Measuring humidity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryant16

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering how you guys measure and control humidity within your tanks. Can you recommend any particular brands of humidity guages or controllers as well as specific misting devices. Thanks guys
ryan

The old Humidistats used horse hair that would lengthen at a set rate the wetter it got but now they are all electronic. You should be able to get either a combination humidi/thermostat or just a humidistat to control the humidity. They use them for growing indoor plants without dirt, aquaculture I think. They could help with ideas on misting as well. Another source is a refrigeration wholesaler, as they are also used in air conditioning.

I have found ones on eBay which are like 5 bucks and just have a hygrometer probe and that's it. Would this be efficient enough. It says accurate to 1 degree!? This is purely because I live in Darwin and want to find out the humidity level of a tank set up during the day. Thanks for the help fugawi

If you can get one for $5 great. If it is electronic it may tell you the humidity levels. Maybe sit the hygrometer in the yard, in the shade, on a table and compare it with the Bureau of Meteorology humidity levels for that day to check it.

If you can get one for $5 great. If it is electronic it may tell you the humidity levels. Maybe sit the hygrometer in the yard, in the shade, on a table and compare it with the Bureau of Meteorology humidity levels for that day to check it.

That's a very good idea to test its accuracy. You are a genious. Thanks again.

It shouldn't be 1 degree it should be % as you measure Relative Humidity not actual humidity.

The herp shop sells combined humidity and temperature sensors. They aren't too expensive and they work quite well. Controlling humidity is slightly trickier. I'm planning one building something that I hope to sell next year but I haven't really seen any commercial products around that can control it to a certain percentage. Most people just mist their enclosures with a spray bottle every now and then to stop it getting too low

To fully accurately control humidity, you would need to hermetically seal the enclosure (water tight) as humidity will flow from a wetter area towards a lower area and try to equalise. As this is impossible in an enclosure, you will only ever truly hold the humidity levels to within 10-15% of the ambient levels.

The herp shop sells combined humidity and temperature sensors. They aren't too expensive and they work quite well. Controlling humidity is slightly trickier. I'm planning one building something that I hope to sell next year but I haven't really seen any commercial products around that can control it to a certain percentage. Most people just mist their enclosures with a spray bottle every now and then to stop it getting too low

do you mean buliding something like when a thermostat turns a heat cord off when it reaches a certain temperture, but in this case a hygrometer that turns something like a misting system on and off throught out the day to reach a desired humidity percentage?

when measuring humidity do you have the probe in the middle center of cage?

do you mean buliding something like when a thermostat turns a heat cord off when it reaches a certain temperture, but in this case a hygrometer that turns something like a misting system on and off throught out the day to reach a desired humidity percentage?

when measuring humidity do you have the probe in the middle center of cage?

Yes exactly like that. If I get it working that is...

Just put it wherever your temperature probe is.

Yes exactly like that. If I get it working that is...

i might be mistaken here so correct me if im wrong.
but isnt there a direct correlation to increased mositure + heat equals higher humidity percentages. so if you did build something like what you are planning would it have to be a three way monitoring/functioning device that simultaniously triggers misting systems and heat creating items like a cord or a mat and using them in a combination with a thermostat and hygrometer to reach a specific percentage of humidity. if so completely and utterly over my head but im interested in your response saximus and any imput from you fugawi

Yeah you're completely right Ryan but for reptiles the level of accuracy required isn't high enough to make it that complex. I plan to just control the two separately and have them balance out between themselves. It means the system would/will respond slower but like I said it isn't a huge issue in this situation

Yeah you're completely right Ryan but for reptiles the level of accuracy required isn't high enough to make it that complex. I plan to just control the two separately and have them balance out between themselves. It means the system would/will respond slower but like I said it isn't a huge issue in this situation

that would be a very good product to own. i do hope you end up making something like that saximus , it would be particularly good for those specific reptiles that require relatively specific humidty levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back