Monitor help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be a bit concerned with this bit of info, as most monitors, even arid adapted species seem to seek out moist micro habitats to avoid the effects of dehydration. Can they not be kept like Gillens, as they are found in similar environments? If so, I'd provide moist hide areas in cooler parts of their enclosure as well as the hot basking temps. I would have thought 1200mm x 600mm x 600mm would be fine for a pair and provide 2 x 50W halogen floods rather than spots to avoid burns to the animals. U.V lights may also be useful and occasional calcium supps (in the form of powdered insects).

Hi mate,

A lot of people have had dramas with Caudos getting R.I. I don't know if they are just a bit more nervous and flighty than other small monitors and more prone to stress maybe?

Mine are kept by at a friend on the Gold Coast and he has never had an issue with any humidity or any R.I issues however I know of three keepers on the coast who lost multiple animals when kept the same as Gillens????

One thing I do know is that they are just the coolest looking pygmy goannas getting around I reckon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back