Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
David Williams showed a picture of a snake that eats inverts from PNG that has venom glands that run halfway down its back. It also has venom more potent than many of the Aussie elapids. The consensus presently seems to be Oxyuranus microlepidotus, Pseudonaja textilis and Oxyuranus scutellatus then the rest. All the other Australian elapids are rated a lot lower in contemporary lists than world top 10.

Australia having the top 11 doesnt sound right. Of all the lists ive seen i seem to recall always seeing the boomslang somewhere in the top 10. When more reaserch is done on the new species of taipan the list might no doubt change again.

David Williams showed a picture of a snake that eats inverts from PNG that has venom glands that run halfway down its back. It also has venom more potent than many of the Aussie elapids. The consensus presently seems to be Oxyuranus microlepidotus, Pseudonaja textilis and Oxyuranus scutellatus then the rest. All the other Australian elapids are rated a lot lower in contemporary lists than world top 10.

i may have heard wrong but didn't dr bryan fry say that bandy bandys have similar venom to browns? but due to their nature and size a lethal bite would be extremely rare, but there is no antivenom that works either!

and i've heard that the stiletto snake has the most potent venom in the world.

Do you have a name or pic for this invert eater with the back glands? Sounds wild.

i may have heard wrong but didn't dr bryan fry say that bandy bandys have similar venom to browns? but due to their nature and size a lethal bite would be extremely rare, but there is no antivenom that works either!

no not like browns but i do remember him mentioning that they are possibly much more venomous than first thought and yes no antivenom.
I read a paper that mentioned Bandy Bandy venom that was extracted then injected into a rabbit killed it in 15 mins.
I have a mate who was bitten by a bandy bandy on the web inbetween fingers,he had some localised effects only.

I also know someone who was bitten by a Bandy bandy and he had no effects at all.

The Papuan Taipan and the Papuan Black were thrown in there too somewhere. Like Longqi said there is a difference between "Most Venomous" and "Most Deadly".

1 the one you just trod on....
2 the one you thought was an olive python and thought you'd show your friends......
3 the one in you're hand your'e not paying attention to because your mate is wrangling a much bigger one....

anyone want to finish the list?

4 the one you really should have left alone but decided to save the world from by trying to kill.

Do you have a name or pic for this invert eater with the back glands? Sounds wild.

I cant find the picture as the link seems to have died but I am pretty sure it was a Toxicocalamus species found on one of the island off the coast. It lives in the litter around the palm planatations and eats slugs.

I cant find the picture as the link seems to have died but I am pretty sure it was a Toxicocalamus species found on one of the island off the coast. It lives in the litter around the palm planatations and eats slugs.

Perhaps the venom glands in its back are where they keep their taste buds. What a diet! :)

yer the "new taipan" is supposed to be the most venomous "3x the inland"
SORCE: The person sent over to photograph it :p

yer the "new taipan" is supposed to be the most venomous "3x the inland"
SORCE: The person sent over to photograph it

I'd think it pretty likely that when the other two species are so deadly the new taipan is probably not far behind, but without anything being published it's hard to know. Not to mention that some of the lists given say "Death Adder" there is more than one species, there toxins aren't that different, I'd highly doubt that if one is on the list others aren't, unless of course it's coming in at 10th place. Then another question is why aren't more browns on the list? Because most of them weren't tested. So we're putting a snake at 2nd and then not testing another group of its closest relatives? Seems likely some of those might end up on there as well....

My main point here is that these lists are pretty much pure bull.

Last edited:

Seems unusual that a snake that feeds on something as slow and defenseless as a slug would need a powerful, toxic venom...

just briefly on temporalis, they currently have not tested for ld 50's yet..... I would check your source!!!

venom samples have been extracted etc but information as to yields, make up of toxins etc has not been published as yet. As for photographs of the species in life there not many, as the animals held are more or less still in quarantine they have not been displayed yet. Further information on the species will be published shortly

Cheers,
Scott

The following articles have photos of O. temporalis...
'Secret' snake, rare deadly taipan, discovered in WA | Perth Now
Rare taipans found in WA's Great Victorian Desert, head to Adelaide Zoo | Perth Now

When you say “venomous” I presume you are referring exclusively to venom toxicity drop for drop. There are several issues involved which do not make it straight forward. These were initially brought to my attention by Scott and are supported by my research into the topic...

The LD50 is the most commonly used method of measuring toxicity. Whilst there is a recommended breed of laboratory mice to be used, some facilities vary in their choice. It has also been shown that different genetic lines within a breed can give different results. The method of performing the assessment needs to exactly the same in every case to obtain comparable results and such has not always been the case. Under such circumstances, animals are often omitted from comparative lists. There are also a number of highly toxic snakes that have not been assayed and a number that have been measured using an alternative ranking. It has long been known that in some snakes, their toxicity varies over their geographic range. Bryan Fry and co have now discovered that the actual components present in the venom of a species can alter over their geographic range as well.

Blue

I thought a bushmaster or a fierce snake would have got a mention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back