newbi looking for a snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IVO318

Not so new Member
Reaction score
:) hi all i want to get a snake got my lic and whant to know what snakes are suitable for a newbi not much experience want a snake thats easy to handel and look after any pointers welcome cheers and many thanks in advance.Ivo:D

hey mate welcome to the site see the lil search option on the top right had corner trie using that ive only been here a few months but ive already seen so many threads on this so you wont have any trouble finding one

go with whatever you want, just maken sure you do plenty of research before you purchase the python

Welcome :) Get a woma very hardy python and they love food :) haha

I have woma pythons but i wouldn't recommend them as a first snake very aggressive when it comes to food time my first snake was a.
diamond intergrade he's great but make sure you get the snake as a hatchling as it will get use to you handling it.
Just remember some snakes can get big so make sure u pick a good snake that suits you hope i could help.

Welcome to APS! :) Best to find a python that you like the look of and do some research. Then decide if it's the python for you. :) Personally, i would recommend the Stimson's python. They don't get very big, are easy to care for and generally good to handle :) Good luck!

i would recommend a carpet python. very hardy to keep, and most are fairly placid. easy feeders and generally are very easy to keep.
if u just want one, then go with wat u want. but if u want a starter python to learn the basics and then want to get wat u want start of with a easy hardy specie.

Dude its all personal preferance. Just make sure you get a snake your intrested in, that your going to be keen to learn about and research. I have seen people get all different snakes as their first, and when you do your homework it is never difficult :)

Mate as most people have said it comes down to personal preference. And it is true make sure you do your research on the snake you like before purchasing the last thing you want to do is just rush in to it and end up with a snake you don't like/can't look after. I personally would stay away from children's but perhaps a spotted, Stimson or maybe even a bredli.

One thing you will need to understand as well is keeping and caring for a snake is not cheap and you may find that once you get one you with get bitten with the bug as most of us all here have lol. One snake is never enough.

So it a nutshell:

1. DO YOUR RESEARCH PLEASE!!!
2. Dont be afraid to ask questions that is what we are all here for.
3. Definitely get the snake as a hatchie (they will bite you heaps but it doesn't hurt as their teeth are tiny however you need the snake to get used to you holding it)
4. Understand these animals are not like cats and dogs - THEY WILL BITE YOU IF YOU PISS THEM OFF
5. Make sure you have enough income to support the snake I.e: food, enclosure, bedding, heating etc.
6. Check your local vet or any vets in the area to see If any of them care for snakes because the last thing you want is a sick snake that you can't get help for.
7. Always make sure you get a movement advice when purchasing a snake.
8. This is the most important one of all - Have fun and welcome to
APS :D

Hope this helped
Michael from Chaos pythons

I'm a rookie snake owner too, but in my last few months of owning a snake I will list you two species deffinately worth lookin into. Firstly anything in the Antaresia family as they don't grow massively big and are great for a beginner, the other I would say is the Bredli, not only because they are of average size only reaching a max of about 2.2 meters in length but because they seem to be more placid as well. But I suppose this can't be ruled down to the whole species, just individuals lol. What ever your choice may be expect to be bitten as it does happen lol. When I first started I got tagged alot, mainly because my little Childreni wasn't handled so much as a baby lol. But they do settle and become more comfortable with constant handling, hope this helps :) and welcome to APS.

Last edited:
the other I would say is the Bredli, not only because they are of average size only reaching a max of about 2.2 meters in length but because they seem to be more placid as well.

actually while the Bredli tends to average out at around 2 and a bit metres, many in captivity have grown to over 3 metres. It also needs to be noted that they grow to be a very thick, heavy set python, and sometimes this can make them a bit awkward, if not entirely difficult to handle once older...

hi caos and thanks what do you mean by "movement advice"sorry silly question but it has diferent meanings to me ie;travel,where its come from,number 2's lol

a movement advise is a bit of mandotory paper work that is filled out when a licenced animl is moved from one permit to another permit,

usualy the seller is responcible for obtaining one but it pays to ask about it first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back