Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fessy4

Not so new Member
Reaction score
You can skip this paragraph if you don't really care about my babbling :D

some of you might have seen me around the forums talking about jungle pythons, and how keen i am on them. Well tonight i have had sort of an 'epiphany' lets call it, and im thinking i might want a different snake. I'm thinking maybe Children’s Python (Antaresia childreni), Stimson’s Python (Antaresia stimsonsi), Centralian Carpet Python (Morelia bredli) or Inland Carpet Python (Morelia spilota metcalfei), now coming from a mind set of "no i want a jungle python and i dont care what it takes" to branching out to this many breeds of snakes is a bit strange, and im not gonna lie, its because i have heard that these breeds are usually a lot more less temperamental, and grow accustomed to handling during there older ages and this is the sorta snake im looking for :) now i have heard people say to me, a snake is not a toy its not for handling ect ect ect, but I just want to be able to pick up MY pet snake, without it having a hissy fit at me, so any way the main reason for this post is....

Do you know of any QLD (preferably gold coast/Brisbane) snake breeders that are breeding, childrens, stimsons, murray darling or bredli in the new season ( Early 2012)?

I know that paramount pythons do childrens, and im pretty sure my local pet store does one of those but im not 100% sure about that. But a breeder might be better/cheaper.

Thanks in advance
Joe

all of those above are a good choice, but be aware that you are just as likely to get a snappy jungle as you are any of your above list, and vce versa- believe it or not there are some tame jungles out there.

should be heaps of ants, md's and bredli around next season. i will have a few clutches of childrens ;) if you keep your eye on the for sale threads from around december im sure you'll find something that catches your eye.

Really?! but you here so often about how aggressive they are, and you hardly ever here about children's pythons and stuff, maybe thats just me not listening properly haha, i have just heard from so many sources that they just dont like being held at all, but if you really think so... mabey ill just get one and see what happens, haha i dont know, i have changed my mind so many times its so annoying, but yeah, i will keep my eye out on the sales thread, thanks for the info.

Also might i add, i have been looking at this, as a sort of, guide for this afternoon, http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article%20PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf

I guess everyone experiences them different, Im buying my first python from the guy who wrote that article, I wanted a darwin but took his advice and im now getting a bredli (and couldn't be any happier). Everyone will have a different opinion and all snakes have there own personalities, remeber don't believe everything people tell you on the net, if you want a jungle, get a jungle :).

A wise man told me: Snakes are a long term commitment, so dont get something you think is average just because someone has told you the beautiful snake you love is aggresive, no point getting an animal that lives 20 to 30 years that you arent absolutley inlove with.

yeah no, your right, i have heard just as many stories saying that there the nicest snakes as i have heard there the most aggressive, im just gonna buy it young, and hopefully it will get used to me, thanks guys :)

would like to know if there are any QLD breeders for water pythons and olive pythons?

@fessy, interesting, I had just the same thoughts as you and started to look for a childrens / Stimsons etc...

after handling a few of those, I got a Stimsons yesterday who stricked, latched on and wouldn't let go!

I'm still looking for a breeder in/around Brisbane, any tips anyone? cheers.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with jungles at all, we've only got 4 in the house, but 3 are amoungst the calmest snakes we own, the other is not a handler - every animal is different. Just get it young and handle it plenty and I'd be surprised if you didn't end up with a calm snake (always exceptions though...).

The first snake that ever struck and wrapped me was a children's (how lucky is that! Haha) and I have 2 adult jungles that have never even looked at me sideways. My jungle hatchies have been a bit snappy but are strong to grow out of it.

I have Jungles, Diamonds, Stimsons and had a BTS. All have their own personalities. Funnily enough, one of my stimsons is the most aggressive.
One of my Jungles is tempramental and the another loves being handled.
Mind you I only get them out and hold them whilst I'm cleaning their cages (or when I'm lucky, my wife is cleaning them :))
Like others have mentioned, get what you like the look of and have the room for as it's a long term pet. Anything you buy could end up being nice or nasty (unless you buy an older snake which is already fine with being handled)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back