Fixing, or at least improving, scratched glass?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm back in the DIY section again - I think I'll be hanging out here quite a lot in the next couple of weeks. :)

I've found a glass aquarium for my stimmie that I'm going to use as an enclosure. The glass is a little scratched in places. I can live with it if I have to, but would like to fix it if I can.

Someone suggested CLR, but I know nothing about toxicity or whether it would be in any way helpful. If anyone has any other recommendations for possible fixes, please post them here.

Thanks,
Renenet

when i was thinking of buying a second hand aquarium i did a lot of research about this and only foung one story of a guy who had fixed it with a buffer and some special oxide. if you google im sure you will be able to find it. keep in mind though what it costs to fix it might just be cheaper to get a new tank.
sorry i couldnt be of more help

Thanks. I think that's probably more effort than it's worth. I'm just wondering if there's any substance that will do the job quickly without leaving any toxic residue. Otherwise, I can deal with it. :)

Been there , done that. First try some toothpaste and a damp cloth. If that doesn`t work get some automotive buffing- cutting compound and rub your brains out. Be carefull not to overheat the glass if you use an electric buffing machine, glass breaks. Keeping the buff pad damp to wet helps lots. Might surprise yourself with the results , depending on how deep the scratches are. Buff it up with a dry towel or similar. Lime scale might need something like CLR to break it down but if you use lots of elbow grease that might not be needed. Wash it out with soap and water thouroughly when your satisfied with the finish. Ross.

Ahhhh, the toothpaste trick. I forgot about that. I'll give that a go. If that doesn't work I'll move on to other ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back