Land Mullets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
he just chased her round the pen & gave her a bite.... I hope it was just a 'I'm Boss & don't you forget it !!'bite & not a 'When the sun comes up on Xmas day you will die or be limbless my dear' bite...... I would say lol but I'm nervous !!!!

I am afraid it was the latter as he smashed her 4 or 5 times today I decided enough was enough & removed her before he caused any serious damage.....

I suppose that was happy xmas from the Mullets !!!!!

she is now licking her multiple minor superficial wounds in an indoor enclosure....... she will be fine after a few meals & a good shed for those who wonder how bad she has been hit but from his relentless chasing of her he would no doubt have ripped her to pieces if left together...

Jinjajoe what do you do in a position like this? Give up on breeding this pair? I know next to nothing about Land Mullets.. :$

Jinjajoe what do you do in a position like this? Give up on breeding this pair? I know next to nothing about Land Mullets.. :$

Egernia are all a bit like this...... I have been trying for the last week to pair up all of my tree skinks with some successes & some failures..... if you thought Blueys were difficult then try Egernia they put the 'C' in a certain expletive deletive.

The answer to you question however is to make sure that you are around the entire day when you do it so that you can avoid major injury. Then try again with a slight change of situation....... in this case they were both introduced into the same enclosure at the same time which I thought might work...... so I'll let him settle in & let her feed a few times & shed & then try again as he may let her once he feels like he owns the joint........ after a couple more failures then I will look to other keepers to maybe swap or buy another & have another go.....

In my experience with breeding any Skinks the biggest barrier is introductions & sexing....... once you crack this you will almost certainly have gone 90% of the way to succeeding if breeding is your goal..... So I suppose it is a case of don't give up & just have another crack..... but under no circumstances turn your back on volatile situations as you will end up with dis-figured or dead animals.

What would happen if you put a wire divider in the outside pen?

its an idea..... but you would have to introduce at some stage & Egernia either do or don't get on & are essentially a colony animal so segregation almost defeats the purpose........

besides one end is naturally shaded & one isn't...... so an aspect change would be required also.......

Bellatorias major live in an extended system of borrows that allow individuals to keep clear of each other till mating. They tend to be solitary most of the time. In captivity if you dont have the space its best to introduce them when they are younger or separate the enclosure with a piece of glass or perspex so that they can see each other but not make contact till they become settled.

Are you sure that you have a male and a female jinj,sounds like two males,the onley fighting i get here with egernias is the males,they are very territorial.
Landmullets usually good even with smaller and larger as long as another male isnt placed in the cage,same with cunninghams,if you have multiple males you end up with one left eventually.

Bellatorias major live in an extended system of borrows that allow individuals to keep clear of each other till mating. They tend to be solitary most of the time. In captivity if you dont have the space its best to introduce them when they are younger or separate the enclosure with a piece of glass or perspex so that they can see each other but not make contact till they become settled.

yep some mesh or perspex or the like is an idea so that they can check eachother out initially..... but the photo that I posted on the 1st page & many sightings suggest that they are not as solitude as you suggest..... but yep in the rainforests of SEQ & Northern NSW they live in fallen down rotting trees with intricate tunnels so it is easy for escape......

Are you sure that you have a male and a female jinj,sounds like two males,the onley fighting i get here with egernias is the males,they are very territorial.
Landmullets usually good even with smaller and larger as long as another male isnt placed in the cage,same with cunninghams,if you have multiple males you end up with one left eventually.

any sex of Egernia in fact any sex of any skinks can potentially fight not correct to say only males will fight.... & they are a pair.....

Last edited:
I think the name is the crappiest name I've ever seen for a splendid beast. Sorry, bit pissed with the celebrations of the virgin birth etc. We flogged everyone on the pool table and back to base. Great to be here. Sunset is stunning if a bit faster than most.

Happy Xmas you mob. Do good and get good.

Last edited:

We had two female cunninghams kill the introduced boy.
The new boy is OK as he is so much bigger than them.

