Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking into getting my first snake and i was wondering what everyone's thoughts were. I really love GTP's And Jungle pythons. They are beautiful. I had some good advice from ricky_91. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were as well. If you don't recommend either of these snakes for my first could you let me know what else you would recommend that i get.

Thanks in advance :)

yeah jungles are beautiful. A friend of mine has one. I love it so much.

I have four jungles and I love them all 2 atherton locality and 2 tully locality

just remember Green tree pythons are harder to keep and probably not recommended for a beginner

Jungles can be nasty however we are noticing more and more than they have softer temperaments all 4 of mine are lovely

I have 2 jungles they are both great to handle also have 2 murray darlings highly recommend one of these as a beginners snake more so than jungles they have super quiet temprement jungles were a little snappy in early stages the murray darlings have never looked like biting

Firstly - Where are u from?... Secondly, even though, GTP are not as hard to look after as some people believe, they do require extra care and if you can't afford the right set up can be time conssuming. - Having said that, and having a GTP -I wouldn't recommend getting one as a first snake! Your first snake should be one that you can cuddle up on daily basis and take out whenever you feel like. :lol: GTP I'm affraid is not one of those. Very pretty snake indeed, but it is believed that GTP shouldn't be handled as much as other snakes! But whatever you get - make sure you read, read, read and learn - and don't worry the 2nd, 3rd, 4th will follow very soon...thats the things about snakes - very addictive!

its true....my first jungle Elvira had my husband and two teenage sons bailed up one day when I was out and they wanted to get her out for a hold. She was only three months old and essed herself up in the corner of her click clack and snapped lol. I came home and said to her 'darling what have those big baddies done to you" reached in and just picked her up....I am sure she responded to me being really confident. So if you think you wil be nervous go to a big breeder who knows his lines well and can help you pick out a lovely placcid Murray Darling

having said that Elvira is now a sook, she really responded to regular handling and knows us and really loves to come out...my other three jungles are really placcid as well. I think its about talking to one of the really well known breeders like Solar 17, Jungle Freak or Colin etc there are some really helpful people here who should be able to pick you out a really nice hatchy

Last edited:
Did Ricky reccomend those 2 snakes?
How do you know it's good advice?

gosia - Im in Qld. I just want a GTP because they are beautiful. Why should GTP's not be handled as much as other snakes?

Darlyn - No ricky didn't recommend these to me they are what i have look at my self. He told me that he wouldn't suggest a GTP as my first snake.

lackhawk1975 - I know how snappy jungles can be at the early stages. My friend has one. I got bitten a few times by it when was a baby. That part doesn't really bother me. I just want snake that a pretty to look at with a good temper that i can play with and handle with ease when its older.

Fantazmic - Thanks for the Recommendations

so Solar 17, Jungle Freak and Colin or anyone also that has experience in jungles. what are your thoughts. Would you be able to help me out Finding the right snake for me.

Thanks everyone for your tips as well.

Have you had a good look at what is available. Lots of pretty ones.
Whatever you choose good luck and. plenty of info here.
Whereabouts in QLD are you?
North? South?

When you see the aftermath of a gtp bite you will understand! They are a very much "look but dont you dare touch" snake.

Can i suggest you type "snakebytes" into youtube. they make a new show every week, one of the biggest breeders in the world, and it is always interesting and very informative :)

GTPs are gorgeous. I will get one as soon as I'm a position to do so. As others have said, if you are after something you can handle, get the jungle. GTP hatchies are fragile and it seems to be mostly agreed among people who breed and keep them that they shouldn't be handled in their first 12 months. Having seen a few GTP babies quite recently, I'd agree wholeheartedly. After that, how much handling they can take becomes a little controversial. They're also very expensive, if money is a concern. If you are still keen, do as much research as you can and then research some more. The must-have bible is The More Complete Chondro - I think that's the latest version, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Whatever you choose, it pays to do your research first because breeders who care about what they do are often concerned to find good homes for their animals. If you go for a jungle, we're lucky here in Queensland, two of the three Fantazmic mentioned are in the state. If you can, visit the hatchies before choosing one. Handle them if you can, although some breeders, quite understandably, might not allow you to. If you explain to the breeder what you're looking for, you should end up with a hatchie that's right for you.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing the pictures.:)

Seraph,

It is still very controversal but most GTP breeders belive that they should not be handled due to 1. Their fregile tail and too that it can cause spinal defects etc. - though it hasn't been proven - or atleast I haven't seen any evidence of that, only when snake was misstreated completly. If you type this:
Handling GTPs - into the search, top right on this page it will come up with a usefull post made by Waterrat. Experianced GTP keepers exchange views on this issue - worth reading.
Not only the handling issue but GTP need moisture as well as heat, you have to be careful not to over feed them and they cost more money - you really need to get your set up right and if $ is a problem - I really wouldn't get it as your first snake.

I have a friend who had a GTP, he got his at the same time as I got mine. This guy is experienced, had snakes for over 10 years and his colletion at the moment sits on 15 snakes. So by right he should know what he was doing. 3 weeks ago his GTP died - y? ....overfeeding! I told him many times that he was overfeeding but he wouldn't listen as he felt he was more experienced then me.... but my point is when you spend that kind of $ - you really want to get it right! Not only for the benifit of your pocket but the snake as well.

If you decide however to go ahead and get one anyway - please make sure you research you breeder, you want someone that will take the time to explain things to you as well as be happy to answer any questions, you may have down the track! Few fantastic breaders on this site.

But like I said before whatever you will get, another one will soon followshortly! so get something easy, cuddly and small - untill you get the hang of it and are comfortable to handle it and do it right before you get a GTP ;)

Thanks for all the great advice guy. I think for now i will just stick with the jungle python. I never realised how much effort and maintenance a GTP was. I deficiently need more experience before i get one. I definitely want one i can handle and play with. That is easy to look after.

This may be a silly question but how do you over feed a snake. From what i have learned so far.... you feed them let them digest it and defecate n wait a few days then feed them again. Is that the right kind of method or have i got it all wrong. If different snakes feed differently how do you tell how to feed it. Will a good breeder tell you when you buy it.

You may also find that jungles can be a bit "bitey" when young so that may not suit you either.
Maybe check out a Darwin and see if you like the look of them. (I'm biased tho cos I have one).

Yeah i know they can be a bit snappy. I have two friends with jungle pythons. The jungle i have spent time with since my mate got it was great it was only a little snappy when you were getting it out of the tank. That one was from a good breeder that helped my mate lots and provided photos of the parents and grandparents and was very informative. The other one im not sure what kind of breeder it was from but it bites like there is no tomorrow.

The difference between them in crazy. Is that just because they have to different temperaments or could it be because of the different kind of breeders they were from.

Also i was looking at photos of snakes on google and i found one that is absolutely beautiful. Its called a piebald ball python..... Can anyone tell me anything thing about these snakes. Can get them in Australia or not.

I'd say the difference is one of temperament - nothing to do with the breeder.

No ball pythons, or any other exotics, are allowed in Australia. It can be frustrating, but in my opinion there are good reasons for it.

Edit: Geck, you beat me to it.

lol I suppose that bringing the erotic snakes into Australia could also bring foreign diseases that we dont want for our animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back