Cyclone for Xmas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You go to Mum and Dad's for your Chrissy break and they already have everything sorted for you!

I love the lead up weather to cyclones, but the days after can be pretty miserable.

Hey are you in town Gordo, we could catch up for a bevvie?

A generator to keep the beer cold when the ice melts is essential.
Experienced my first direct hit cyclone two seasons ago, enjoy the show and get ready for the afterward barbie:D

I was in Mataranka when Tracey hit. Got here the next day. We found dead people. There is no joy in that.

We're much better informed and equipped these days but it still gets the nerves tingling.

Calm as right now. Stars are out. Different story at Cape Don, they'll be weighing up how long you can stay before air or sea escape

Batteries for the camera. This is APS after all.

mate! 3rd on the list!

I was in Mataranka when Tracey hit. Got here the next day. We found dead people. There is no joy in that.

We're much better informed and equipped these days but it still gets the nerves tingling.

Calm as right now. Stars are out. Different story at Cape Don, they'll be weighing up how long you can stay before air or sea escape

mate! 3rd on the list!

Sorry mate did not mean any disrespect.
This day and age to suffer any lives lost would usually mean that you would have to be unlucky or have no common sense.
BOM says that if it hits should only be cataegory 1
Either way be positive, be prepared and help your neighbours.
If you have done these than tolerate the show.
Thought to all.

Stay safe, the both of you. Hopefully a bit of entertainment and no heartbreak for our mates in the territory.

Sorry mate did not mean any disrespect.
This day and age to suffer any lives lost would usually mean that you would have to be unlucky or have no common sense.
BOM says that if it hits should only be cataegory 1
Either way be positive, be prepared and help your neighbours.
If you have done these than tolerate the show.
Thought to all.

cheers cobber. Just adding a little gravity, (it helps in high winds) No disrespect detected!

I love the show but I worry about the people I know who dont follow the proceedures as much as others.

Tracey was category 1. Just hung around all night. And mashed the place.

Last edited:
Stay safe, the both of you. Hopefully a bit of entertainment and no heartbreak for our mates in the territory.

Thanks mate, we'll be right. Don't even know where it's going, ha ha neither do the weather forecasters.
They have already admitted that. Should be an interesting coupla days.
Infrastructure is all good due to very strict rules these days. Watching mother natures power is always
a learning experience.
Have a great Xmas everyone : )

Sorry to hear that mate and good luck.

But you left out of the list : a charged laptop - so you can keep us all updated lol;)

I'm too young to remember Tracy but I've seen pictures of the aftermath. Thank heavens we've got better building standards these days. It does make it easy to be complacent, though.

To all in Darwin and surrounds, stay safe.

Thanks, Darlyn. You and Steve both.

Hey are you in town Gordo, we could catch up for a bevvie?

Sounds good to me! I'm here until the 8th of Jan. I should be out and about carolling with my old footy club tomorrow night but all other times are good for me!

Have to disagree. Our building code is only to withstand cat 3... a big blow like Monica would have destroyed the city again.

Thanks mate, we'll be right. Don't even know where it's going, ha ha neither do the weather forecasters.
They have already admitted that. Should be an interesting coupla days.
Infrastructure is all good due to very strict rules these days. Watching mother natures power is always
a learning experience.

I also really wanted to experience a cyclone, after doing so however I would never ever wish it upon anyone, simply frightning.

Steve
Tracy was a cat 3 when it hit Darwin, 217 km winds recorded before the wind speed thing broke.

There is actually a good chance that Cairns will experience some weather from this NT low (soon to be TC Grant) as most models are forecasting an initial westerly then southerly movement and then it turns easterly possibly crossing back into the GOC and across Cape York into the Coral Sea. The only point of disagreement between models is the timing of the easterly track. The best model, ECWMF, has it as late as the 28th whilst the others such as GFS and ACCESS has it closer to Boxing Day.

I'm hoping that the NT low doesn't come back across to the eastern coast, until after the 27th as I'll be on a plane back to Townsville!!

Make sure you run your gen set in a well ventilated area. Don't seal yourselves in with a generator running. A guy in the last cyclone did it and was the only fatality from memory.

I see Christchurch has had another earthquake this morning too... 5. something on the scale !! Wow...not good! But on a positive note, I also read that a little girl who was lost in the big surnami 7 yrs ago has been found in a different area and reunited with her family. :) Cyclones, earthquakes....what next !!! Keep safe people...on the roads, in your houses, with your loved ones.....no arguements or conflicts....just stay cool emotionally and physically....and have a good 2012.

These things are the twitches on the skin of the planet. we have no control over these events which is just as well because some mongrel would turn it into a weapon.

Looks like Arnhem Land will cop it. I feel for those guys, they're under the pump already.

Sky is battleship grey, rain sweeping through in bands. Lovely cool air. Life is good.

Happy Xmas everyone! Enjoy!

I also really wanted to experience a cyclone, after doing so however I would never ever wish it upon anyone, simply frightning.

Steve
Tracy was a cat 3 when it hit Darwin, 217 km winds recorded before the wind speed thing broke.

Interesting subject the category. classification of Cyclone Tracy. Pretty sure you can get conflicting stories
most places, a 2, 3, 4 or even a 5. The classifications have changed since Tracy and the measurability is questionable.
The latest study I saw put it at a 2. With the winds being so incredibly destructive due to the poor construction of buildings.
Does anyone have a definitive answer on this one?

Tracy was a small intense system. Most of the damage was done by numerous tornados embedded in the walls of the eye. There were loads of reports of " black cones" lit up by continuous lightning and it is why 3 houses would be virtually untouched and the next three destroyed utterly. Unrealistic building codes didn't help.

And it was Xmas. And Tracey was heading west! Like the one two weeks before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back