Knife Sharpening - I'm looking at you Gordo and Steve

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I have done heaps of searching and there seems to be lots of different videos with lots of different methods. So far the one below seemed like the best method but I always thought you were supposed to use a circular motion. Can anyone elaborate and maybe point me to a better video?
By the way it's for an old diving knife that my cousin gave me and I'm using a stone similar to the one in the video but I plan on using oil on it.

[video=youtube;lBXRkMZfIXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBXRkMZfIXk[/video]

Yeah that is a pretty good basic guide. The only thing i really do different is i'll do it 10 times on the same side and then flip it over and do 10 on the other, then 9, 8, 7 etc etc down to 0 instead of alternating each stroke. Then i'll use the steel and then if i'm feeling really flash i'll put it on a old leather belt to strop the blade.

This series is good. Knife Sharpening : Knife Sharpening: Common Mistakes - YouTube

The way he is doing it is the way I have always sharpened knives. I think the problem with going in a circle or figure 8 like some people do is it pulls the burrs from sharpening over the knife edge and you don't get the best blade out of it. I use the same stone he uses in there but I use water with it too to try stop it clogging up. My girlfriends dad is shocking at sharpening knives to the point where all his knives have a bow in the cutting edge but no matter how hard you try and tell him his way is the only way to do it! I only need to do this to them twice a year, the rest of the time I just use a butchers steel to keep them sharp.

Great advice, you shoudl only need to sharpen your knives once a year or so, throughout the year you should be able to keep the blade nice an hair popping just by using the steel.

Ah ok awesome thanks fellas I'm gonna have a go tonight. So water is all you need? Not oil?

Sorry cobber, I just blunt knives and when they wont cut through tissue paper I rub em on the nearest rock or house brick :)

I'm afraid I've wrecked some beautiful knifes.

Japanese/Koreans use pumice stone and ash with spit
Seems to work ok on katanas

When I was at tech learning my trade we were taught to use a figure 8 on our chisels. i did it at work and my boss grabbed it off me said 'thats all a load of tafe crap', and showed me straight up and down the oil stone.
Never used "8' again, and have real sharp chisels.

Use soapy water, gives a good viscosity and cleans your knife as you go.

This info doesn't apply to swords Hrafna, not sure about them, Zorro man : )

If you want to get really serious, this machine is the answer.

[video=youtube;CY6DJ0PQxyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY6DJ0PQxyA[/video]

I am a butcher and still sharpen my as in the video in the first post, but a couple of butchers I used to work with had machines like this and the edge they could put on a knife is phenomenal due to the control of the sharpening angle. If you watch all the videos in the series you can learn alot about knife sharpening too.

stoning your knife is important but its more important to steel your knife properly . also a tip is to keep your knives shoulders down by rubing them down flat a belt sander can come in handy for this or a hollow grinder if you are lucky enough to have one , there are quite a few stones you can get also combos are good to start on then finish on ceramic eg..

A mate of mine switched me onto dishwashing liquid years ago and I have been using it ever since. I just wet the stone under the tap first then run a generous slick straight down the center. Works a treat and when you’re finished you just rinse it off under the tap.

I was a chef for years and the method in the first post is pretty much what I have always used then two different steels. The second steel works pretty much like a leather strop being very smoooth. We used dishwashing liquid on the stone as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back