Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
St. Kilda?

Possibly Frankston. :D

I hardly even need to ask this question but... is the publican a balander? Has he been living there for 20 years and thinks he and he alone owns the joint?

What is a "balander"? I've checked the dictionary and it says it's an Aboriginal derogatory term for a white man, but I'm detecting more subtext than that.

Last edited:
Where I live just got ruined. They opened up a KFC. YUK. I really love looking at the escarpments. I HATE Wollongong and only wild horses will drag me in there. Stuff Darwin, I hate the heat.

Nope that's it, and it's not necessarily derogative. That depends on the prefix or suffix :) It comes from interaction with the Macassans (Macassar= Sulawesi these days)

"Hollander"- (Dutch East India Co influence in the region.) Got morphed into Balanda.

Dont get me started Gordo, I have large boxes full of photographs dating back to the 70s! Last time I tried to go through them was 6 years ago and I gave up, sorting and scanning them all will have to wait for retirement! I got things to do!

Where I live just got ruined. They opened up a KFC. YUK. I really love looking at the escarpments. I HATE Wollongong and only wild horses will drag me in there. Stuff Darwin, I hate the heat.

fine with us :)

Spot on Gordo:)!

My partner has full relatives who are Gurindji (many of whom she's never met). She's Yeidji, through her mother's side and I've often wondered about the "dji" and connection to far flung family? It's a long way from Cambridge Gulf to the Central deserts.

Apologies to the OP for off topic.

Mate I spent the best part of a year working with Gurindji. Byootiful people. Love that country around Kalkaringi too. I'd be honoured to be related to that mob.

Last edited:
What is a "balander"? I've checked the dictionary and it says it's an Aboriginal derogatory term for a white man, but I'm detecting more subtext than that.

That's balanda paranoia for ya, Ren:)!

Mate I spent the best part of a year working with Gurindji. Byootiful people. Love that country around Kalkaringi too. I'd be honoured to be related to that mob.

One day Steve, when were all retired, I'll have to take you and Gordo (and anyone else who's interested) to Kwini country up near King George Falls (with permission, of course), before STRIKERS mines the *** out of it for pink diamonds, now that's "byootiful" country:)!

Off topic, again...sorry OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gold Coast, beautiful hinterland and waterways, beaches, good dining plus shopping.
99% of outsiders only know of surfers paradise and thats the way we like it. ;)

That's balanda paranoia for ya, Ren:)!

One day Steve, when were all retired, I'll have to take you and Gordo (and anyone else who's interested) to Kwini country up near King George Falls (with permission, of course), before STRIKERS mines the *** out of it for pink diamonds, now that's "byootiful" country:)!

Off topic, again...sorry OP.

Apologies also to OP.

I'll never retire. All the "future funding" got eaten by evil shiny erm.. people... in glass towers who live there still.

Good news is I can do a trip like that legitimately in my line of work. Just need advance warning :)

I could but i really don't go out that much until the dry season comes and i'm really not that great of a hunter, i've only been doing it a few years. You should hit up Guzzo, he's a mad bow hunter. He's already posted a few rippin stories about carrying dead pigs for miles through snow just so he could pay his way through school and trying to make a spear and nearly getting gored by a big boar in the process lol.

HAHA, defs going to look those up. I got a couple of funny ones when i think about * wouldnt have been too funny if me or my brother and gotten hurt from them :$* . I remember when one of our hunting dogs ran into this old guy's field and us being too focused on the point, we got ready to flush not realising that the crazy old guy had seen us from his window. He let us know of his presence when a couple of shots went wizzing overhead. I think we were more pissed off at the time that he cost us the birds loool. Good X

ETA: Really sorry OP, get carried away with these sort of things..

Last edited:
I got shot in the a##e with salt when I was 8. Learnt the lesson and didnt go back (for a while)
I was catching lizards (barking geckoes) but some older fellas were riding his rams and breaking their legs.....and I was there lol.

He reckoned he was sorry but when he said it to me he was grinning from ear to ear. Just happy to have shot someone!

That area/creek is now a stormwater drain in a dull as dogshit suburb. Gone.

That's why I'm here. There is still actual World around me.

Steve, enjoy it while you still can. The scary thing about this old dude was he had no problems using real shells. And when he reloaded, us and the dogs were scattering left right and center, all the while looking back trying to see if the bird had held. LOOOL, just glad to still be around today with the amount of stupidity some people treat firearms, some who have been doing it for decades... Ahh those are stories for another day

Haha not only do I live in Geelong, but I'm in CORIO!!! Shame Shame Shame lol

Lol, oh no! I'm in Grovedale but sometimes that is like Corio too. One night there was a 6 car police chase in our street, the guy in the car they were chasing lived just across the road and hadn't been out of gaol long... straight back in! About 5 years ago I bought a motorcycle off a woman who lived in Corio, she's in prison now because she tried to hire a hit man to kill her husband!

Pair planned to pay hitman to kill woman's husband, Geelong court told - Local News - Geelong, VIC, Australia

Wayne Cherry who was also involved is a friend of mine, he gets out of prison in February. He didn't want Rick killed and didn't even think Sherie was going to go through with anything, she was always telling lies... one example is when she told her children who were 6 and 10 that she had cancer and she didn't. Nobody believed anything that came out of her mouth! I've spoken to Rick since this incident and he said he has no ill will towards Wayne, he said Wayne just got sucked in. When I was hanging around with both of them it was clear that they didn't like each other but they didn't start fights and were at least civil to each other... ah, it was fun :shock:

A very bad quality pic of me and Wayne:

View attachment 231729

A very bad quality pic of me and Wayne:

View attachment 231729

I never picked you as one to be sporting a beard tahlia! :lol:

The word in itself isn't derogatory and hasn't historically been used that way but like anything used in the right combinations it can be. You could compare it to how people use Jew. Historically it's not a derogatory term and it was never intended to be but used in combination with 'money grubbing' then it becomes racist.

Last edited:
l live in the northern suburbs of brizzy which suites me fine being an ex victorian but two places that imo are very very nice are the hinterland behind the goldie (in post 46) and another great spot is lake eachum, l hope l spelt it right its up on the tableland behind cairns with very low humidty not like cairns where you drink the air. l lived in darwin for 3 years but the only thing that didn't get stolen was your job and also the price of goods/food is terrible and the humidity rise in oct./ nov. takes some getting used to and all of this when the berrimah pub was the furtherest building from darwin cbd and the humpty doo pub got 30-40 to lunch on sunday.
.......solar 17 (baden)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back