Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick, have you came across any spiny bandicoots at IR?

Not that I know of M, but I wouldn't know one if I tripped over it mate!

very nice !!!
love all the herps !
scorpion is urodacus macrurus, do you see any centipedes?

Yeah I see a few Richoman, I will take a few pics for you next time.

Great pics Nick, those Chondro's are stunning!

They sure are Craig. Everyone asks why I don't keep Aussie Greens but when I can see them every weekend why bother :)

That's a niiiiiice mulga. How big?

Not real big like the ones I used to find when I lived in the Kimberley but still very solid for it's size. Prob around 6 foot that one Gordo.

this has to be 1 of the best threads i've read for ages !!

I should start one with the pigs that I have been getting for you Mungus!

Some great photos Nick. I like the palm cocatoos and all of the different types of geckos. It is good to see quolls making a comeback up there.

They are still rarely seen in some places however I have a few spots where we can see them every time you go there. I think that there is someone from JCU researching them as there are signs up at all of the roadhouses asking to report sightings. I should really report them lol

Not that I know of M, but I wouldn't know one if I tripped over it mate!

Oh, you would - they look quite different. I saw them couple of times but they took off into the thickest wait-a-while clumps before I got my camera out. A friend of mine saw a mother with baby drinking from a puddle just on the side of the road. Very special treat. They are PNG immigrants, just like chondros and other species at IR. Keep your eyes open for them.

awesome thread ,really enjoyed looking at all your photos from your trip !

Thanks for the info M, we should do a trip there early next year. I had planned to meet John in there at the start of this month but the Wenlock was 7 meters over. It has already dropped to passable levels but John is out of there. Plans never work out in the wet lol. We did see two Fawn Breasted Bower Birds in there when Rexy was up in November though which was pretty special. I have only seen one Red Bellied Pitta in over 30 trips though and did not manage to get a photograph.

I could def use some photography pointersfrom you too ;)

Yes, I see a few. On the last trip I did down near McIlwraith I found one approx 500mm long with an adult Rana in it's mouth. The Rana was so big it could barely lift it's head up. It eventualy made its way up out of the creek and into a thick stand of native bamboo.

Thanks for taking the time to share. Do you ever see any Northern Tree Snakes? And if so, what colour varietals?

This one is from Iron Range photographed on the banks of Claudie River.

i-VggGwRH-M.jpg

Yes, I see a few. On the last trip I did down near McIlwraith I found one approx 500mm long with an adult Rana in it's mouth. The Rana was so big it could barely lift it's head up. It eventualy made its way up out of the creek and into a thick stand of native bamboo.

I don't suppose you have a photo of that ... or any others of NTSs ...?

This one is from Iron Range photographed on the banks of Claudie River.

According to the taglines on photos I've seen, there are definitely Northern Tree Snakes in Iron Range National Park, but at first glance - based on girth and head shape - I'd say that's a blue-phase Common Tree Snake.

According to the taglines on photos I've seen, there are definitely Northern Tree Snakes in Iron Range National Park, but at first glance - based on girth and head shape - I'd say that's a blue-phase Common Tree Snake.

Of course it is. I am sorry, I didn't read your post properly.

nice photos! that death adders eye look too evil

Death adders always look like evil blue tongues to me.:)

Nice shots, Viridis. I saw a documentary on Palm Cockatoos once. I love their call. It sounds like they're saying "hello".

How hard is it to spot chondros? Your photos give the impression that there's one hanging about in every tree! :D

Last edited:
I'm stunned by all the animals you have managed to find!! You realy inspired me to pick up on some more herping lol!!

Fantastic photos, Nick. I remember some of those animals. I would love to get up there again sometime since the Cape is such a special place.

Say hello to Holly.

Regards,
David

What a great collection of photos of a variety of different animals. Love the Emoia skinks too, pity we don't have more Emoia species in Australia.
Am interested to see the undescribed Gehyra being described as a new species, there a lot of ones in Oz currently without a name.

possibly innapropriate. just read the OP. Magic! Burtons LL are one of my favourite encounters anytime anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back