Why do so many people have a hatred towards JAGS???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockett85

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I personally love the jag line i know it comes with its issues but they are an amazing snake and can produce the most beautiful looking young. It was a natural mutation with the coastal that has now taken off so why do so many people disagree with it???????? (except for the cross breeding of carpets of course). Some people just have a real hatred for them!!

A. they started here in oz from smuggled animals.
B. they have the messed up neuro issue.
C. they have so easily caused confusion within the hobby. ie, jag/rpm

If humans have a faulty gene they are advised never to have kids
We accept that
But would you happily breed a snake, knowing it will definitely have faulty genes and very possibly debilitating neurological problems?

While it is good to see colour variations
Somewhere there has to be a line drawn

We accept that
But would you happily breed a snake, knowing it will definitely have faulty genes and very possibly debilitating neurological problems?

I wrote this same point...then decided it wasn't going to be worth the backlash despite the truth! so good on you Longqi!

We accept that

i do understand what everyone means and at first was hesitant to get a jag but now i have 1 and another on the way. My current male shows no signs of neuro but i do know it may show up later on and surprise me but for now he is a yearling and looking amazing and cant wait to see what happens with the jag line in the future!

in regards to point a and point b although i agree are personal opinion but point b is a very serious issue and should NOT be ignored!

I knew this was controversial but was keen to see everyone's opinion on the matter. They are a touchy subject and i already know of the main reasons eg: come from smuggled animal, the neuro issue and the jag or rpm issue but i was just curious as to what other thoughts people had.

I knew this was controversial but was keen to see everyone's opinion on the matter. They are a touchy subject and i already know of the main reasons eg: come from smuggled animal, the neuro issue and the jag or rpm issue but i was just curious as to what other thoughts people had.

I think you just pointed to the exact reasons they are hated..... When u breed an animal KNOWING it is going to have neurological issues for example is very wrong

I think you just pointed to the exact reasons they are hated..... When u breed an animal KNOWING it is going to have neurological issues for example is very wrong
Wish I could like that some more....but they are so pretty...aah

Why ask if you already knew?

You already knew... you clearly just wanted to vent some steam on the issue.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally wouldn't touch a jag with a ten foot pole... why would I when there are pure australian snakes with better patterns and zero neuro issues?

Owning a jag now, you should be prepared to take peoples opinions and accept them. If you do a search you will find MANY heated debates on the issue already. Whats more... with recent new pure morphs and a lot of peoples hard work selectively breeding beautiful reduced pattern australian animals... the jag price will go through the floor. Perhaps that is really what you are annoyed about?

We accept that

longqi,l agree 100% with what you have said here in your post and could not have said it better myself good on you.

l myself think all forms of Reptile's should be left as they are out in the wild pure, us humans only create or design Reptile's based on pattern and colours, cause we want to get as much money as we can all because of human greed.

Some of us just don't care one bit about the future of Animals on this planet, cause those who try and design new colours and patterns in Reptile's, know they wont be around for ever where if they did care they wouldn't do it would they each and everyone to their own opinion.

l would not pay 1 cent or would l let any Jag Carpet or any other cross-breed Python's near my home.

Last edited:
I don't Think its worth having to kill half te clutch for the sake of a pretty snake. Talkto someone who has seen the neuro affects, it's messed up

Last edited:
When people care more about money and pretty colours, more than the potential issues contributed for an animals wellbeing due to poor breeding and husbandry issues. This where this hobby is going backward.
How can someone honestly believe that they are improving and moving this hobby forward when you know you are encouraging and spreading a faulty gene in our already beautiful snakes? You cannot, but greed is blind.

There I said it.

When people care more about money and pretty colours, more than the potential issues contributed for an animals wellbeing due to poor breeding and husbandry issues. This where this hobby is going backward.
How can someone honestly believe that they are improving and moving this hobby forward when you know you are encouraging and spreading a faulty gene in our already beautiful snakes? You cannot, but greed is blind.

There I said it.

THANKYOU
very well said...couldnt agree with you more.
cheers
mel

Woah this is almost as bad as the onslaught of mentioning hybrids on a fish forum! Just say the word, run away and come back to 4 pages of massacre by the next morning. haha.

I have a heavily nuero jag... It functions..Just in a ''special'' way.
Would i bother breeding with it?..No.. I don't think the result is worth the drama...

I personally love the jag line i know it comes with its issues but they are an amazing snake and can produce the most beautiful looking young. It was a natural mutation with the coastal that has now taken off so why do so many people disagree with it???????? (except for the cross breeding of carpets of course). Some people just have a real hatred for them!!
So what is "amazing" about them? If it's only their looks that is "amazing" does that outweigh the fact they can't hold their head up?
I don't understand you asking why people disagree, you already know. What's your point?

Let’s see.

Some negatives.
1. Supporting Jags ultimately supports smuggling, which encourages cruelty to animals, and is major biosecurity risk not just to our captive animals but also to our wild fauna which would have a limited resistance to exotic pathogens.

2. Every Jag carries the potential for nasty neuro symptoms, which must surely affect its quality of life.

3. Produces large amounts of unwanted Jag sibs which are either euthanized or sold off which muddies the waters of pure lines.

And some positives.

1. Some are pretty

2. It will make a lot of money for a select few breeders.

It is good to see where everyone's priorities lie.......

i agree no animal should just be bred for its colours knowing some can die etc i know some one that had one and at 3 years old just died for a unknown reason I've hated it since the day i found out exactly what it was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back