Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my understanding these geckos are no harder than any other reptile to keep as long as u provide the conditions they need, I have numerous friends who keep and breed this species and they shouldnt be made out to be a unicorn as a few people have in this thread we should be encouraging people not putting people off these sort of animals

Definately agree with Sam, any keeper with half a brain that can put in to practice the research they do on the species can keep them. keepers down here in SEQLD keep and breed them with ease.
People and breeders shouldn't be putting off interested herpers from keeping these great geckos thats for sure,as i know this season there have been multiples bred.
so i would be anticipating them to be more readily available now, so im sure the breeders out there wont want people to be discouraged.
if people are willing to invest money into animals then i'm sure they are willing to do the research to keep the animals in good health and in the proper environment. much the way gtp's have gone these days. alot of people keep them easily with minimal experience.
the industry spans way past APS's walls so saying you never see or hear of them for sale is also rubbish, they are available if you know where to look or who to ask or (one again) if you do your research!
they are a species with specific needs, ill definitely agree with that,but that's much like alot of reptiles kept in the industry. so my advice would be to do the research on the species find the breeders or keepers and ask for advice.
after all, we all started somewhere and we all needed help to get more involved in the herp world and with more interesting species.

Lions can be kept fine in the correct conditions too...

issue 4 of our journal will have the most comprehensive information on the husbandry of this species published. at present there is very little information available.

rob porter's info on them can be found here Chameleon Gecko - Live Foods

very little attention should be given to people's views that have never kept them. they are a species for experienced keepers who can provide the correct housing and environment for them.

Reptiles Australasia

The Chameleons are currently selling for $1000 a hatchy.....a beautiful addition to your collection :)

I'm glad i didnt buy a pair 6 months ago when I was enquiring (not through you deb) The price I was given was 5k each or a sexed pair for 15k[/QUOTE]

Someone was more then likely pulling your pudding as they have never ever been that price for those keen on the species. There have been quite a few keepers that have kept them without any trouble what so ever unlike Neil Simpson is implying however it has only been in recent years that they have been bred regulary by a few keen keepers of the species like Deb and Rob.

I know that the lowland form are a lot hardier in captivity than the animals from the Tablelands as Michael commented. Although they are a tropical species, I know for a fact that wild animals on the Tablelands are actively out feeding in temps under 15 degs cel so that may explain why the southerners have better luck breeding them.

As with most species that were not readily available on permit. More people have been keeping them than what most realise however as I stated, keepers are having a lot more sucess now.

I reckon they are like Chondros, in 5 years time many people will be able to keep and breed them if they have a basic understanding of thier needs. We just needed a few keepers like Rob and Deb to make multi gen captives available for the rest of us to enjoy! Good work Deb :)

Michael,
In regards to the N. galgajuga, nobody has them on permit which is a shame as I would love to keep them and also my other favouritve little geckos, N. eboracensis.

I really wish that these little endemics were available in captivity as I reckon they would breed like flies in captivity as they are in plagues in their natural habitat as you well know. Great pics too mate!

The N. galajuga are interesting from an ecological point of view. They share habitat with ring-tails and Gehyra in the lower parts of the mountains but they are the sole occupants of the high sections. I have seen them all the way up the peak of one of the mountains. There is no habitat partitioning amongst the 3 species in one section but there is in another. I suspect, being smaller, they find suitable prey way up the hill (spiders, etc), whilst the large and more veracious ring-tails rely on larger insects that fly near the ground and amongst the vegetation surrounding the mountains.
Nick, have seen any Gehyra higher up? I haven't and I probably never will ..... getting bit old for that sort of climbing at night. lol

I have been right to the top quite a few times Micheal and I have only ever seen the little Nactus!

@ viridis, you must read deb64's posts and robs notes, both say you need to be an experienced keeper for this species.

do you have any experience with the lowland populations? any experience keeping the species at all?

i doubt any are in captivity, or ever have been, of the lowland populations ( unless of course, they have been unscrupulously laundered into the system ). all animals in captivity originated from those collected on scientific permit from near kuranda.

it would be great if those other than rob breeding them in southern queensland would share details of their breeding results. there is so much that private herpetoculturists can contribute to the overall knowledge of this and other species.

it is quite apparent that the cooler climates of europe and the southern half of australia are far better for keeping this species, and an air-conditioner would be essential in the tropics.

Last edited:
This is a lowland Carpho with regenerated tail.

i-scXZ64F-L.jpg

i-wcWpwxq-L.jpg

Don't want to get infracted...........

Last edited:
That is like saying that every Chondro in Australia came from Bredl's Aussies in the 80's:shock:

Hmmmm, I always thought they all came that non-breeding pair of Graeme Gow's :shock::D:lol:

I'm glad i didnt buy a pair 6 months ago when I was enquiring (not through you deb) The price I was given was 5k each or a sexed pair for 15k

Someone was more then likely pulling your pudding as they have never ever been that price for those keen on the species.

It was a serious quote mate. From a breeder on this site.

Don't want to get infracted...........

Last edited:
This has been a really interesting thread, thanks for the info so far from people keeping and breeding these lovely animals! They are on my list, a fair way into the future :) Your pics are stunning, as usual Michael.

The repeated revisionism of the OP is stupid tho. I wish people wouldn't try and rewrite history and deny the only logical interpretation of their words. But I'm glad they made this thread all the same :)

it would be great if those other than rob breeding them in southern queensland would share details of their breeding results. there is so much that private herpetoculturists can contribute to the overall knowledge of this and other species.

it is quite apparent that the cooler climates of europe and the southern half of australia are far better for keeping this species, and an air-conditioner would be essential in the tropics.

I was lucky enough to see one of robs hatchies
They adults are spectacular but they do look wonderful when so small

In regard to price, it's the age old thing. They are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. I think $1000 is cheap, if not too cheap for such an interesting, not very common species that has quite specific care requirement and long incubation periods. I believe they are one of the more desired geckos worldwide, for $1000 only? It sounds too good to be true.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be looking forward to reading the first published, comprehensive captive care guide on this amazing species, images included. Just another reason to subscribe to the Reptiles Australasia journal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back