regestering a breeder name

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrodarknessanny

Reaction score
just exactly how dose one go about regestering a breeder name?

do you just start calling your self something (check to make sure the name isent already taken)

or what? ... whats the go?

sorry for beeing so vauge

I thought the same thing...it isnt like breeding dogs where you have a kennel name. You just sort of 'go by something' and people sort of just call you that. I recently changed my nick on here to fantazmic which is my kennel name when I was breeding staffies....so eventually when I have a clutch of jungles well they will be fantazmic jungles....well thats the idea anyway.

Elizabeth

we have talked about a breeders register etc from time to time but I dont know whats happened with it all...trouble is in order to have a proper pedigree data base we need to be able to microchip animals and I have had lots of discussion with people on the forum about this and it just cant happen....the microchips they currently have for dogs and cats jus dont work with snakes.

So for now everything is just based on trust and you can call yourself what you like

ah ok thanks,
yeah i know with dogs, cats, and even birds you can get papper work and regester your kennels/cattery/aviary name that way, just wasent sure if there was any thing like this in the reptile side of it thats all.

I thought the same thing...it isnt like breeding dogs where you have a kennel name. You just sort of 'go by something' and people sort of just call you that. I recently changed my nick on here to fantazmic which is my kennel name when I was breeding staffies....so eventually when I have a clutch of jungles well they will be fantazmic jungles....well thats the idea anyway.

Elizabeth

we have talked about a breeders register etc from time to time but I dont know whats happened with it all...trouble is in order to have a proper pedigree data base we need to be able to microchip animals and I have had lots of discussion with people on the forum about this and it just cant happen....the microchips they currently have for dogs and cats jus dont work with snakes.

So for now everything is just based on trust and you can call yourself what you like

Why don't they work, I know people who have GTPs, Albinos and Roughies microchipped and all NSW Broadheadeds are microchippend by NPWS

You can apply for a Registered Business Name. So you have a specific name you don't want others to use, registering it with Department Fair Trading makes it more official, and yours. But it will cost you $120, thereabouts, for three years.

I have heard of a National Body for reptiles - NSW Reptiles Association? or something like that. I don't know whether they register ppl's names? There are ppl here associated with that organisation. Maybe they will see this and give you a definite answer on this particular idea.

also interested in this to see what people do there are a few on this site that have names wonder if any of them can give any information

Microchips implanted under the skin could be easily removed and reused?? I'm pretty sure I read on here OEH (as they are now) wanted broadheadeds pit tagged into body cavity which resulted in some deaths?? Of which some vets were only tagging under skin. Dodgy people can still pass of non pure as pedigree if they want. Ie I have a clutch of jungles, get them tagged then cull them. Get hold of right size needle and reuse these tags into my jungle jags. The whole thing really comes down to how much u trust the breeder

Hi Dangles,

Yes I think that was the argument, and I read a very upsetting thread about some broadheads being tagged and some baby snakes being tagged and getting infections and dieing.

After reading that there is no way my snakes are getting microchipped until there is a microchip developed that can be used with snakes and not easily removed etc.

Elizabeth

just exactly how dose one go about regestering a breeder name?

Do you mean like Devil jungles? I've wondered how they ended up with that tag. I think the breeder's name is Neville, so obviously I know why Devil, but how his lines became generally known as "Devil" might be an interesting story.

You can apply for a Registered Business Name. So you have a specific name you don't want others to use, registering it with Department Fair Trading makes it more official, and yours. But it will cost you $120, thereabouts, for three years.

The thing you have to consider is that registering a business name to breed snakes makes your income taxable. If they still have the hobby loophole, I don't think you'd be able to use it anymore.

yeah can you use a name but not be registered buisiness or start a website with that name if its not a registered name

Why do you want to slap a name on things so they can be associated with yourselves anyway?

IMO if people don't refer to you when they are talking about the animals they got from you it's because the animal is nothing special and normal with no stand out features. To use the example of Nev's jungles or 'devil's jungles' as they've been referred to above, the name is just applied because he is known for his nice jungles and in this case when you know where it came from you can assume with a little more confidence that it's a nice jungle from a good line. It's not a thing breeders generally apply themselves, it's something the buyer does when showing off pictures and over time the 'line' becomes more popularly known. However, I have seen a couple guys try to give their animals a 'line' name and I think they look bloody stupid for it! If it deserves one, it'll just happen on it's own imo. If it doesn't happen it's because the animals don't really stand out or are characteristic of a certain breeder.

IMO, don't try to claim a line as your own or slap a name on them just to try and stand out from the rest, most of the time it'll just look stupid.

just my opinion :)

Jason, you're right but it's not always about naming a line. Many breeders produce multiple species and they may prefer to do it under a particular name, not necessarily their name. Snake Range is not Weigel's Range, on the other hand, the "Krauss line" of jungles refers only to one species, but he breeds many other species.
JMO

certainly not interested in naming a line a mean more a name for everything you breed for instance sxr i no theres is a buisiness but what if you want a name but just for your hobby

Microchips implanted under the skin could be easily removed and reused?? I'm pretty sure I read on here OEH (as they are now) wanted broadheadeds pit tagged into body cavity which resulted in some deaths?? Of which some vets were only tagging under skin. Dodgy people can still pass of non pure as pedigree if they want. Ie I have a clutch of jungles, get them tagged then cull them. Get hold of right size needle and reuse these tags into my jungle jags. The whole thing really comes down to how much u trust the breeder

Yes I can also go out and swap my number plate on my car with another one identical, there are always ifs and buts if we live like that it's going to be a very boring life.

"Devil jungles' is the result of years of dedicated breeding and fine tuning, blood, sweat and tears, time and patience (not to mention $$$ involved in original breeding stock.)

Registering a name will not buy integrity and/or any of the above

Cheers
Sandee :)

"Devil jungles' is the result of years of dedicated breeding and fine tuning, blood, sweat and tears, time and patience (not to mention $$$ involved in original breeding stock.)

Registering a name will not buy integrity and/or any of the above

Cheers
Sandee :)

I 100% agree Sandie. But if someone wants to set up a web site (even just to show off their collection), they have to call it something. I guess?

i 100% agree with sandie also but what waterrat just said is what i am talking about using a name to represent your reptiles not just what you breed but what you have what your working on etc

I always get a bit of a chuckle looking at some of the newer websites that seem to pop up all the time.For example a quick look under the "available" button reveals nothing until next year,wishful thinking at its best.The smoke and mirrors side of the hobby is only getting worse.

yeah i suppose that does happen a fair bit i think i was thinking more about my own website and name to show my projects and what i am working on.

yeah i suppose that does happen a fair bit i think i was thinking more about my own website and name to show my projects and what i am working on.

If that's all you want to do then just start a blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back