Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice adder Kris.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for some Dajarras this season! These are the two I got from Jamie.
012cf7fb-6b35-5fc2.jpg

I know he is not a captive but a nice little spotted black that I caught in town and released out of town. It sure is a good feeling releasing a snake miles up the bush where it won't run into people again!

Attachments

• snakes 044.jpg
    snakes 044.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 74
  • snakes 047.jpg
    snakes 047.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 99
  • snakes 046.jpg
    snakes 046.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 93
Very nice dottyback. He is very similar to my boy. Is yours a yearling? Or same age as mine coming up 2 years?

Do you have a pair of albinos or is the other a het?

Hey guys, quick question....... The albino death adders (mine included) what are people's thoughts on the subspecies? Praelongus or Rugosus? On another forum a couple of people said rugosus, however; they were sold to me as praelongus?

Acanthophis taxonomy is richly debated and as yet, there are no definitive answers as to which species are valid and which are not. The only two that are considered "guaranteed" are Acanthophis pyrrhus and Acanthophis wellsi. Of course, both Acanthophis antarcticus and Acanthophis praelongus are valid, but where they begin and where they end is hotly debated, especially throughout the top end (all southern Adders from ~Townsville through to Perth, inland to around Windorah are accepted as A.antarcticus). In a paper published about 8 years ago, it is suggested that A.praelongus is restricted to FNQ, and the NT (and northern WA/NW QLD) Acanthophis are made up of A.rugosus and A.hawkei. One day someone will invest the time and energy into finally working out which species are valid and which aren't!

Jonno can you tell us how to tell praelongus and antarcticus apart? About the only species that i can't name from looking.

Acanthophis taxonomy is richly debated and as yet, there are no definitive answers as to which species are valid and which are not. The only two that are considered "guaranteed" are Acanthophis pyrrhus and Acanthophis wellsi. Of course, both Acanthophis antarcticus and Acanthophis praelongus are valid, but where they begin and where they end is hotly debated, especially throughout the top end (all southern Adders from ~Townsville through to Perth, inland to around Windorah are accepted as A.antarcticus). In a paper published about 8 years ago, it is suggested that A.praelongus is restricted to FNQ, and the NT (and northern WA/NW QLD) Acanthophis are made up of A.rugosus and A.hawkei. One day someone will invest the time and energy into finally working out which species are valid and which aren't!

heres a pic to add to the thread, probably the nicest roughie ive seen so far.. heaps pretty with no attitude either :)
roghiehypo.jpg

Jonno can you tell us how to tell praelongus and antarcticus apart? About the only species that i can't name from looking.

A.praelongus are supposed to have more keeled scales but that's not very helpful when you look at the extremes of the ranges of these "species". The former curator of herpetology, John Coventry, once said to me that he doubted that they were valid species, but merely geographic variants. Specimens from different parts of their range and even different habitats from close localities can look very different. The death adders are a highly variable group that may or may not be represented by many more recognised species...or they may just be a variable species that occupies lots of different habitats. I'll wait until a proper scientific review is done by a recognised taxonomist before I'll be recognising any more Australian species other than antarcticus, praelongus, pyrrhus and wellsi. That doesn't mean there aren't others - I'd just like to see the science and not shonky amateur taxonomy.

Yes i was about to bring up the floodplain and woodlands phases to see where they fit in the mix...

A.praelongus are supposed to have more keeled scales but that's not very helpful when you look at the extremes of the ranges of these "species". The former curator of herpetology, John Coventry, once said to me that he doubted that they were valid species, but merely geographic variants. Specimens from different parts of their range and even different habitats from close localities can look very different. The death adders are a highly variable group that may or may not be represented by many more recognised species...or they may just be a variable species that occupies lots of different habitats. I'll wait until a proper scientific review is done by a recognised taxonomist before I'll be recognising any more Australian species other than antarcticus, praelongus, pyrrhus and wellsi. That doesn't mean there aren't others - I'd just like to see the science and not shonky amateur taxonomy.

A few of the fast growing Mulgas. Now in 4 footers. Very hard to get them to sit still, especially when they think food's about!

Attachments

• Female Mulga 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Female Mulga 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Female Mulga 011 [1600x1200].jpg
    Female Mulga 011 [1600x1200].jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Female Mulga 013 [1600x1200].jpg
    Female Mulga 013 [1600x1200].jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Female Mulga 020 [1600x1200].jpg
    Female Mulga 020 [1600x1200].jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
1 of my "boarders" with a bit of nose rub from life in a cage. She is now "leasing" an outdoor pit & should clear up fully in time. She is the mother of the hatchlings on page 116 of which I have 2 in an outdoor "tub".

P1100078.jpg
P1100092.jpg
P1100039.jpg
November6th201146.jpg
November6th201154-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back