We had two female cunninghams kill the introduced boy.
The new boy is OK as he is so much bigger than them.

This is my experience also Fay.......

I have been trying to put a large colony of Tree Skinks into 5 or so groups this last few weeks...... they are all sexed correctly & jeez there really is no rules...... ok sibs tend to get on but as you say an adult female can turn around & smash anything the same as a male can & a female can like one male or another specific female & turnaround & smash another animal....

at the end of the day all animals are individual & will behave as such.......

This is my experience also Fay.......

I have been trying to put a large colony of Tree Skinks into 5 or so groups this last few weeks...... they are all sexed correctly & jeez there really is no rules...... ok sibs tend to get on but as you say an adult female can turn around & smash anything the same as a male can & a female can like one male or another specific female & turnaround & smash another animal....

at the end of the day all animals are individual & will behave as such.......

True!

I have a youngish mullet in the huge enclosure on the verandah. The others are in the pit. It is the shiest of all the animals in this huge enclosure. Every second night I give them mealworms/superworms. I have just gotten him to accept the super worms of my tweezers. Takes time.

Egernias/Bellatorias of ANY sex and ANY age can and will fight to the death if they dont like each other, even reintroductions of animals that have bred before can end in fatalities or severe injuries. I have witnessed it on many occasions over the years. Like Jinjajoe said, all animals are individuals and have different behaviours. I have seen these animals in the flesh and they are a definate pair.

its true,both sexes can be aggressive,one of the biggest and most dominant cunninghams i ever had i thought was male used to pick on another large male,and have goes at the smaller cunnies in the group,i seperated the large male as he had wounds to both rear legs,that presumed big aggressive male ended up dropping 7 bubs as it was also seperated from the main group due to fear of it hurting others

joe i have a pair of gidgees that behaved similarly,the male was chasing the female around biting quite alot,tail and legs,i was thinking of seperating them but then he actually started mating her after a few weeks of the chasing,mind you it was in may,so way out of wack for breeding time,,but ever since i havnt witnessed the aggression,your pr may just need time to become aquainted,my old pr of mullets which i now only have one of got on great,never any aggression,they actually used to hang around together,sleep together ect ect,even when i got the male to put in with the female,from the word go they got on great guns,

i dont find mullets overly aggressive,ive seen a few wild ones to,they are shy and hiss and struggle on being held,but never had them try to bite,king skinks on the other hand dont mess around,they dont bother hissing,they twist then bite,and they dont nip,they mean business,lol,but they are all individuals

Can onley talk from my own experience,the male cunninghams have culled each other down so that i have one male left and any fatalities i checked to see what sex they were.
Western bluetongues,ive had the same thing,got one male left,landmullets here are compatible.
Blotched bluetonges about the same story,got one male left.
The female lizards here dont get picked on except for mating these days and thats the way i like it.

My female cunninghams kicked out the males. They lived in a separate part of the enclosure to the main colony and one had to be removed completely. The blotchies dont seem to mind but there is a a good amount of room so there are three males while the eastern bluetongues seem to have one dominant male who makes it hard for any other males. You dont see any aggro, just other males losing condition steadily over time. The mullets didn't cope with each other and I had to sell the one remaining one. I dont remember the gender off hand, perhaps Richard does. I had Liopholis modesta and it was the males that tore each other apart. Water skinks behaved similarly. Pinktongues were a nightmare for me with seven animals having to be housed in five separte enclosures. Shinglebacks on the other hand didn't seem to care in the slightest.
Like Zulu all the females seem to cruise along though they show the scars of mating.

hahaha I have seen a cunningham (not that big) grab a huge bluey by the tail and march it around the pit. They are fearless!!!

Yep, though I had a large female cunningham come off second best to a T.s.intermedia. Had to euthanaise her he did so much damage to her skull.

peter,i was pretty confident he was a male,its actually interesting to hear peoples findings on these behaviours in there skinks,and shows that depending on the animals and differing situations behaviours can vary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back