can someone ID this monitor i found

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryant16

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
found this little, what i assume to be a monitor in my back yard in this tub of water. i have googled abit and i want to say its a water monitor but my knowledge only extends to snakes and i know nothing about lizards or monitors.

it does seem very lathargic and doesnt move much unless i pick it up then it squirms. i have left in in the tub in the sun with a shade option and a rock so it can get out but it isnt going anywhere, i offered it meal worms and chicken and it ate the chicken. it keeps curling its back legs together so im wondering if something is wrong.

thanks guys

View attachment 232552

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 359
i just googled it. i thinks thats exactly what it is- banded tree monitor.!?
it says its common where i live.
any idea about how its behaving?

Its half starved, probably fell in there getting a drink and has deteriorated since. Personally id be sticking it on a tree in the sun tomorrow morning and see if it moves off of its own accord.

It seems more like V. tristis to me.

It certainly does look very emaciated with loose skin on the body and tail. I would be tempted to feed it up for a week or two before releasing it. That may well fix the problem it is having with movement at present.

Blue

It seems more like V. tristis to me.

It certainly does look very emaciated with loose skin on the body and tail. I would be tempted to feed it up for a week or two before releasing it. That may well fix the problem it is having with movement at present.

Blue

What do you feed this type of monitor? I know it eats chicken. What heat temp does itt require also. Would it still survive if I just realesed it.

Thanks
ryan

It is a Scalaris, a very crook lookin one at that. I would take it to ARK at palmerston, they will check it right over and give it its best chance at rehab.

r3ptilian, I do not know what ARK is and was under the impression there was no organised wildlife carer agency or organisation in the NT.

Secondly, I initially thought V. scalaris but then the dark head and daek tail, so common in tristis in much of WA, plus the long neck and pointy looking snout, swayed me. I will say that i had to overcome the fact that the back markings did not consist of clear ocelli. I would appreciate it if you could explain your ID because I have had almost nothing to do with scalaris and am very keen to learn.

Thanks,
Blue

ARK is the equivalent of the RSPCA located at Palmerston on the outskirts of Darwin.They pretty much take on all the native wildlife that is injured sick or displaced and do a very good job ,whether it be with a sick hawks bill turtle, Dugong or an injured frilly or owl the care is the same. The only reason I thought it was Scalaris was going off specimens that I have found around Litchfeild NP, Kakadu NP and West Arnhem Land. Dont quote me but I believe it is Varanus Scalaris "Pellewensis", if not I have it mixed up with the NQ form which is "Kuranda" either way I still say Scalaris.

Thanks for that r3ptilian. It is good to know the place exists. We have a couple of similar institutions in Perth. Knowing how they work here, I have no doubt ARK is the best place for the monitor. It will get a thorough assessment of state of health and will receive appropriate treatment accordingly.

I must say that I do find it a particularly attractive form, whichever it is.

Blue

No worries Blue, but we still dont know in which area it was found in the tub of water, so it may well be a form of Tristis that I have not seen in the NT. I hope either way it is doing well and on its way to a speedy recovery.

Definitely a scalaris it's pattern etc is very typical of an nt animal. It's neither the kuranda or pellewensis form.

yeh to me it looks like a NT scalaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back