Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicG

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a Cairns-based friend who has an unused enclosure on their outdoor decking who wants to get a local python, thus avoiding the need for heating.

I was just wondering which type (locale, colouration, etc) of Jungle Carpet Pythons are typically the smallest ... and how big (length, diameter) would that be? Do they tend to be snappier than their bigger cousins?

The enclosure is a triangular corner-style one with 3 foot long sides, 4'4" frontage and 2' high. Do you think that would be suitable for a full-grown smaller jungle? Volume-wise it equates to 9 cubic feet, as compared with a 4x2x2 enclosure, which is 16 cubic feet.

If not, then what other pythons do you think would be suitable?

If any Jungle breeder in North Queensland is going to be breeding from small, brightly coloured, good-natured parents this season, please PM me. Also, let me know if there are any yearlings out there that fit the bill.

Thanks,
Nic

Last edited:
any other then atherton are the smallest. and will generally have brighter yellows then athertons. temperment varies on individuals i got mine from a guy in cairns and its never bitten me (cant remember the name) enclosure should be fine but it will need to be kept indoors as temperatures can reach 40 odd and as low as 10 and the snake cant move to to a warmer or cooler places so you could never not have a heater. i live in the palmerston which is 1 hour south west of cairns

Your smallest jungles are your true lowland forms some types maxing out at 1200 quite often their coloring is spectacular with high yellows and strong blacks as for temperament you might be better off sticking to a larger placid species if you want one for handling

Oscar90, if people in Sydney can keep Diamonds outdoors without heating, why can't people in Cairns keep Jungles outdoors in the same manner? I understand that a heatmat or equivalent may be required if the enclosure was constantly in the shade, but if morning or afternoon sun could be arranged on part of the enclosure, I don't see an issue.

Your smallest jungles are your true lowland forms

Forms (plural) implies there is more than one. Am I right in assuming Tully and Palmerston? What others?

Last edited:
I think Oscar90 means that in an enclosure that small, in the hottest parts of the year, there is nowhere for the snake to escape (underground, or deep into "bush" to escape the super high temperatures.) and you don't want to bake them on a verandah, as they have nowhere to go to get away from the hot ambient air temperature.

A thermometer for measuring temps and cool area are still required for summer and a I would suspect that a heat source and warm area are still required on the cooler days (not that you have many!!)

A Palmerston Jungle will be smaller and more brightly coloured than an Atherton (Please correct me someone if i'm wrong but I am expecting mine to get anything up to 1.8 metres long and as thick as my wrist) but yes, they do tend to be more "snappy" than some other types (in saying that though, my local reptile shop was gobsmacked when I told them that I've only ever been tagged once by mine (on the first night I owned my Jungle) Yes he's a little sensitive in his enclosure and can strike out if he gets startled by someone quickly grabbing a tv remote etc - but is a gem other than that)

It is uncommon for temps to go much above 30c in Cairns itself
Bit different as you go inland
But biggest problem would be winter
Can get pretty cool at times then
Without heating they will definitely risk RI etc

I own an atherton, tully, and palmerston. Atherton is significantly bigger and i would say alot more docile, although i have not really had problems with the other 2. The female Tully can get a bit cranky but never bitten, more so head butt like a BHP

Further investigation has led me to conclude that the decking where it will be kept is as cool as any part of the house and doesn't receive any direct sun. Therefore, some source of heating (with thermostat) will be required.

So what are the average lengths and diameters of:
a) Tully JCP
b) Palmerston JCP
c) Atherton JCP

Sizes vary between individuals qiute a bit but this is what I would expect:

Palmerston/Tully/Mission Beach/Cowley Beach etc (What are just commonly known as "Black and Yellow" or "Black and Gold") will be the smallest, I believe at anything between 1.5 to 2m long (1.8 being the expected average though, very few would get bigger and although some breeders (Krauss lines etc) are smaller (and more feisty) the average max is usually is 1.8m.

Atherton JCP will average easily 1.8 - 2.1m I believe.

Have a squiz at these other threads if you want a bit more reading:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/smallest-jungle-101677/
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...ferences-atheton-jungle-jungle-carpet-136205/

Hope i've helped...

There are some Babinda local for sale up that way advertised on another forum at the moment they seem to fit the lowland description and have strong contrasting black and yellows

Thanks mrkos.

I think I've seen those ones. The phone number prefix is 4946, which I think is the Airlie Beach area [can anyone confirm this?] and is still 600km away from Cairns. My friend was hoping to be able to choose their own snake first hand and without the hassle of freighting.

I just looked at the sellers other ads and he or she is located at the whitsundays around airlie bit of a shame they look like the kind of line I wouldn't mind owning a pair of nice clean black and yellows like the cowleys

I have a 2 year old palmerston and he was slow starter weighing 39g and measuring 50cm at 6 months old, now at just over 2years he still only 72cm and weighs 105g (with 2 small quails in his belly!)
His temperament is now as docile as any python I have handled, but he started of like a spring! biting me up to 10 times in a row when picking him up, but I won't use a hook as from experience it lets the snake know that you feel intimidated by it (exactly why it strikes and may possibly continue to do so). I even used this technique with a 4 foot red belly I had, and before long it pays off well and leaving you with a snake that doesn't startle easily (some may disagree with this technq, but I wouldnt knock it until I tried it.
kenny
View attachment 231559View attachment 231558

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back