simply to communicate with her in the language she is taught to understand from birth. Alphas exist all over nature. I understand that society has recently developed a dislike for the idea of an alpha male but I'm raising a dog, not a pet. She doesn't just blindly obey because she is scared I will hurt her or because she thinks she will get a treat. She chooses to live the way I find acceptable because this is her pack, her family and it would be even more of a mad house if I let her run it. I've seen too many dogs left to own devices out in the yard simply because they grew out of becoming a puppy and now the owner doesn't know how to handle them. I treat her with the same respect I treat my reptiles. She also communicates with me using her body language. Anyway, thats my little two cents.

You don't have a pet, you have chosen to live with an animal. Can't handle it, get a gold fish

We only feed our dogs Hills Science Diet Active.
at 25kg ea they just get 200g of these biscuits a day and thats it.

I refuse to feed them chicken necks or the likes after seeing many dogs come into vets with them stuck in their throats or not digesting them properly and getting stuck on the way through. Same with raw bones.

My girls are a good weight and size for what they are and never lose weight.
their crap is small and as it should be.
It only works out to be $2 a day each for them to be fed on this diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back