Nephrurus amyae regurgitate decayed cricket.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarrod_H

Reaction score
G'day
got a Nephrurus amyae had him for months now feeds good on crickets, warm area at 30.5, growing fast shedding
fine.

fed him last-night
saw the lil fella come out of his cave today and open his mouth shake his head and out comes what looks like a capsule size/shape decayed cricket.

now i spot clean on a regular bases and have seen these laying around the enclosure before and didnt think anything of it like it was just droppings.

maybe its nothing maybe they digest the flesh/nutrience and then regurgitate the outer shell/skeleton??

can anyone shed some light on this?
thanks

How often and how many crickets do you feed at once? This occasionally occurs when an animal is fed too much at once. Be careful as it can become an ongoing problem and lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Cut back feeding to 2 crickets every 2-3 days until you stop finding the regurgitated masses and make sure you are regularly misting the gecko. It might also pay to increase supplement frequency for the time being.
Hope it settles down for you.

i dont know why i didnt think over feeding was the cause.
i am feeding one cricket every second day so i guess its not enough time between meals for the lil fella, ill cut back the meals.
thanks.

What size is the gecko and what size crickets are you feeding? 1 cricket every second day is not overfeeding, if anything you are not feeding it enough. That may indicate another reason for it to be doing this. I feed about 4 appropriate sized crickets every other day to my amyae without regurgitation resulting.

In relation to the recent snake regurge threads, is it possible that geckos could regurge because of heat?

Since overfeeding is ruled out, is impaction another likely cause?

Sorry I have no experience myself, just offering options.

he is no less than 100mm and eats large crickets.
food too big maybe? he dose take the cricket with ease

i dont think he is impacted because i still see droppings.

Last edited:
Try monitor the air temp at night in the room he is in, as usually regerg. is usually caused by sudden changes in temp.

well im regularly misting the gecko and giving smaller food items.
haven't had any more problems :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back