Can Someone Help Me?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kedan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi i'm a new handler, i've had my Albino Darwin for about 6 months now, and i want to learn as much as i can about my little guy to make sure he has the best life he can have, so if anyone with lots of experience has any tips that will help me out, leave me a comment, or mail me with it, also will go to the library and look up some good books to learn about them, so if anyone would be able to help out, i'd appreciate it

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? In general search the forums here, and ask if there are any questions, like you have :)

All the best.

more so like about how to take care of them correctly, i was talking to mic a breeder on here who's been doing it over 28 years, he said i need to learn more about them and get a lot more exp, like he said it's bad to have them in a wood or glass cage thing ( forgot the name, long day ), more about feeding them, like only once every 2 weeks, and stuff like that, so i got a lot to learn really, so i'd like to start at the beginning

Why didn't you learn as much as you could before getting your snake if you are unsure on the correct husbandry? What setup have you been keeping your snake in for the last 6 months?

more so like about how to take care of them correctly, i was talking to mic a breeder on here who's been doing it over 28 years, he said i need to learn more about them and get a lot more exp, like he said it's bad to have them in a wood or glass cage thing ( forgot the name, long day ), more about feeding them, like only once every 2 weeks, and stuff like that, so i got a lot to learn really, so i'd like to start at the beginning

lol that wood or glass cage thing would be an enclosure or the fancy name is a vivarium i totally agree with davies on this one. I think you get your hands on some Reptile books, I have Keeping and breeding Australian pythons by Michael Swan theres a few good ones out there you can read up on that will help you out. I'm curious to know what your keeping it in now..

got as much prior knowledge as u can before purchasing an animal. i agree with aussie-pride's post, mike swan herp books are really good, buy that book and read it. helped me as a newbie sooo much.

lol that wood or glass cage thing would be an enclosure or the fancy name is a vivarium i totally agree with davies on this one. I think you get your hands on some Reptile books, I have Keeping and breeding Australian pythons by Michael Swan theres a few good ones out there you can read up on that will help you out. I'm curious to know what your keeping it in now..

6 ft tall, 3 ft wide, 2 lvl, double enclosure, wood with glass sliding doors, he told me it was bad, so wondering what to get for it, price is not a matter, money means nothing to me, i work, so would spend thousands on something for him if it was good

So long as you have temperature control anything can be a suitable container
That is huge viv for a little snake but it will grow into it
Simply make sure that it has a warm place and a cooler place so it can choose where it wants to play
You can add heat with heat mats or lamps running through a thermostat
Put a few things in there for it to hide in so it feels safe
You will have people say the viv is too big and the snake will have feeding problems
That is complete rubbish and only happens if the snake has nowhere to hide
A couple of water bowls
Few branches to exercise on

Check out some of the set-ups on here
Find one you like and use it for inspiration
In the DIY section is lots of information about making fake rock walls painting sealing heating etc etc etc

I am wondering how old your Darwin is if "Mic" reckoned you should be feeding it fortnightly. If you know its length and or weight, that would help too.

Until you can get your hands on the Mike Swan book, here is a set of articles from a highly respected and successful pofessional breeder... Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

Blue

I am wondering how old your Darwin is if "Mic" reckoned you should be feeding it fortnightly. If you know its length and or weight, that would help too.

Until you can get your hands on the Mike Swan book, here is a set of articles from a highly respected and successful pofessional breeder... Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

Blue

He's about 15 months, 1 year 3 months, weight i don't know i need to get scales, about 3 foot, shed 3 times, but he said that's normal

So long as you have temperature control anything can be a suitable container
That is huge viv for a little snake but it will grow into it
Simply make sure that it has a warm place and a cooler place so it can choose where it wants to play
You can add heat with heat mats or lamps running through a thermostat
Put a few things in there for it to hide in so it feels safe
You will have people say the viv is too big and the snake will have feeding problems
That is complete rubbish and only happens if the snake has nowhere to hide
A couple of water bowls
Few branches to exercise on

Check out some of the set-ups on here
Find one you like and use it for inspiration
In the DIY section is lots of information about making fake rock walls painting sealing heating etc etc etc

Thanks for the info, i try to keep it at about 33c, for the temp, he's got a water bowl, which gets cleaned daily, mic said to get chinese containers and throw them out daily, i'll take some pics after and upload them of the enclosure

well if money is no issue i can make you a click clack for 3k. I will even make it double story for 5k total.

what's a click clack, and what size would it be

as Bluetongue1 suggested the Southern Cross articles are particularly good and should answer most of your questions so I'd strongly suggest you have a good read of them ( some links below) and the mike swan book is good too. theres plenty of threads on here so have a read and the DIY section will give you ideas on enclosures and making accesories for it like backgrounds etc.

sounds like you have things under control but make sure there is a temperature gradient inside the enclosure (hot and cold ends) and regularly check the temps with a thermometer to make sure the thermostat is working properly. you said you've had the albino 6 months and its shed 3 times? thats every 8 weeks and is similar to the amount of food Id be feeding him so he sheds roughly every 8 weeks. the water doesnt really need to be changed daily unless its dirty but theres nothing wrong with changing it daily if you have the time. once or twice a week is ok usually. enjoy your albino darwin.. there great pythons

handling and basics Untitled Document
housing and enclosures Untitled Document
maintenance Untitled Document
breeding part 1 Untitled Document
breeding part 2 Untitled Document
breeding part 3 Untitled Document
breeding part 4 Untitled Document
index and Q&A Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

Last edited:
awesome thanks for your help, will check them out when i get home from work, i have decided to build a snake enclosure with my dad, 6 ft tall, or upgrade mine a bit, did a post in DIY fourm

You said you've had your python for 6 months. If he is alive and happy, eating well, and shedding well, goes to the toilet, bites and all the rest, don't change anything. Yeah you can upgrade his enclosure, add a new piece of furniture, upsize his water bowl as he grows, but other than that, if he is well, you don't need to change anything. I am a firm believe of the saying "don't fix what isn't broken". Your experience will grow with your snake. You can do plenty of research on diseases, and husbandry, but you can only gain experience from doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back