Why do so many people have a hatred towards JAGS???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If humans have a faulty gene they are advised never to have kids
We accept that
But would you happily breed a snake, knowing it will definitely have faulty genes and very possibly debilitating neurological problems?

While it is good to see colour variations
Somewhere there has to be a line drawn

It is obvious we have a number of opinions on this debate whether it's for, against or on the fence for jags.
It seems to me the main debate is about the looks vs the neuro issues.
I am not familiar with the jag gene but can the neuro issues be bred out by any chance?

I'm sorry longqi but your comparison of snake breeding to the human race I feel are a little inappropriate and as for accepted ? I don’t agree!
My mother has a "faulty gene" called retinitis pigmentosa which has the potential for her offspring to go blind.
Luckily for me I carry the gene but will not be affected by it.

One of my good friends parents both have down syndrome, he is a completely normal man and a successful chef working one of Australia’s most respected restaurants currently holding 3 hats. Their decision to have a child may not sit well with some people but the result speaks for itself.
Please don’t get me wrong and I totally agree with not breeding a snake which will definitely suffer neuro issues. Anyone with a heart should not want to see a pet suffering purely for their looks or for money!
If there are many jags with little neuro issues and there is a possibility of breeding it out then, I’m all for continuing the line If they all have neuro and all pets in the future will suffer from it, I’d prefer no more pets should be subjected to torment for looks or money !

Well what is your point? Put it out there plain and simple. Jags are here to stay, like it or not. They are likely to be one of the best, and worst things for this hobby. It's all in how you take it, and how those producing them manage their stock and records. Any self respecting herper should carry as many records as possible for their individual snakes heritage, and a lot of people carry self recorded pedigrees on their animals.

If YOU keep records on YOUR animals and have some self control on buying an animal that may not be 'pure' then how will this effect you and your collection? And if you do decide to buy said animal - then don't breed it!

Some jags can have health issues - so can a lot of other animals in the animal industry, why aren't any of you kicking a stink about them?
This is a reptile discussion, so GSD hip displacement, is not likely to come up....as I have said a hundred times on a hundred threads on the subject, the greedy and the plastic herp lovers, will remain blind to what real rep lovers are saying....you cannot condone the unpardonable.

There is no real difference, it is possible to buy Jags and pure lines in the rest of the world, it isn't as if every line of morelia is 'infected' with the Jag gene.

Jags are here, we just need to manage that now and be different to other Countries and because we have both in the hobby now, we NEED to be able to distinguish between the 2 for the sake of the hobby and to make Australian Hepers different from the rest of the world and to manage this correctly, honestly for the benefit of both sides of the debate! JMO...

OMG are some of you people serious? had to laugh at the quote you wouldnt breed people with genetic problems????? hello....are you saying people with dwarfism and genetic blindness or even diabetics who are proneto it in their family shouldnt have children??? totally stupid comparison!

as for the Jag debate, i am really interested in just how many of the so called you tub experts have kept or even seen a Jag in real life? get off your high horses everyone and accept there are people who like and will keep them and others who wont.
who the hell are you to say these animals are not worth living? they are special aniamls and have their own traits, nuro is a problem but i have an animal that was going to be PTS due to its nuro and she is a fantastic animal and one of my best feeders. if the aussie breeders freeze the jag sibs and ones with bad nuro then shame on you as a nation and as a hobby there. it certainly isnt a problem here.
Jags arent the only breed or morph in the world to show nuro (funny how its the reduced patterns that show it the most, but thats another debate).

Its the blind diabetic dwarves, who had the foresight to bring these abominations into gods world....damn you all

There is no real difference, it is possible to buy Jags and pure lines in the rest of the world, it isn't as if every line of morelia is 'infected' with the Jag gene.

you know what mate, i would kill for some of the pure aussie breeds you have and for the ones we can get over here to be guarenteed pure (darwin albinos here just suddenly spring to mind!). although i like and keep Jags and crosses my first love is pure aussie pythons, i just see a place in the hobby for both as long as you know what they are. wan***s that sell them as one thing and thy know full well they are not are whats causing the problems.....no matter where in the world you are.

Its the blind diabetic dwarves, who had the foresight to bring these abominations into gods world....damn you all

****** ME!! they are responsible for the Jags too!!!! burn them at the stake i say!

This is a reptile discussion, so GSD hip displacement, is not likely to come up....as I have said a hundred times on a hundred threads on the subject, the greedy and the plastic herp lovers, will remain blind to what real rep lovers are saying....you cannot condone the unpardonable.

Hahaha plastic herp lovers, I like that!

I have to say this thread has been an eye opener for me. First of all to the people who think the question should not have been asked,I being new to the hobby had know idea that Jags existed and their was a neuro issue with them. So the question is doing its job by educating people to the possible problems that exist. Personally I would not deliberately buy or breed non pure lines of any animal especially if there is a known problem that cant be bred out. All i can hope is the people who do choose to keep these animals are able to cope with their needs and keep them a stress free as possible. Educating and helping people with their problems is the main reason forums like this exist and this thread has achieved both.

Lets face it....

166942_2564091136498_1080709962_2687740_1380152301_n.jpg

That saying ( The red writing on that beautiful poster) has nothing whatsoever to do with terrorism ;) That just means that : We believe in One GOD, and that Mohommad is his Prophet. Its a prayer every muslim says before opening the holy book, and thats how every muslim in the whole universe begins his/her prayer. Just thought i would clear it for you guys ;)

Last edited:
it seems to me that some organisation needs to bring in pedigree papers so that if you want animals with out jag in there breeding you can check family history same as dogs horse etc. the herp societies are so far behind every other pet animals and yet we are asking and paying ridiculous prices just because some one we dont know tells us its parental linage. I for one have never paid for a snake nor sold any snakes lizard or turtles, even if i breed the best looking pure diamond the world would ever know if it was excess to my needs it would be offered for free or swapped. They originally came from the bush so i dont think i should profit from it bit like rapeing of plants or bushrock then flogging it off. thats my 2 cents anyway

ok read alll the pages and as someone who is looking at buying a snake at some stage and having her own collection of non breeding reps, i would not buy any cat dog bird mouse rat frog horse liazard or snake that had any neuro issues or any could be costly and avoidable health issues just beacause they are pretty..
i would much rather have a mutt or a dog or cat or a plain brown unpretty coloured snake if where it came from was loving and clean and had no hisory of mental or emotional or chemical or physical health issues.
i am not one of the people looking for a trophy pet one that looks good but that is all.
prolly put my 2c in the incoorect way

Yawn!
After reading one of these threads it seems you have read them all.
Im bored... Good night!

Is there anyway to have a jag that doesn't have the problems?

All Jags POTENTIALLY have issues ranging from a slight twitch to corkscrewing. Many never show any signs at all and many other display slight signs while a minority show what could be described as major symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back