Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jags, for or against

• For

Votes: 47 28.0%
  • Against

Votes: 78 46.4%
  • Dont care either way

Votes: 43 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately there are lots of dishonest people in this hobby, the arrival of Jags hasn't increased or decreased their numbers.

whats this about a sp code? is this saying what they are i.e Jungle/diamond/bredli ect? if so YES they should as a lotare made up of different sp.
would this help you sib prolem over there? not sure how you work and would like to learn more as im a bit of an aussie python geek (sorrrry!)

What's not to love ?
etype.jpg

what boa! a red Jag......you breeding bredli jags????

Last edited:
Sp code is just something we have to put in our books, when complying with our license conditions.....In theory it should cross reference, to prove the reps validity.............red tape!

Unfortunately yes just red tape, it doesn't actually mean anything as you could put them in your books as any sp you like.

Emmabee
If you look through threads here such as the Jungle thread, you will see purebred snakes that overseas buyers would kill to get their hands on
Some of them equal or surpass the best jags ever created and they lines are improving every year in every species
Now though, whenever a new line of morelia appears, the first question asked is, does it have Jag?
The question is very relevant particularly in Australia
Regardless of the degree ALL Jags have neurological problems to greater or lesser extent
All Jag eggs will have a mixture of normal and Jag
Exactly what happens with the offspring is a potentially huge problem because if an unsuspecting buyer introduces Jag into a previously pure line that line is permanently 'corrupted' in the eyes of many
Even an unsubstantiated rumour that Jag is in a line could have a very negative effect on future sales

That is the reason why there is so much active and sometimes heated discussion over Jags here

Since there been like 89 Jag threads in the last 3 days i thought i would just post a pic here instead of making a new thread

I JUST GOT A JAG :D lol
small.jpg

Last edited:
To me, it shows that over half the community on this site put bling above health of the animals, and the security of future Oz lines...............read this thread in 10 years!

At the end of the day the governing bodies are hardly going to say
"Well these are illegal, everyone hand them in" so it's a moot point.
They are here to stay.

Yes it is a sad fact that they are here to stay.

For Emmabee... Why is it that you have such a craving for pure morelia? Is it because they are hard to get overseas?

I don't crossbreed subspecies and never will, all my snakes are locality specific except for the Nor westerns. I have no intention of buying into the jag scene at all, but I do truly sympathize for the breeders who have been working for years on lines of reduced pattern that have now had this scene thrust upon them. In a year or two there will be pure RP lines that aren't jag in Aust, they have come from hard work and as a necessity to fill a void of pretty snakes. But now all reduced pattern will be looked at with a mistrusting eye, as pedigreeing is non-existant, and now will never get off the ground.
The jags were brought in by a dodgy, unscrupulous person/s who only wanted the big bucks and f..... everyone else who was honestly working away. The window for the jags is closing as pure lines meet the need for reduced pattern, but now there is the unknown factor, and that sucks.

It makes it hard for people who want pure RP morelia and are against the thought of breeding retarded mutants. Some people actually do care about breeding animals with a known genetic defective nervous system, enough to not want to be involved, and definatly not own one.

Also the reason your jag sibs sell well overseas is probably because you have a shortage of good aussie snakes, that isn't the case here.

Well if Jags and the Neuro scare you,..you could always go the Jag Antaresia. Just the other day on facebook I saw for the first time a x bred Childrens/Maccie......... I'd like an Albino WheatBelt.

Love jags, hope I can breed them when I get my new tanks up and running.

To me, it shows that over half the community on this site put bling above health of the animals, and the security of future Oz lines...............read this thread in 10 years!

in 10 years there will still be pure lines but they will have been line bred to look like Jags however.........

check out what the yanks are doing with aussie pythons, I have been watching for a while now and am finding its just starting to take off over here.
We are about 10yrs or more behind, but the trends are almost identical, and if followed carefully there are some hot looking snakes with big $$$ to be made!
There will always be the untouched originals for the die hards, but why not play around a bit and enjoy the huge variety of morphs that will be in the near future...we cant stop it so sit back and enjoy

check out what the yanks are doing with aussie pythons, I have been watching for a while now and am finding its just starting to take off over here.
We are about 10yrs or more behind, but the trends are almost identical, and if followed carefully there are some hot looking snakes with big $$$ to be made!
There will always be the untouched originals for the die hards, but why not play around a bit and enjoy the huge variety of morphs that will be in the near future...we cant stop it so sit back and enjoy

We are only behind the international community with Jags
Most international breeders would give up their first born sons for some of the Jungles etc that are being bred here
Compare any snake you can find on the jungle thread to the best pure jungle you can find overseas
There is simply no comparison
Show any yank or european breeder some of our top snakes and they nearly burst into tears
We are far ahead of them with pure lines of most species

Until of course you throw a bit of head wobble into the picture

@ cement, yes pure are really hard to get hold of here. not so much your coastals, bredlis and jungles but your locale sp., darwins and inlands then yes they are.

again its also about buying off trusted breeders over here. id rather pay a bit more for an animals whos what im told it is. there are only a few breeders here id buy off due to this reason.
its funny but over here Jag sibs sell for more than a pure coastal!

i can get hold of the majority of animals i want (only one i can only dream of!) so we are spoilt here a bit, its the price of them thats the problem meaning i can only add the pures at a slow rate!
still cant get a female olive python though!

@longgii as you know we have a massive problem with cross bred boas over here as well as the carpets. there are always loads of "what am i" threads on that other UK site! im even going as far as to have my hog islands DNA tested before i breed them so i can see how muddied their bloodlines are.
in the UK Jags are always going to be big but there seems more people line breeding and the RP bredli line is really interesting.

@ cement, yes pure are really hard to get hold of here. not so much your coastals, bredlis and jungles but your locale sp., darwins and inlands then yes they are.

I would imagine that with the locale specific side of things in regards to the desirability of Australian pythons to keepers overseas would not be a significant factor over simply obtaining a pure bred specimen. I would think that the locale specific component would mean a lot more to people who have visited some of the places and seen firsthand many of our reptiles that have a bit of area specific uniqueness about them. It certainly made a huge difference to my attitude, that’s for sure. Perhaps in some small way, this is in part why the Jags don't really mean a lot to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back