Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooly505

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay I have loooked everywere pet shops and breeders all that kind of stuff. Here If you know and breeder any petshop Please tell me. NOTE: wont buy unless breeder or petshop have a reptile licence

They go for around 5k each. I dont think you will find one in a pet shop

I have a level 1. cant afford a class 2.
I live in NSW!!!

moz-screenshot.png
this is what it looks like plz don't mistake it for a normal chameleon.

Sorry image wont work just search up chameleon gecko on images if you want know what it really looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
deb king was selling some juvies about a month ago for 3 for $3000 thou i aint to sure if there is any left

gday and welcome to APS. Beautiful looking gecko there, a class 2 license is a very cheap part of reptile keeping; usually the extra care and money spent on class 2 reptiles can be expensive. If you can`t afford the class 2 license, it may be a good idea to just stick to the common geckos and beardies. Lol nothing wrong with dreaming big though; my nights are full of dreams of me walking through my personal reptile park!!! Or being covered and surrounded by iguanas and chameleons!!:D
p.s. not to mention the extra experience you need for a class 2 license- but good luck with everything mate!! :)

Besides all that, Carphos are one of the most difficult geckos to keep. Only a handful of experienced keepers have them and breed them.

I agree with Michael. Regardless of the licence required and price, these geckos are only with a handful of experienced keepers for a reason.

If you can't afford a class 2 licence, then you definitely won't be able to afford the set up required for a Chameleon Gecko, let alone the gecko itself...

Also, where ever you guys are pulling these prices from ($3-5k per gecko), they do not go for that much at all and you can pick one up for about $1k - however, the waiting list for these gecko's is more of a problem than the cost. There was a trio (adult pair + 1 hatchie) for sale the other week for $3k all up.

From my understanding these geckos are no harder than any other reptile to keep as long as u provide the conditions they need, I have numerous friends who keep and breed this species and they shouldnt be made out to be a unicorn as a few people have in this thread we should be encouraging people not putting people off these sort of animals

No one is discouraging, we are just pointing out some facts that the OP is obviously not aware of. What you're saying is partially true but that applies to all captive animals - if you have the right set up / conditions and you know what you're doing, it's easy. Did Cooly give the impression he falls into this category?
Carphos are not like other geckos, ask your many friends who keep them. I know a number of people who keep them, I kept them myself, so I am not talking from my keyboard.

Last edited:
Basssman the OP can't even afford a C2 licence which costs $60-80 from memory. He has obviously seen a picture of these geckos and decided to go on the hunt to find them.

I don't see anything wrong with the info given, and if they are just as easy to keep as any other reptile, why aren't they more widely available? I too know of a couple of breeders but the list is pretty long...

These geckos are more commonly kept than it's made out they are very productive little guys and i think you will find there will be quiet a few available ATM and in the near future as alot of keepers are having great success due to them being a fairly easy species to keep and breed if you have half a brain,

I'm not having a dig at anyone in particular just my opinion of what experience I've had with this species

Cheers sam

I don't atm Michael but I have numerous close friends who do and who have had great success this season with them. I have spent lots of time observing these animals and there captive conditions and any capable reptile keeper could keep and breed them pretty easily

I agree it doesn't sound like Cooly is ready for a Chameleon gecko..... I have been keeping and breeding tropical/rainforest animals for many years now.... If I hadn't have had experience firstly with Boyd's, Angleheads, Prickly forest skinks and Leaftails then I probably would have made a few mistakes when I got my first Chameleons a few years ago.... I have had a lot of enjoyment out of watching these lil guys grow... And this season I have had awesome success with breeding them..... My 2nd clutch has hatched recently, a 3rd clutch is incubating and my girl has two cute lil white eggs growing inside her again :). I have found that once you establish a good breeding pair there is no stopping them :)..... They are a spectacular gecko and will be a lot more readily available in future years now that more and more people are starting to understand their husbandry needs..... It was not that many years ago that Boyd's had the same stigma attached to hem... They were thought to be a high maintenance animal, hence the high price they used to be..... Now they are readily available for very reasonable prices.... The Chameleons are currently selling for $1000 a hatchy.....a beautiful addition to your collection :)

Sam, you say there are quite a few available? I'm yet to see any advertised apart from the trio I mentioned earlier. Advertised being the key word here...

Where are they being advertised? If they are still being sold among friends etc. then I stand by my original statement of them not being readily available due to not many people keeping them.

If your friends have had great success with them this season, then that doesn't suggest they much really. How long have they had them for and how long have they been either trying to breed or successfully bred them?

I'm not saying that these geckos are unkeepable, as I said, I know of a couple of successful breeders and all it takes is the correct set up - if your friends are so successful with them, why aren't they advertising..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back