Monitor help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinners121

Reaction score
next month i will be getting a pair of varanus caudolinatus and i know that i need a basking spot between 60-70 degrees and that they also require a very dry environment as they get RI extremely easily. What i am wondering is how people keep their basking spot at such a high temperature? e.g what globes they use? and if anyone keeps them i would love to see their set ups. as google has not been my friend and i havnt been able to find anything about these monitors besides a picture or 2.
Cheers

Have a look into GU10 halogen globes. They are 240 volt so easy to connect and with a 50W globe (maybe even 35W) you will get that temperature very easily

thanks what distance from the basking spot should those go?

You'd have to play around with it. With 35W globes and a black painted stack I'm getting about 50°C from about 6" away

I tried the halogen globes but wasn't very happy with them. I use ceramic heat elements, available from HerpShop. A bit more expensive but they last forever and are the best monitor heaters imo.

Karly, how do you get a basking spot that temperature with ceramic emitters? I thought you needed something with a bit of a directional beam to get a high surface temp

theres nothing wrong with 60 watt spot lights or 80 flood lights, cheap and easy.

Last edited:
Karly, how do you get a basking spot that temperature with ceramic emitters? I thought you needed something with a bit of a directional beam to get a high surface temp

I have my hatchy lace monitor in a 4ft fish tank set up with a ceramic, basically I have the heat lamp set up in one end angled to face away from the cool end and a log under it so the lizard can get right up close to it. I also have the top of the enclosure vented and covered with fly screen so the heat escapes effectively. This set up allows for a very hot basking spot without sacrificing the temp gradient.
I kept the halogen one for my blue tongue but I preferred the ceramics for the monitors, especially the big guys.

I have my hatchy lace monitor in a 4ft fish tank set up with a ceramic, basically I have the heat lamp set up in one end angled to face away from the cool end and a log under it so the lizard can get right up close to it. I also have the top of the enclosure vented and covered with fly screen so the heat escapes effectively. This set up allows for a very hot basking spot without sacrificing the temp gradient.
I kept the halogen one for my blue tongue but I preferred the ceramics for the monitors, especially the big guys.
what wattage do you use as the best i have ever gotten with a ceramic is about 45

Sinners121 post some pics of your set up, it will help us help you.

Considering they are aboreal. I would use a 50w gu10 & give the monitor some height.

Sinners121 post some pics of your set up, it will help us help you.
hasnt been built yet as i still cannot find what people would recommend as a decent sized enclosure for a pair. it wont take me long to build though as i have all the materials on hand. im thinking though i may build a 4 foot by 4 foot by 2foot wide enclosure with a mesh roof. If that would be plenty of room i am happy if not please tell as i want them to have plenty of room not the minimum amount.

That size would be great for a pair. They are really cool monitors. Would they be wild caught pair? Or captive bred by Gary?
You would need atleast two gu10 50w bulbs in that size enclosure as one basking site. Also consider a second basking spot if there will be a pair together.

Last edited:
That size would be great for a pair. They are really cool monitors. Would they be wild caught pair? Or captive bred by Gary?
You would need atleast two gu10 50w bulbs in that size enclosure as one basking site. Also consider a second basking spot if there will be a pair together.

Two 50W globes seems a little excessive. I was getting almost 100°C surface temp with a single 50W before I dropped to a 35

not sure but most likely WC i probably would have 2 basking spots :)

QUOTE Two 50W globes seems a little excessive. I was getting almost 100°C surface temp with a single 50W before I dropped to a 35 QUOTE

ill play around and see what i get anyway :) id prefer to have the globe at least 30cm from the basking spot anyway.

Saximus, it would depend on what size your enclosure is and what you have as a basking site. I used a single 50w for my lacey in a 900x600x600mm (lxhxw), but now i have two 50w bulbs for her new enclosure which is 1200x1200x600mm, this covers a greater surface area of heating for the basking site for the monitor.
Im no expert guru, but to me it make sense for such a large enclosure. Especially considering the huge ventilation he will need to keep the enclosure dry.

they also require a very dry environment as they get RI extremely easily.

I'd be a bit concerned with this bit of info, as most monitors, even arid adapted species seem to seek out moist micro habitats to avoid the effects of dehydration. Can they not be kept like Gillens, as they are found in similar environments? If so, I'd provide moist hide areas in cooler parts of their enclosure as well as the hot basking temps. I would have thought 1200mm x 600mm x 600mm would be fine for a pair and provide 2 x 50W halogen floods rather than spots to avoid burns to the animals. U.V lights may also be useful and occasional calcium supps (in the form of powdered insects).

You may just need to have a little trial and error exercise here, i think this will be best as your set up will differ at least slightly to the next person. You have a month so have a play around and see what works.

I'd be a bit concerned with this bit of info, as most monitors, even arid adapted species seem to seek out moist micro habitats to avoid the effects of dehydration. Can they not be kept like Gillens, as they are found in similar environments? If so, I'd provide moist hide areas in cooler parts of their enclosure as well as the hot basking temps. I would have thought 1200mm x 600mm x 600mm would be fine for a pair and provide 2 x 50W halogen floods rather than spots to avoid burns to the animals. U.V lights may also be useful and occasional calcium supps (in the form of powdered insects).

everything i have read has informed me that they are highly prone to RI. they will also always have access to water but in the most ventilated area to avoid any build up of humidity. i have not kept gillens and probably wont be able to for a long time as i live in perth. :(

i am yet to read any decisive material to suggest that monitors need UV i may well still supply it though and they will of course be fed a variety of insects and some other whole prey items.

as for the size if ive got the extra space why not use it?? my collection has to stay small(ish) for the next 2 years so i might as well give them a large interactive enclosure :)

i think i will get some flood lights as well as hallogen and play around with the set up to ensure an even basking spot that both monitors can easily use.
thank you everyone for there help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back