Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dead cricket - Im not sure My mate got his jungle when it was about 10 and a half months old. it has only bit me a few times and is has a beautiful nature. I would ideally like one around the 8 to 10 month mark. Im not sure if that comes under the Hatchie or the yearling category if it does at all. Snake bites dont really hurt its more the shock factor that gets me. but either way im not bothered by it.

Thats a bit closer to yearling. Much growing is done in the 1st year and that seems to help a lot. When all is said and done though, my baby jungles very rarely get grumpy these days. Curious and friendly lil ones. Regular handling to teach them they are safe.

First time owner here - Of an almost 12 month old Jungle.

I was exactly like you - I loved the Jungle colouring and adult size. I also wanted a taller, rather than longer enclosure and couldn't be happier with my boy. He's a joy to handle, not snappy at all (was only tagged on night one) and I handle him 2-3 times a week on average for anything between 15 minutes and 45 minutes at a time.

I think the right snake to choose is the one your gut tells you :)

Wouldnt reccomend a GTP as first snake. If you have someone with a bit of experience nearby you would be fine with a jungle. Your also at an advantage to many newbies as you have already experienced your first tag. As others have said, as long as you make an informed decision (find out lots and lots) you will be fine. Every breed has its good and its bads just make sure you know what they are. Keep in mind youg jungles tend to be a bit snappy when they are young and antaresias get big (especially bredlis-my boy surprises me everytime i look at him) so they will need a big cage eventually. There are also advantages to yearling as they tend to be more settled however it is a wonderful experience to raise your snake from a hatchling and see him grow.

The main thing to say is not to just settle on something because someone told you to. Whatever you decide you want after you research go for it. JUst make sure you are prepared for both the good and the bad:) And that you have people around to support you

dead cricket - Thanks for clearing that up for me. so when i go looking to buy i should be looking for a yearling.

Schnecke - how old was yours when you got it and what size tank do you have yours in.

Speaking of tanks. i have been told that i should get a smaller tank to start with while they are young then upgrade to a bigger one for there adult size. do i have to do this or can i just get an adult size tank from the word go and just provide a few more hides for the little one.

also i want a female. Is there different behaviours with the male and female. like is one more prone to aggression then the other. Or are they both the same.

If you get a young one have a look at getting a click clack. Theres a sticky on here about them and how to make them. A snake to small for his/her enclosure will fret and likely will not feed

sarah11 - Thanks for the tips. After reading everyone's advice i have decide to wait will i have more experience to get my GTP. I want to be able to take great care of it so the more experience i have the better i will be able to do that. I really think my heart is set on a jungle. T also think that i will start off with the yearling as my first and watch it grow from there. My second snake i will get from a Hatchie. I will be more experienced then so i think i will enjoy it more. I do have a few people around me that have snakes that can help me but most of them are beginners themselves. one of them is pretty advanced and was getting ready to study a advanced reptile care course. or something like that. But i have also noticed from reading alot of threads lately that there are some awesome people on here as well that have very good advice n are willing to help.

sarah11 - Thanks for the tips. After reading everyone's advice i have decide to wait will i have more experience to get my GTP. I want to be able to take great care of it so the more experience i have the better i will be able to do that. I really think my heart is set on a jungle. T also think that i will start off with the yearling as my first and watch it grow from there. My second snake i will get from a Hatchie. I will be more experienced then so i think i will enjoy it more. I do have a few people around me that have snakes that can help me but most of them are beginners themselves. one of them is pretty advanced and was getting ready to study a advanced reptile care course. or something like that. But i have also noticed from reading alot of threads lately that there are some awesome people on here as well that have very good advice n are willing to help.

Great choice with a jungle... lots of us keep them so you won't be short for advice if you get in a jam. There's also lots of breeders on here with lots of different looking jungles on offer... you can even get them in stripes, high yellow, high gold even in black and white if you so wish.

Thank you so much for all the advice everyone. After some thought and handling a few of my mates snakes I have decied to go with a jungle python hatchie. I want to watch it grow. I was also wondering how old a snake has to be before you can get it sexed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back