Snake never ever comes out the hide!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockett85

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to why my carpet never comes out of his hide? the temps are all good it is a pretty high enclosure 3ft long x 4ft high x 45cm deep so there is a big temp range in the enclosure up the warm end it sits around 28-30 and as you go further down the tank middle is about 26 and ground about 24-25 he is always in there even after a feed so its a little worrying he is not coming up to bask after a feed! Any ideas as to why this is?

yeah not a super high traffic area but still never shows himself. he isnt even out cruising at night when all the lights are out so i am a little confused! he has been in the enclosure for about 8 weeks, was out and about all the time when i first got him exploring but now he is just a hermit. Just strange none of the other snakes hide like him just thought there may be something strange going on that someone maybe able to help with!

What species of carpet is it? I was told the hot spot should be between 31 and 33 degrees, with a a cool end of about 26.

Have you put him in a different enclosure?

Few suggestions
Does it have branches to climb on?
If not add a few
Definitely check your temps with a babies mercury thermometer [they are the only ones they have to be accurate]
If its feeding etc dont sweat it too much

Has he got some where to hide up in the warm area ? Is theyre a basking shelf with a hide up there if not u might want to put one up there he might not like being exposed :)

has plenty of branches and a hide down the bottom was thinking of putting a hide up high for him anyways so will see how it goes. Under basking lamp it hits 33 at the other end up high it reaches 28, middle of the tank about 26 and the bottom about 24-25. He has pleant of spots to choose a desired temp just curious just seemed a bit weird!

This is his enclosure!

Attachments

• DSCF9563.jpg
    DSCF9563.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Hiding is what snakes do =p i bet he does come out for a quick bask and just retreats back to his hide after, probably when you're not around. One of my jungles has hides in each end and plenty of branches yet spends all it's time under the newspaper.

Long as he is eating, pooping, shedding fine i wouldn't worry too much.

Maybe he just likes to hide?
Maybe he feels safe in there?
Maybe your ugly mug scares him?
Maybe he is being a snake?

Disclaimer: That looks a bit blunt but it's not meant to be construed in a detrimental manner at all.
Thanks for your assistance with this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back