Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm from Wollongong or (The Gong) as we locals call it. Hmm whats good about the gong? I'm pretty sure the only thing i can think of good about this place is the beaches, We have some amazing beaches here including NSW safest (Port Kembla) just down the road from me haha. We have some pretty damn good looking forests up our escarpment too, Perfect for herping etc. Apart from that is the same thing keeping this site going, All the wonderful herpers lol.

i have been fully-retired for 24 years , plus 1 week..have done a fair bit of international travel in that time, but did not have the guts to sell-up, travel India for years, and years, a country which i know very well, indeed........instesd, ...i..pass my days looking at lizards and fishes

i have been fully-retired for 24 years , plus 1 week..have done a fair bit of international travel in that time, but did not have the guts to sell-up, travel India for years, and years, a country which i know very well, indeed........instesd, ...i..pass my days looking at lizards and fishes

the pharmacist in charge is sexy! other than that its a hole

I've been to Adelaide and SA in generaly many times and I'd love to live there...Victor Harbour, Goolwa...just love SA, but I guess it depends on what you're looking for in your lifestyle.

Well, at 60 LOL...I don't go to night clubs :)....I'd look pretty funny and out of place somewhere like that. LOL. Actually I never go to the beach or many of the other beauty spots around town either, and on the occasions we do, we think we should go more often. :) I like Rocky shops too for a change sometimes.

Oh dear, I'm trying to post things and I'm messing it all up....silly me !!!

Last edited:
Gordo, those photos remind me of my childhood :) I was travelling between Sydney and Lebanon every couple of years. Get bored of the city life, fly back home and be hunting for 3 months straight just to get my quick dose :) . One of my biggest passions. Trying to get a gun lisence right now in sydney, at my age is a hassle right now. So ill have to crave it for a couple more years before i try.

Just recieved this today. My partner has been spending xmas with her mob in the Kimberley and, realising her family were being ripped off by the local publican, who's the unnofficial art dealer in town, decided to open her own "open air" art centre and sell direct to the public, therefore cutting out the middle man (publican). All good, not harming anyone, except she informs me the local cops told her to shut up shop on complaint from the publican (loitering laws, or some **** like that)???!! Not all beer and skittles for some in the tropics, I guess.

Attachments

• 29-12-2011 8;03;16 PM [1600x1200].jpg
    29-12-2011 8;03;16 PM [1600x1200].jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 189
Just recieved this today. My partner has been spending xmas with her mob in the Kimberley and, realising her family were being ripped off by the local publican, who's the unnofficial art dealer in town, decided to open her own "open air" art centre and sell direct to the public, therefore cutting out the middle man (publican). All good, not harming anyone, except she informs me the local cops told her to shut up shop on complaint from the publican (loitering laws, or some **** like that)???!! Not all beer and skittles for some in the tropics, I guess.

Loitering in the middle of nowhere? lol what a joke!

I hardly even need to ask this question but... is the publican a balander? Has he been living there for 20 years and thinks he and he alone owns the joint?

He's not gonna stand for no upstart from armidale coming and ruining his business! Lol, similar stories happen here.

He used to be "Batman", on account of a tip off from some concerned parents to the police that their 12 year old kiddies were staying in one of his motel units rent free one fine evening. On entering, the cops found said "Batman" hiding in the linen closet....as Batman! (18mths good behaviour was the sentence as nothing had gone on). Not a nice kartiya (balanda).

He used to be "Batman", on account of a tip off from some concerned parents to the police that their 12 year old kiddies were staying in one of his motel units rent free one fine evening. On entering, the cops found said "Batman" hiding in the linen closet....as Batman! (18mths good behaviour was the sentence as nothing had gone on). Not a nice kartiya (balanda).

It's pretty terrible the things that have gone on.

The only places i've heard kartiya used instead of balanda is down in the Tanimi, Walpiri and Gurindji mob. Is there language connections there?

Sometimes living in my town is like living in a video game :p

Attachments

• Grand Theft Auto Geelong.jpg
    Grand Theft Auto Geelong.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 159
  • GTA Geelong.jpg
    GTA Geelong.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 144
Spot on Gordo:)!

My partner has full relatives who are Gurindji (many of whom she's never met). She's Yeidji, through her mother's side and I've often wondered about the "dji" and connection to far flung family? It's a long way from Cambridge Gulf to the Central deserts.

Apologies to the OP for off topic.

Btw Gordo, sorry to even go more off topic. But is there any chance if you have time, You could make a thread about hunting here in oz and some awesome field trip stories? I know its a big ask, but maybe if you have time here n there you could add stuff :) I havent gone in 3 yrs now, and im itchiingg for it :) It would be awesome to hear about peoples experiences hunting here.

I could but i really don't go out that much until the dry season comes and i'm really not that great of a hunter, i've only been doing it a few years. You should hit up Guzzo, he's a mad bow hunter. He's already posted a few rippin stories about carrying dead pigs for miles through snow just so he could pay his way through school and trying to make a spear and nearly getting gored by a big boar in the process lol.

Btw Gordo, sorry to even go more off topic. But is there any chance if you have time, You could make a thread about hunting here in oz and some awesome field trip stories? I know its a big ask, but maybe if you have time here n there you could add stuff :) I havent gone in 3 yrs now, and im itchiingg for it :) It would be awesome to hear about peoples experiences hunting here.

I like the 'smallish' city where you have access to everything you need, yet 15mins and you're still out in the bush. And speaking of which, the herps and wildlife up here are great :)

Hear, hear!

So few people living up here really appreciate what we have. Ask most of the locals what they like and they say 'The convenience of a big city with a small town attitude.' I like Darwin because it's a melting pot of a million different cultures, it's small and relatively underdeveloped (although that is changing at a fast pace).

And mate, there are plenty jobs up here the NT would love to have you back and i'm sure Armidale wont miss you!

I don't really live in a town though. Pictures talk better than words... this place is deadly, nuff said.

I wake up to this!
P7290301.jpg

I walk my dog here...
P8140017.jpg

I do this for fun...
P9140070.jpg

P7140260.jpg

FishingCahillsMarch011.jpg

gordsbuff2.jpg

Find these kinds of things walking distance from or at my back door.
PB210135.jpg

PB230149.jpg

PB230145.jpg

PB170110.jpg

PB230140.jpg

PB070041.jpg

PA250126.jpg
Screw it I'm moving to the Top End, hopefully an area in Arnhem Land.

Well, I don't know if I can decide whether it is the crack heads, smackies or yuppies trying to make people think it is an upper class haven on the beach that makes my town good.
St. Kilda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back