Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mummabear

Reaction score
Over the New Year break, I headed up to Black Mountain hoping to see the Black Mountain Gecko Nactus galgajuga. Unfortunately, I did not see any, but met my new favourite reptile, the Black Mountain Skink Liburnascincus scirtetis. I can't believe such a small herp has so much character and personality.

BMS 3.jpg
Liburnascincus scirtetis.jpgBMS 2.jpg

They are fearless and friendly, I spent several hours catching and feeding them the local cuisine (various types of flies).

photographing BMS.jpg

hand-feeding BMS.jpg

Here are some pictures of other skinks at Black Mountain, but none compare to my new favourite.

Eulamprus brachysoma.jpg
Carlia longipes.jpg

I camped nearby and found this little guy,

Cyrtodactylus tuberculatus.jpg

and this morning found these on the way home.

Diporiphora australis 2.jpgDiporiphora australis.jpgDemansia papuensis.jpg

How come you didn't see any galgajuga, they're everywhere. ??? Did you climb up the boulders a bit?
Nice juvenile rign-tail.

I'm only a novice herper Michael. I'll try harder next time. But I have found my new calling, as a twitcher.
This little fellow wandered into my tent. I was excited when I thought I had found a chinese painted quail, but as it turns out, a friend has just told me that it is a juvenile Buff-breasted Button Quail Turnix olivii. I googled it out of interest and the Australian Government website says "There have not been any recent records from near Coen or Cooktown". I let him/her go on its merry way and obviously there is a breeding pair near Black Mountain.

Turnix olivii.jpgTurnix olivii 2.jpg

Wow, immediately email John Weigel, he will burst with envy. lol He is coming up this way shortly and this species is on his hit list.

Hi Ursula,

Looks like you had a good trip. Those Quail are quiet common on the grassy sections that border the national park. They are cute little fellas hey!

Nice finds. Those Black Mountain Skinks are great little lizards. They often seem so inquisitive and rather fearless for their size.

The button-quail was a good one! There are many birders who would be happy to see that species.

Regards,
David

the Liburnascincus scirtetis look very friendly, and the colour of the Diporiphora australis is extremely nice. Turnix olivii are a special bird, and not commonly encountered. some great finds.

I couldn't believe that the scirtetis would eat straight out of my hand. It was such a fantastic experience. If anyone has these in captivity i would sure love to get some.

Buttonquail identification

Hi,

Your buttonquail is actually a Red-backed Buttonquail. Would've been nice if you'd found a Buff-breasted. They have never been photographed ... here's an article about them A Ghost in Daylight | bird-o. Nice though - I guess it was attracted to light at night. They can be amazingly confiding, as you found out ; )

Simon.

I'm only a novice herper Michael. I'll try harder next time. But I have found my new calling, as a twitcher.
This little fellow wandered into my tent. I was excited when I thought I had found a chinese painted quail, but as it turns out, a friend has just told me that it is a juvenile Buff-breasted Button Quail Turnix olivii. I googled it out of interest and the Australian Government website says "There have not been any recent records from near Coen or Cooktown". I let him/her go on its merry way and obviously there is a breeding pair near Black Mountain.

Quail on Black Mountain

Hi Michael,

I'm a birder/herper, and am familiar with BBBQ. The quail you have photographed is a male, red-backed button quail. BBBQ has never been photographed alive before.

Cheers,

Nepherus

I just had a look at the pictures of the Red-Backed Buttonquail and it defiantly looks like one. What a shame.
O well i will need to improve on my twitching and herping skills. He was still very cute. Thanks guys.

Hi,

Your buttonquail is actually a Red-backed Buttonquail. Would've been nice if you'd found a Buff-breasted. They have never been photographed ... here's an article about them A Ghost in Daylight | bird-o. Nice though - I guess it was attracted to light at night. They can be amazingly confiding, as you found out ; )

Simon.

Thanks for clearing it up Simon. They are the same as the ones I see nearly every trip there so that explains why I did not see what the fuss was about, lucky I am not a birdo as John only asked me about the Buff Breasted last week. I just said that there are heaps of Quail's there lol. A safe answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back