Dan's scrapheap Antaresia hilton

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan40D

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just thought i'd share a few pics of what i've spent the last week of my holidays doing. With my 2 yearling stimsons quickly growing out of their current accomodation, the need arose to build them some more spacious and permanent enclosures.

Goal: Build a cost effective three tier enclosure to house Antaresia. Each enclosure has to have a natural look internally, where ever possible hiding any man made objects, i'm very anal about this aspect, in my aquariums i have to hide filters, heaters etc

Dimensions: Overall is 2100h x 1040l x 620d, each enclosure is 550h x 1000l x 600d internally with a small cupboard at the bottom for storage. The whole lot is in 2 pieces to make manouvering easier

Cost: So far about $90 (excluding heating equip) There is a reason i called this the scrapheap hilton, with the exception of the glass, the glass tracks and a pack of screws the whole lot including the backgrounds has been made of materials that were destined for the tip. I'm a bit of a bower bird, when i see something i think i can use i collect it and store it in the shed rafters, i HATE wasting stuff! All the melamine came from recycled packing cases from work, all the stuff for the backgrounds was also collected from various places. Dad is a joiner by trade so he cut all the melamine on the panel saw and then helped screw them together.

Heating: Each enclosure will be heated with a 40 watt Proherp panel all run off a single habistat pulse proportional thermostat

Lighting: LED strip lighting that i pulled out of old discarded sign at work, not only was it free but it is also very energy efficient in the long run.

Enclosure

enclosures.jpg

DIY rockwall out in the sun drying. This is the first rockwall i have built and i am fairly happy with the result, sure it's not a Stein but still gairly happy for the first try. I used the method described by Rob Porter in Scales and Tails, that is styrofoam on a plywood base with a glue and sand coating, i used a mix of river sand and desert sand to achieve this result.

rockwallpieces.jpg

Ventilation for the enclosure is built into the rear piece which was built on pegboard , many of pieces of styrofaom are elevated off the pegboard to allow for airflow, this then goes in from the inside and forms the rear wall of the enclosure. The large shelf halfway up on the right has the 40w proherp panel attached underneath(out of sight) , the cave on top of the shelf should make a nice cosy hide as the panel has the benefit of heating through the shelf to provide some belly heat.

rockwall.jpg

Rockwall in with hollow log
rockwalllog.jpg

I still have to install the lighting and finish the landscaping, will post a fresh pic when done.

Last edited:
Excellent recycling skills there Dan. That's a cracker of a job, well done.

That is amazing! WOW! Such a g8 job and I love the way it looks!! So when can you make me one please?!?! hahahaha!!!

great looking enclosure. its going to be heavy if you need to move it though

Great looking job, the glue and sand gives a great effect.
Have you considered the problem of urine soaking into the sand? Or even the solids getting behind the foam where you have the foam elevated off the pegboard for ventilation ?

great looking enclosure. its going to be heavy if you need to move it though

It's not to bad Colin, its in 2 parts, the top 2 enclosures and the bottom enclosure and cupboard. My wife and i can move both of the sections quite comfortably.

Great looking job, the glue and sand gives a great effect.
Have you considered the problem of urine soaking into the sand? Or even the solids getting behind the foam where you have the foam elevated off the pegboard for ventilation ?

I used bondcrete for the glue which has water proofing properties with several heavy coats over the finished product, i have some pondite in the shed that i could put over as well, just wasn't keen on the gloss finish that it gives. As for solids, thw background can be removed in about 30 seconds for cleaning if required.

very nice indeed, rock wall looks hell cool

That is amazing! WOW! Such a g8 job and I love the way it looks!! So when can you make me one please?!?! hahahaha!!!

Sweet as Dan,...hangin to see the end result.

Excellent recycling skills there Dan. That's a cracker of a job, well done.

Thanks folks, i will post some pics when happy and they are moved in.

Last edited:
hey mate awesome work, if you dont mind i might take a couple of ideas from your nice piece
of handy work and use them for my next snake pad

It's not to bad Colin, its in 2 parts, the top 2 enclosures and the bottom enclosure and cupboard. My wife and i can move both of the sections quite comfortably.

ah.. great idea :D Ive got a few 3 tier morelia enclosures and they are heavy as hell.. all my others are single units stacked 3 high to make moving encosures much easier when needed..

I've finished installing the lights and landscaping the first enclosure tnight, just have to wait for my boy to shed now so he can move in, then start on the background for the next enclosure :D The plants came from the local chemist, i was walking past and spied out the front on sale for 50 cents a piece, so i bought 20 of them, BARGAIN!

fronton.jpg

leftright.jpg

rightleft.jpg

Last edited:
That looks bloody brilliant, Dan. I'm sure your boy will be very happy in there.

A couple of questions: What are you using for substrate? Does the LED strip run off batteries or the mains? And where will the water bowl go?

Please post pictures when your stimmie moves in - I'd love to see him in there.

That looks great!, How do you get the pieces of background to stay upright? Must admit, Looks awesome! Im in Awe.

Thanks Renenet, i hope he will be happy in there.

That looks bloody brilliant, Dan. I'm sure your boy will be very happy in there.

A couple of questions: What are you using for substrate? Kittys Crumble

Does the LED strip run off batteries or the mains? Runs off the mains via a 12v power pack (no sparky required :)) that was with the lights in the sign, i'll take some pics of the lights tomorrow and post them up.

And where will the water bowl go? Water bowl is behind the log on the left, wasn't in there for the pics.

Please post pictures when your stimmie moves in - I'd love to see him in there. Will do

That looks great!, How do you get the pieces of background to stay upright? Must admit, Looks awesome! Im in Awe.

Thanks. The background is held up by a strategically hidden screw into the side of the enclosure. I made them so that they lock together a bit so they pretty much stay by themselves, but for the sake of 2 screws i'd rather be safe.

Last edited:
To not obstruct the view of your backgrounds, you can install our clear or stainless finger grips to your sliding glass panels. These will significantly reduce the occurance of finger prints and smudges. Less time cleaning, more time appreciating :)

www.virides.com.au/Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back