Who keeps octopus or unusual sea creatures?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i look back on the way i kept them now and think to myself it was probably a bit mean and was purely for my own enjoyment. Especially considering how intelligent they are. I certainly wouldnt keep them like that now but as you say you would never see them otherwise, so theres not point in keeping them really.

Aus Pride do you need any licences? And how do you get them, does it have to be from a breeder, or can you catch them?

Yeah i look back on the way i kept them now and think to myself it was probably a bit mean and was purely for my own enjoyment. Especially considering how intelligent they are. I certainly wouldnt keep them like that now but as you say you would never see them otherwise, so theres not point in keeping them really.

But then whats the point of us keeping reptiles, really all they do is sit in a corner or hide for the whole day? Really its all for our own enjoyment. But if we can take care of them and make them feel safe then its all ok.

I have put several blue ringies (they are much bigger up here) in my tanks but the fish ripped into them and killed and ate every one of

I have tried keeping other types but they are excellent escapers and you end up finding them sliming across the kitchen floor at 3am! All cephalopods have a very short life span.

You need a huge set up for sharks and rays. We have small tank suitable sharks and blue spot rays but really they are not terribly communal.

I see what youre saying Snakes123, but most animals in the reptile community are captive bred and not yanked out of their natural environment into an enclosed, mostly unnatural environment. I was young and stupid. Just wanted to be COOL i guess. LOL

I learnt that the hard way too Steve. I had one get out and die in the lounge room behind a massive bookcase and boy did it stink.

True. Its kind of the same with geckos, like your told 2 hides and some water and other furnishing but i dont like using other stuff because the roaches find places to hide so the geckos dont get their feed. So i just get them out everyday and let them have a wonder, which i think they really enjoy! But then again im not sure how i would do this with a blue ringed or a shark :p

I have put several blue ringies (they are much bigger up here) in my tanks but the fish ripped into them and killed and ate every one of

I have tried keeping other types but they are excellent escapers and you end up finding them sliming across the kitchen floor at 3am! All cephalopods have a very short life span.

You need a huge set up for sharks and rays. We have small tank suitable sharks and blue spot rays but really they are not terribly communal.

Ditto that, that is great advice, they will escape out of anything unless it has NO cracks and is weighted down so the panels cant be lifted.

My marine wishlist?
Either:
Dwarf Lionfish sp. (eg a Fuzzy, Fu Manchu, Zebra)
Snowflake Moray
Mantis Shrimp

Yeah, I'm actually gonna get one when I decide. I've got a 4ft tank.

I kept a blue ringed octopus for a week, then took it back to the bay:) So really I hardly "kept it". Regardless, they are a truly fascinating creature! And supposedly a master escape artist!

Ahh thanks everyone.
So no one has kept the Lock Ness Monster?

If you line the top section of the tank (out of water) with astroturf (walls, roof, etc) they can't sucker on to it and climb out. Makes them a fair bit easier to keep in :)

In the mid 70s they realised that blue ringies were poisonous when a sailor put one on his wrist, was bitten and died 10 minutes later.

There was a big rush to work out the venom and we got $5 each from the local uni, good money for a young bloke who could find 30-40 in a morning!

Then some bugger from Victoria started supplying them for 50 cents each. End of story.

My favourite marine critter at the moment is a red and grey pencil urchin. Had him for 2 years now, it's amazing to watch him fold his spines and fit through tiny holes in the reef. Crinoids (feather stars are cool also.)

Crinoid

DSC_0046.jpgDSC_0045.jpg

Urch

DSC_0030.jpg

Some of the gang

SW tank 4.jpg

Steve is it legal to collect fish and inverts?

Steve is it legal to collect fish and inverts?

As long as your purpose is not commercial it is open slather. There is a monster low tide today and usually we would be out having a look but there is also a cyclone on our doorstep. The low pressure lifts the water and you dont get such a big low tide.

My experience with keeping a blueringed Octopus was the opposite of Morelias as the one I had was very active and far from shy.
It was a fasinating creature to keep and I used to throw in live crabs for it to prey upon, amazing battles with them sometimes.
A very entertaining creature to keep in my opinion.
Be warned though their toxin at times can be in a small tank, hazardous to other fish ( but only very temporally) but possibly to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back