rats racks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakewise84

Reaction score
hey every one. im thinking about building a rat rack and would like to see what other people have done, as i know rats like to chew through wood and was thinking of using tubs but dont know how to do the tops for ventilation. so if any one could help with ideas and pics to show would be a great help.

thanks all

Heres my set up.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 162
Greenmad, what do you use for food in that set up? Do you just have bowls? Mine is similar but I have to put the food on top which restricts ventilation during the warmer months

how do you find the stability on that setup? does it have bracing at the back or sides? we are looking at expanding our racks and getting bigger tubs

I simply made a wooden rack to put URS large tubs on...... works well...... there are heaps of great home made rat systems...... but there are also heaps of disasters..... cheap is definetely not cheerful...... when keeping rats in relatively confined spaces requires thought..... they will chew & wreck water bottles very quickly if they can get to them & find any weak point in any tubs & or feed hopper designs......... either know what you are doing or go with some of the purpose built tubs or you may find that you have to start again after wasting money on a failed attempt.... like I did lol......

Attachments

• DSCF0667.jpg
    DSCF0667.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF0652.jpg
    DSCF0652.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0645.jpg
    DSCF0645.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 94
I simply made a wooden rack to put URS large tubs on...... works well...... there are heaps of great home made rat systems...... but there are also heaps of disasters..... cheap is definetely not cheerful...... when keeping rats in relatively confined spaces requires thought..... they will chew & wreck water bottles very quickly if they can get to them & find any weak point in any tubs & or feed hopper designs......... either know what you are doing or go with some of the purpose built tubs or you may find that you have to start again after wasting money on a failed attempt.... like I did lol......
with your setup have u found any wild mice taking the food ?
i used wire mesh for my food hoppers , because the mesh is on the inside of the lid cutout there is nothing for them to chew . i have been running the same setup for close on 2 years without any issues .

Attachments

• rat basket.jpg
    rat basket.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
l took another another direction in keeping rats and mice, a lot more labour intensive but the results speak for them selves, 220 litre tubs from bunnings ($60.00) fence mesh for a mezzanine floor and (6) three litre beetroot/pineapple tins for nesting hides.
.......solar 17 (Baden)
6491675185_ddff1191d1.jpg

baden that rat in the front of the pic is huge! does she have large litters?

with your setup have u found any wild mice taking the food ?
i used wire mesh for my food hoppers , because the mesh is on the inside of the lid cutout there is nothing for them to chew . i have been running the same setup for close on 2 years without any issues .

Poison !!!!!! & there is zero unwanteds......

so baden how do i go about getting some good breeder rats that have large litters.. my record is 12 in a litter. id take 18 any day!!

Bunnings is your friend :) I was in there this morning

They have lots of different ready to assemble shelving, etc, that could be used for 4 - 6 tubs

Bunnings mesh wire is bl...dy expensive :( must be gold plated

thats a good question

when i was breeding rats when i was younger they use to have 22 in a litter and my genie pigs were having 3-8 in a litter

18 -/+.
.......Baden
how duz the mother go with so many babys ?

Bunnings is your friend :) I was in there this morning

They have lots of different ready to assemble shelving, etc, that could be used for 4 - 6 tubs

Bunnings mesh wire is bl...dy expensive :( must be gold plated
yeah anything mesh related with bunnings is $$$$ .
u ise metal shlefs for my tubs [ i got the shelfs for free ]

i like building most of my reptile stuff. back then i had white female rats the where huge one ended up bigger then the male i had. but i guess the genes have changes since then. would be 15 years now.

for mesh, head to any place that sells it by the metre. (home hardware etc)
I got enough 10mm x 10mm square mesh to do 15 tub rack for $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back