Keeping Crickets Alive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

statonb

Reaction score
Hi guys just got my gf a bearded dragon afew weeks ago and i have a cricket question,most of my experience is with pythons but i wanted to know how to keep my crickets alive,i usly get them from the petstore but they are starting to cost to much but i found a place that sells them in bulk thanks to reading afew threads on here (frogs.com.au)my question is can sumone point me in the direction of setting up a cricket habitat so i can buy them and keep them live as this is new to me.

DeadCricket, of all people I wouldnt have expected you to be giving a reliable answer.. :p

I keep a big tub of red lizard sand on a heat mat and overflow my water bowl every few days holds a nice amount of humidity but not enough to kill any feed them oats ,carrot and gutload put in a couple of tubs of adults within 2 weeks there will be thousands of baby crickets hopping around everywhere sounds like a bit of extra work but rarely find any dead crickets and a good way to start your own colony

thanks guys,need to do something and buy them in bulk cos the charge $8.50 a box at pet paradise and they only last 2 days

I buy two tubs at a time, as soon as I get them home I put them into a medium-sized fish tank plastic container (with a secure lid) and out of the tub they came in asap. You can buy cricket keepers but I think they aren't necessary. I keep a small dish full of water crystals which can be bought at most petshops, and another small dish with gutload. Egg carton from tubs as hides. I also put in a few bits of dry cat or dog food. I have zero die and I have noticed they seem to last longer with the crystals.

I think the above setup sounds good to breed too, I might give that a shot.

I pay $3 a tub from Aggies in adelaide, I go in on a wednesday afternoon when the fresh lot are delivered (pisces brand). $8.50 is ridiculous!!

i get mine through Live foods unlimited in 2000 lots not bad priced and they ship to my door. Have only had good experiences with them.

[/QUOTE]
I pay $3 a tub from Aggies in adelaide, I go in on a wednesday afternoon when the fresh lot are delivered (pisces brand). $8.50 is ridiculous!![/QUOTE]

$3 sounds dear! just breed your own woodies,much easier and peacefully quite!!!

cool thanks for the tips guys and yea it is ridiculous $8.50 pisces brand and your lucky to get 15 crickets

i get mine through Live foods unlimited in 2000 lots not bad priced and they ship to my door. Have only had good experiences with them.

Yep I got about 1k from them last time not one dead had a few dead ones from frogs though think it was the heat but it didn't really worry me.

Guys whats Gutload?

thanks guys,need to do something and buy them in bulk cos the charge $8.50 a box at pet paradise and they only last 2 days
holy crap only 2 days?
i get 3 packets of crickets from the local store a week (7$ each) chuck one pack in the cricket keeper with carrot gutload and cricket crystals chuck carrot and apple in the other two packs and havent had any die on me so far and i only buy the packs a week ( maybe i am not feeding Buddha enough?)
oh and i keep them in a dark cupboard under the enclosure

One thing I will suggest if you want to keep your crickets alive , do not but off frogs.org as there will already be a large amount dead upon arrival , try personal pet services in qld.

ah ok i had a look at frogs.com.au and they do have good prices,my beardies just a baby but she runs thru crickets like that lol

In my experience they hardly need anything to keep them alive, if you have a tub, with some cardboard tubes/egg cartons and just some carrots or patatoe slices as they get all there food and water from the veggies, then just take it out and replace it every few days so they don't mould. you won't have to change the tub out that often either, just when it starts to smell i guess. Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back