Anyone a lawyer or solicitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting, and a bit discouraging. I had a look at the preliminary information that comes with a Victorian Application for a Private Wildilife Licence (PDF document) and it says, on page 5:

"Other Legal Obligations: In addition to compliance with the conditions of a wildlife licence, the Wildlife Act 1975 and the Wildlife Regulations 2002, a licence holder must also comply with any relevant State or Federal legislation or by-laws or other requirements of the relevant local council."

So whatever you do, don't say "she'll be apples". Make sure your council doesn't pass the law in the first place.

Good luck,
Renenet

This is interesting, and a bit discouraging. I had a look at the preliminary information that comes with a Victorian Application for a Private Wildilife Licence (PDF document) and it says, on page 5:

"Other Legal Obligations: In addition to compliance with the conditions of a wildlife licence, the Wildlife Act 1975 and the Wildlife Regulations 2002, a licence holder must also comply with any relevant State or Federal legislation or by-laws or other requirements of the relevant local council."

So whatever you do, don't say "she'll be apples". Make sure your council doesn't pass the law in the first place.

Good luck,
Renenet

Now that is very troubling indeed...

Good luck,
Renenet

Bloody Hell!!

How is having more then two snakes going to make problems to your neighbours? Soon they will tell you that you need to go to bed at 9:30pm.
Load of crap

First thing will be to find out if the proposed law is retrospective
In other words can it be used against householders with existing pets
Or can it only be used to stop more pets being added

Jeanine
Cat dog and noisy bird owners will have been the only reasons behind this proposed law

Looks loke someone enjoyed the noahs ark story a bit too much!
What a bunch of crap that proposal is!

ummm, exactly how much neighbour disturbing noise do reptiles make?
and how often are peoples pet reptiles found roaming the streets/jumping neighbours fences, killing neibouring pets and causing havoc?

does this comment actually have a valid point?

but its ok for council to restrict cat and dog owners to a limited number despite the right people doing the right things by keeping them registered, desexing them, cleaning up after them, etc?

come on whats good for the goose is good for the gander, i often wondered what would happen if a council ever tried something like this guess now i have the answer

Hi all. My local council are trying/going to bring in a by-law stating residents may only keep 2 reptiles (amongst other animals) I for one currently own many more than the allowable 2. I don't see how me owning more than 2 reptile effects my neighbors or council for that matter. So what can I do??

I would contact council staff and your local councilor to assertain the reason behind the proposal. I suspect that reptiles have been caught in the net of domestic animals generally and simple education of council may result in an exemption from proposed rules.

I am not a member oh of the VHS unfortunately but must admit I love to fight with council and get to do that alot through work. I think I will see my local state member of parliament thanks for the idea. I mean they are also saying you can have 2 rats or mice, 2 turtles, 2 Ferrets I mean the shire of yarra ranges is really just nannying our municipality
Commercial rodents are generally not a permissable use in a residential area , although I am not saying that 2 rats or mice is commercial. Most commercial rodent growers ignore the rules and produce rodents illegally on residential land. Issues such as smell and waste disposal are the main concern. It is not fair to expect residents to subsidise commercial operations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's also some animal welfare idea behind it too. But yes, do contact your local council and explain that reptiles, with proper husbandry, cannot bother the neighbours and can be kept in humane conditions.

All I have to say/ask is.. what the hell?

Councils should ban/restrict people, not reptiles. I find my neighbours have always been far more disruptive than my snakes and dragons ever could be..

Last edited:
I don't know why councils/governments fiddle with thing they shouldn't. All it will do is force people underground.

First thing will be to find out if the proposed law is retrospective
In other words can it be used against householders with existing pets
Or can it only be used to stop more pets being added

Jeanine
Cat dog and noisy bird owners will have been the only reasons behind this proposed law

I rang the council today to clarify and the funniest part is no-one can explain it kept getting told put it in writing and it will be addressed but after the deadline for objection they are really pushing my patience worst part is we will get caught with our book returns no matter what we are screwed good old shire of yarra ranges

Aaron,

From what I have read, and I am prepared to be corrected, but the by law is not relating to Reptiles or Wildlife kept under DSE wildlife licences and it in fact clearly states that such animals kept with a permit are not under these restrictions i.e. a licence holder with a wildlife licence can keep as many turtles or tortoises as is allowed by the terms of their permit.

Though in saying this, they do not specify where or what this permit is but just infer to it in part 15, page 49.

Cheers,
John

Hi John,
What it is proposing that we can apply for an except to there changes. It is separate to the DSE issued license.
They are using the term reptiles after speaking with a member of local laws she confirmed this but said I can apply for an exception to the change. She couldn't tell me how this would be considered nor how much it would cost me.

HI all

I hate to say it but if the bylaw is classed as retrospective you are going to have limited options.

If it is not then you will need to apply for an exemption to be allowed to continue to house the animals within the council limits. What they may do is put into effect a sunset clause which will allow you to keep what you have but may limit or ban increasing the numbers eg via breeding or trade/ purchase. This way they view this as fair (you get to keep what you have) but eventually the animals will die or trade them out and you will fall into line with the rest of the community.

If this fails you may be given an order to remove the animals or move out of the council limits.

Contact your council in writing, ask for confirmation of receipt of the correspondence and ask for an exemption to the proposed law. If you can, get a number of affidavits from people within the herpetological community attesting to your ability with species you keep and that housing is above or within the scope of the industry standard.

Good luck
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back