Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to mention, that although other people have different opinions, snakes are not dogs. They arent cuddly, they wont 'love' you, and they're really not something to 'play with'. Im not being nasty but if you want those things you should really be looking for a puppy. The first thing you should do is learn that you should respect the snake for what it is, they are wild animals, they are opportunistic hunters, and they will bite.Just reading through your comments about wanting to cuddle and play doesnt really fit along side owning a snake. My two cent worth.

Seraph;2099399Also i was looking at photos of snakes on google and i found one that is absolutely beautiful. Its called a piebald ball python..... Can anyone tell me anything thing about these snakes. Can get them in Australia or not.[/QUOTE said:
as said we dont allow any exotics in australia and have a look at the species list for your state it will list what snakes you can and cant get

Doc - I understand completely what your saying. Just to clarify things i consider cuddling n playing with a snake handling it. I dont want an animal with hair unless its a rabbit. but rabbits are illegal to keep where i live.

lol @ deadpan

Seraph ,would you be in qld,because if you want an animal with hair,but can't have a rabbit,get a hare.

Lol. I also have another question. If I was to get a jungle python or another snake around the same size. What size tank would you recommend. Does it matter what materials its made from.

Do you plan on getting a hatchie? In that case, all you need for the first months is a click-clack. (Go to the DIY Zone section and up the top you'll see a sticky about making a click-clack.)

Over feed by giving food thats too big. Some snakes have no problem eating bigger food - and thats what makes them grow - green trees are a lazy snake - they just sit and look pretty on a perch and wait for food to come to them. therefore digestion is different. If you go to home page on bottom right there are all the breaders so find one in your state. Also if you go to the search (left hand corner) type in first snake in QLD it will come up with all the posts from the past that people have asked the same question ova, and ova and ova - a lot of experienced people get sick of answering it lol it works like a google search so worth checking it out before you post a question - lots of info there ;)

The other option is to hold your horses and go to an reptile expo! Lots of snakes to see, touch and breeders to meet! All under one roof, check prices, parents etc etc not sure where abouts you are but the next expois in Sydney is the castle hill expo. From their Facebook ‎"2012 CASTLE HILL REPTILE EXPO - SUNDAY 12 FEBRUARY 2012 (9AM-5PM)
AT FRED CATERSON RESERVE CASTLE HILL.

- Illawarra Reptile society's Show will be on the 15th April 2012 at Kembla Grange Racecourse. This show was the biggest in NSW this year.

Once again go to search - you will find a post. Expos sooooooo worth going to! All different snakes to see, different colors all under one roof! Thats where I got hooked on my baby GTP! Loved the breeder, took time to answer all my silly questions and a week later baby miduri was coming home with me :lol: Mind you I just went to look......:rolleyes:

Good luck!
And make sure you post pic once you get something!

gosia - Thanks heaps for the advice. I shall search. I can only imagian how many times all these questions have been answered lol and for the record i live near Brisbane i know i missed a reptile expo lately but im sure there will be another one to go to soon enough.

Renenet - Yes i do plan on getting a hatchie so then i can watch it grow up.

Also if you really really want one now - visit pet shops see what they have and you can compare, then go to a breeder where prices are lower and better advise. Well unless the pet shop is like our Amazing Amazone where for once staff know what they are talking about. Snake rench is also worth giving a look at.

Personaly I be looking at a diamond Python - high yellow!....very easy, cuddly, big snake - but thats my opinion ;)

Once agian good luck.

Stick to the basics and learn as u go along

i started wiv a stimmie then a bredli then i finally moved on to a jungle which is always snappy in its home but once out its a dream....saying that starting at the bottom and working your way up in my oppinion is the way to go...Ps. Bredli Centralian is a good size snake and fantastic to look and handle...very similar to Darwins..Your Choice....lol...also Bredli and Stimmie came from Snake Ranch ( top snakes) and Jungle from Xtreme Reptiles QLD...had to have it flown down!!!!

Last edited:
when there young once a week when there adult once every 10 - 14 days your local pet shop should be able to help you with food sizes make sure you get it all checked out and learn every thing you need to know first

Hey, it may not be your style of snake, not the most colourful snake out there, but many people say that Womas are good handling snakes, but if you're looking for something that is pretty, then I agree with gosia about the Diamond Python. Only thing you would have to consider there is that they are cooler climate snakes. Another thing I thought I'd mention is that not all Jungles calm down when they get older. It is said that a calm Jungle is the exception, not the rule. I've heard them described as the ***holes of the reptile world. My first was a Coastal Carpet, and he was as tame as a kitten from day one. Not one of those angry kittens either... The kind of kitten that sits there and gives you the puss in boots stare until you pat it, but is still hardcore enough to watch Walker Texas Ranger with you. Coastals aren't the most attractive snake on the market though. He's pretty, but not colourful.
Hmm, yep thats my advice done.
Watch out for ferrets
Skinnerguy

Thanks for the advice skinner guy. I really like the colour n markings on on the jungles and i like the size they get when they are adults. I have a friend with a coastal python lol its name in monty the killer python lol. I dont really like how big they get but they are nice snakes. The more i think about it the more my heart is set on a jungle. But i have been looking at bredli pythons as well i dont really know much about them yet though. would they make i good first snake.

At the end of the day, if you put enough effort into knowing and meeting the requirements of the snake, which species it is won't really matter. This said, you would have to understand that a gtp has very different requirements to a jungle. I've found jungle hatchies to be a little snappier than other species but a little tag doesn't hurt and they are gorgeous.

If you think you would like to step slowly into keeping snakes, many great breeds have been suggested here; MD's, Coastals, Anartesia's, many are known to be beautifully natured. Then again if you get a hatchie, most can be snappy. Hatchies are snappy, it's natural and understandable. Maybe looking at a well handled yearling would be an option.

What do you think you would be comfortable being responsible for?

Didn't read the whole thread but, Has anyone mentioned that GTP's have class 2 license requirements ??

dead cricket - Im not sure My mate got his jungle when it was about 10 and a half months old. it has only bit me a few times and is has a beautiful nature. I would ideally like one around the 8 to 10 month mark. Im not sure if that comes under the Hatchie or the yearling category if it does at all. Snake bites dont really hurt its more the shock factor that gets me. but either way im not bothered by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back