Bluetongue feet shedding problem!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rreptiless

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Over the last couple of months I have started to notice that my three young bluetongues feet (Just above there fingers) skin from there sheds has built up! It has built up to the point where it seems to be cutting circulation!!! I have constantly tried to remove the skin myself and soaking them in warm water. This still does not remove the built up skin!!! I am extremely worried :(!!!

I will post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks a lot,
Terry

Hey Terry,

How often do you soak their feet to get the skin off? You may have to do it over consecutive days to get it all off. With getting the skin off, its persistence and constant, long soaks that will help.

In the long run, to prevent the issues, may I ask what your blueys diet consists of?

Ok if it's an issue of cutting off circulation, then take them to the vet and have them look at it. Otherwise, put a large bowl of water in the viv and raise the temp, also mist. The best way is to soak it out. Put you bluey in a large container or bath, with warm water. Make sure that he can hold his head out of the water leave him for about 20 mins and when you get him out, dry him gently and try and remove the shed. You may have to do this half a dozen times a day but if you don't, they may start to lose their toes. Eye lids are also important to keep an eye on as well as the tip of their tails and their ears sometimes end up with little sack. When you have cleared thier toes and feet up, you really need to pay great attention everytime they shed. Bath them once a week and just have a look.
Now bare in mind that removing shedding skin is like peeling sunburn. You peel it too much or too hard, it hurts and stings. Slow and easy, soak as much as you can, but it's not something you can put off til tomorrow or the next day or they may lose their toes...

so try this,..

after soaking ur blueys for 15 mins, pat them dry, get some paw paw ointment and rub in into their still damp feet.

leave it for 20 mins, then rub at it gently, should come off no worries,....

so try this,..

after soaking ur blueys for 15 mins, pat them dry, get some paw paw ointment and rub in into their still damp feet.

leave it for 20 mins, then rub at it gently, should come off no worries,....

Thanks Chris! Have you tried this method before? Are you sure its safe to use?

Thanks Chris! Have you tried this method before? Are you sure its safe to use?

no worries, done it loads on times on snakes and beardies, it has helped shed snakes completely in 5 mins where water and rubbing did nothinng for a small patch in 30,....:p

wow.. i was thinking maybe a little olive oil (although l have never tried this) but never thought about paw paw.. what a great idea

let us know how you went. It's something you need to do now rather than later. The more time goes by, the more of a chance your bluey's have of losing their toes maybe even their feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back