New Red Belly, first elapid

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel1234

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo, I have finally found myself a nice RBB to call my own.
Very nice temperament, very active and inquisitive. Cant get a decent picture of him just yet so stole the one used by the sellers on RDU. Thats him or his bro in my avatar. Purchased here in SA but originally from a breeder in Victoria I think.

Just needed to tell some one who may appreciate it as every one else thinks I am mad.
My elapid journey begins....:D:D:D

Last edited:
A friend of mine has one, I've seen it a few times. They are a fantastic looking snake! I think they are one of my favourite elapids, they look so mean, but stunning at the same time.

Congrats on the snake mate, looking forward to seeing pics of your own, make sure you've got a decent zoom setting on your camera! :p

Well done mate,welcome to the elapid club. Just dont let it nibble on ya cos Necrosis can be a real pain, if ya know what I mean :rolleyes:

exciting .........especially feed time. munch munch:lol:

Very nice! Just waiting untill im old enough then im getting some, has to be one of the top elapid. :D

Congrats, and good choice! Rbb's are very inquisitive and amazing to watch. And so the real addiction begins!!!!

RBB are my favorite Ven, have seen what they can be like when handled regularly and wouldn't mind having one down the track.

Well done mate,welcome to the elapid club. Just dont let it nibble on ya cos Necrosis can be a real pain, if ya know what I mean :rolleyes:

Not speaking from experiance I hope?!
Yeh I have seen similar things but not from Aussie elapid bites, not that I have gone looking for it although now I think I will.
My elapid initiation has been a long time coming I guess. This snake cost me over $600 by the time you factor in the cost of bribes it took to get my wife to agree lol.
So the last thing I intend to do is get to close to the pointy end ;)

I actually got him on Friday, he did little else but hide, then Saturday he was out all day and as day progressed became accoustomed to us approaching enclosure. This morning he let me open the enclosure without hiding to take some pics.

Seems to like climbing.

Cheers for replies and likes :D

A few more pics that my cheap camera finds acceptable.

RBB 012.jpgRBB 005.jpgRBB 016.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Daniel, are they an all black nosed variety, or a brown noser?

Congrats, and good choice! Rbb's are very inquisitive and amazing to watch. And so the real addiction begins!!!!

Nice Daniel, are they an all black nosed variety, or a brown noser?

Eastern all black version. I had a chance to buy a flighty Qld 4yo female. I was going to just because I have been trying to get one for so long but it never happened for a few reasons. However I was always keen on this type. I have emailed the people I brought it from to find out who sold it origninally to hopefully determine locallity, and get another one :)

Ooh I'm so jealous right now.i would love one.a friend of a friend has a tame one that loves being handled.they are such beautiful snakes.

Congratulations mate, I've always been fond of red-bellies.

Just curious with your permit, did SA FPU request that you complete a snake-handling course and gain some sort of first-aid certificate prior to the endorsement?

Congrats Daniel but be aware it's only the beginning, you will want/get more! lol lol.
November12th201141-1.jpg

Congrats on the new red bellie Daniel, very nice.

getarealog very nice mate, how many you got in the pit.. 1 more year and I'm able to get elapids 1st on the list is the the Tiger then one of these bad boys for sure.

Thanks again.

Honestly if I could have a tiger first I would have but that is still a year away after keeping my RBB.

Yes I needed to have a Senior First Aid certificate (being a nurse wasnt enough lol) and needed to do a course. There are a few in Adeliaide but took me two years to organise one.

Never intended to stop at one.
If they are in a big enough space are they less likely to each each other?

Still so much to learn.

Aussie-Pride;getarealog very nice mate, how many you got in the pit..----2 adult pairs, 2.1m square pit.
daniel1234; If they are in a big enough space are they less likely to each each other?----Don't know, 3 eat rats, 1 eats mice, I keep the food up to them so hopefully that won't happen.
Have seen 1 pair mating so wait till around march fingers crossed for babies.

Congratulations mate. well done! I only recently got my first Red Bellied Black snakes a few months back too. It is the best feeling bringing home your first Elapid. they are simply fascinating. Like you I also am hanging out to be able to get myself a Tiger Snake or two. :) Snake keeping is quite an addiction!

Congrats on the new red bellie Daniel, very nice.

getarealog very nice mate, how many you got in the pit.. 1 more year and I'm able to get elapids 1st on the list is the the Tiger then one of these bad boys for sure.

If your still in NSW, you may have to change your list!

Nice one Daniel, I didn't take long to get a colletts after the rbbs, thinking tiger or stephens banded next!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again.

Honestly if I could have a tiger first I would have but that is still a year away after keeping my RBB.

Yes I needed to have a Senior First Aid certificate (being a nurse wasnt enough lol) and needed to do a course. There are a few in Adeliaide but took me two years to organise one.

Never intended to stop at one.
If they are in a big enough space are they less likely to each each other?

Still so much to learn.
Daniel, A tiger!! C'mon. Chappel Islands are sexy, but mate, seriously, Rbb's are the bomb!;);):D:D:D:D

If your still in NSW, you may have to change your list!

Nice one Daniel, I didn't take long to get a colletts after the rbbs, thinking tiger or stephens banded next!

Yeah i just realized i can get the red bellie now and tigers next year, loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back