World's tiniest frogs found in New Guinea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that if there is any place yet to be explored...it is New Guinea...It really seems like a wild unexplored place that could hold tons of new animals that have yet to be discovered by westerners...If I was on an expedition to find new species I would go to either New Guinea or the Amazon.

West Papua, formally Irian Jaya is the hottest place for new species to be discovered. A friend of mine works for Conservation International in WP, he described a swag of new species of frogs in the last 2 years.

West Papua, formally Irian Jaya is the hottest place for new species to be discovered. A friend of mine works for Conservation International in WP, he described a swag of new species of frogs in the last 2 years.

How well explored are the rainforests here in Australia, Michael? Do you think there are many species left to be discovered?

Perhaps there are tones on invertebrates to be discovered but certainly not vertebrates. What we will see in the future is splitting species into two, e.g. the newly discovered Mayola frog Litoria mayola, which was always thought to be L. serrata or the new species of Mixophyes genus. The chances of discovering something monumentally different are slim.

Papua is the ducks nuts for any animals
Loads of virtually unexplored country there because of little things like tribal warfare etc
We were left posted in the jungle by 2 good guides who suddenly were called away to fight something
That is not really pleasant because the locals can get a bit hot headed at times
Ive seen things in village markets there that I still have no idea what they were
Its languages also change dramatically in only a few kilometres so communication can be a problem
Fishing is awesome but some big bities swim in most of the rivers
Waterfalls etc are everywhere and mountains are wet and big

But a wonderful place

Papua is the ducks nuts for any animals
Loads of virtually unexplored country there because of little things like tribal warfare etc
We were left posted in the jungle by 2 good guides who suddenly were called away to fight something
That is not really pleasant because the locals can get a bit hot headed at times
Ive seen things in village markets there that I still have no idea what they were
Its languages also change dramatically in only a few kilometres so communication can be a problem
Fishing is awesome but some big bities swim in most of the rivers
Waterfalls etc are everywhere and mountains are wet and big

But a wonderful place

Are you talking about Papua New Guinea or West Papua

I agree that if you were looking to find new animals...the entire island would be the place to go... Some sections of the Amazon also probably hold new discoveries.

We were in West Papua but same holds true for the Highlands in PNG as well
Sumatra Borneo Papua.. They are the last frontiers I think but especially Papua
I walked out over the edge of a cliff there
Guide was rolling on the ground in laughter as he stopped me when I followed his lead
Ground felt a bit spongy but not too bad
He opened up a hole and nothing below us for a looooong way down
We were standing on vegetation caught in tree branches

Most of the people are great once you get away from the coast
Everything is so alive its like being on another planet

Amazon really pales into insignificance beside it mainly because whites have influenced far too much there
Amazon is flat with really only one ecosystem
Papua has little flat ground and many ecosystems only a few miles apart
Head of the Orinoco may still hold many secrets though

I walked out over the edge of a cliff there
Guide was rolling on the ground in laughter as he stopped me when I followed his lead
Ground felt a bit spongy but not too bad
He opened up a hole and nothing below us for a looooong way down
We were standing on vegetation caught in tree branches

Yeeeeesh. I laughed, but I think my stomach might have flipped a touch.

Longqi; Thats got to be one of those experiences you will remember for the rest of your life and tell the grand kids about!!
Scary stuff!
Like how the locals just laughed kinda like "It's cool... happens all the time." :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back