2011 what stood out for you.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darlyn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, when you look back on the year what you feel is the most poignant, significant
funny or wonderful memory/s or just something you appreciated.

Right out in front for me was the Japanese earthquake and the watching as
their nuclear reactors melted down.
The aftermath of the Queensland floods.

Being rescued and still being alive (that one is close to home).

Reading Guzzo and Honest Pirate on this forum (strangely enough they have both runned away)

Happy New Years fellow APS'ers.

Last edited:
for me personally, the final year of my daughter in daycare/preschool. on to kindergarden next year and another step for her along life's journey.
getting immersed into this herpetology world. learning new things, getting involved with what i can and making some great new friends!

The rolling series of natural disasters at the beginning of the year was unprecedented. First the floods, then Yasi, the Christchurch earthquake, the Japanese earthquake and tsunami, another earthquake or three in Christchurch and Japan... it seemed like it was never going to end for a while. The Norwegian massacre was tragic. Funny how I can't think of any positive world events. There must have been some.

On a personal note, it's been a year of self-discovery with big changes for the better. To cut a long story short, getting my first snake ended up with me moving to Queensland, where I've discovered I feel at home. The year is ending on a high.

Happy 2012 to all.

Welcome home Renenet : )
I loved Cairns when I lived there, enjoy and explore.
Happy New Year!!

Finishing my veterinary degree :) 17 years of schooling and education straight, has finally ended.

Experienced my first tropical cyclone- Yasi - though not a direct hit.

Finding out that I'm going to be a father, now to wait for the little one to be born at the end of febuary. Good luck everyone for 2012
happy new year.

Seeing the most inocent thread, turn into a total sh$T fight ,on a completely different topic :p

Getting my first snake!!! and becoming part of APS.

and as said above all the natural disasters. Its hard to believe that all that happened nearly a year ago now.

Hope everyone has a great and safe night, and an even better new year!

As everyone else has said...the never ending stream of natural disasters that happened in 2011...nature was truly peeved.

Personally...after being involved with snakes since I was about 12 (approx 20yrs ago) we finally decided to get into the pet side of things & now have 6 gorgeous little reptilian members of the family with more being planned. Loosing my first pet, Chockie the cat, after 18yrs together :(.
Preparing to send my 1st born away for senior high school has been pretty rough also even though I am super excited for him. Things will be so quiet next yr with one child down. OOO & finally deciding to do something about my expanding waist line after having baby No. 4 10 yrs ago. 17kg lost in 6 months, YAY.

Well done to those who have fought back & won in life threatening situations... I hope you can all enjoy 2012 & I look forward to seeing all the new little additions that I know we will all eventually get :).

Went to Cambodia as a school trip to help out an orphanage for a week, gerneral care and building stuff for them :D Also its the last day of 2011 and Im getting my first 3 snakes today :D 3 jungles :D

Catching a hell flu on the last day of the year definately a low light!

Gadafi and Bin Laden getting their just deserts was good.

Christchurch and ***ushima bad.

Darlyn surviving was superb. Darlyn catching the biggest fish on our big fishing trip not so good.

New job great, new manager a w*****r not so good.

Little Darwin turning into a Gobbleguts after not eating for 4 months very good!

Venomdude - wow, congrats on beating cancer, that's an awesome success! I hope it never comes back =D

Being caught in the 2011 floods was a scary, and memorable, part of the yr for me.
as the others have said, the other natural disasters around the world have made you take a step back and realise how powerful nature really is.

a month ago my 'offer' for a double lung transplant came through the day I was meant to go home from hospital.
Unfortunately, after being prepped for surgery and arriving at theatre & waiting for an hour, only to be told that the lungs weren't 'viable'.. that shattered my hopes completely.
Friday 23rd Dec. I received another 'offer' we made the mad dash from home (Ipswich) to Brisbane, only to be told an hour later the donor lungs had started to die off :'( Something just didn't feel right about that night though, like my body was expecting something to go wrong.
3rd time lucky, hopefully. Mum has bets it's going to be tonight, or tomorrow night :lol::rolleyes:

Ohh the new Nickelback album was released while I was in hospital, so that definitely cheered me up!! :D

I hope everyone has a wonderful 2012, and it will not be as eventful as 2011 (in a good way!!)

Good luck trouble. Stories like yours makes me realise how good my life is, i've got nothing to complain about.

My highlight was teaching one of my students who couldn't recognise any letters or sounds late in 2010 to read and write in english this year. That's what hard work and commitment on his and his mother's behalf can do!

Thanks waruikazi :) we all have our battles, it's how we deal with them that makes us stand out. I love reading your posts, nice change from most of the dribble I read on the net :lol: I hope your pup behaves next yr and doesn't cost you a small fortune haha.

Lol, i'm sure not everyone agrees with you :p

He's already cost me a bit over $4k in the last week... Mongrel thing, but he's home now. Thanks for the wishes!

Thanks waruikazi :) we all have our battles, it's how we deal with them that makes us stand out. I love reading your posts, nice change from most of the dribble I read on the net :lol: I hope your pup behaves next yr and doesn't cost you a small fortune haha.

Saddest thing in my area was the murder of 15 yr old Jessie Cate, about 2 weeks before Christmas. The town is still reeling, at least they got the guy. Her older sister's ex boyfriend.

On a personal note....not a very good year. Had a mastectomy on Jan.31st...and a couple of weeks ago had 8 days in hospital due to stress caused by the cancer diagnosis and trying to deal with it. But as far as I know I'm clear of the cancer. So am looking forward to a very quiet, uneventful 2012.

Love coming to this site...takes me away from any reminders of illness and the wider world around me, love all you guys, so a happy and healthy 2012 to all of you. xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back