Did you tell your real estate about your "pet"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

004dam

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Wondering if people bother to declare there reptiles to the real estates? I would with snakes but with turtles or lizard I dont think I would bother. But maybe that's not such a good idea. I always thought if they were silent and in a cage/tank there not really a household pet that needing declaring?

If it lives in a tank, i wouldn't bother, I wouldn't ask for reptiles or fish, but dogs, birds and cats yes as they can destroy things and annoy the neighbours, and massive reptiles also like a crock or something.

But that is just my personal opinion, I own a unit, i would not care if some tenants had small reptiles or fish.

from personal experience, if its tiny, they dont seem to care. But anything bigger than a goldfish or a mouse, they like to know. I was in trouble for owning a guinea pig once :(
My advice is ask first. And if they say "no", then just get a trust worthy friend or family member to baby sit them at their place when its rent inspection day. After all, if its in a cage, what damage can it do to the property.
p.s. i had a rat in a cage and she reached out the bars and grabbed the curtin one night. How a single rat can distroy a set of lounge room curtins is beyond me! Whoopsie!! ;)

Last place we rented, it was direct to landlord transaction. He was a very nice guy and decided to allow us to rent the place ( a really nice place too ). AFTER he said OK THEN he asked about pets, bad habits, unwanted hill billy cousins who camp out outside, etc and then I told him emphasizing the enclosure factor. But he still said yes. And he had no problems with us and we had no problems with him.
When it came time to leave, and this is where it gets interesting, we were able to give him seen weeks notice and promised all co operation. The co operation consisted of allowing a "to Let" sign hang from the front and having one(1) very nice couple come through. It took the couple about three quarters of an hour - fifteen minutes looking at the flat and 30 minutes talking about snakes ;). And I talked up the landlord. They took the flat we moved out on the Saturday, they moved in on the Sunday and we had our full bond on the Monday. Can't do much better than that.

The only reason I ask is we moved house from a private lease where the owners didn't care what pets we had. Now we are renting through a real estate. I have a 4foot tank with two turtles and a heap of fish etc etc which I wont bother the real estate with as its only a fish tank essentially . But now we have settled in a bit I want to finally get my beardie!

I had an inspection a month or so ago, I was out at the time, later that arvo I got a call from the real estate and they asked, i kid you not "do you know there's 2 big lizards in the apartment?". Long story short They were only concerned they'd get out and poo on the carpet and that i had a licence to keep them

nope we never told the realestate as they let us keep 3 dogsso knew they would never care funny though as im sure they never go in the herp room or in the backyard when the come to do an inspection.

yeah i was honest, but im way out west and its heaps different out here than in the areas closer to Sydney or major city's, i moved out bush when i got into snakes for the simple fact that city real estates are tools for at least 90% of the time
when it comes to snakes/reps/animals,also,things are different now out here, there's good honest work if you really want to work so no one can really claim there's no work out bush cause it here if ya really look so to avoid hassles i moved,
it worked cause the land lord just ok'd my portable herp room and outdoor enclosures:)
i scored a 3 bedrooms place with ducted AC, 4 acres with solar and gas for 200pw and i can do pretty much what i want im happy i hope you all get what you need/want.

Nato

After three years at my place I asked if I could keep "an animal in an enclosure". At first they said no, and when I pushed it they asked what kind of animal I intended to keep because they'd had "problems with reptiles before". Of all the animals! I put together a care sheet on Stimson's python hatchlings and sent it through to them, but never got a response. I got the animal anyway. They never knew it was there despite conducting a condition inspection and two open for inspections during my remaining stay.

I now rent privately. The landlords know about my Stimson's python and approve of her.

I had an inspection a month or so ago, I was out at the time, later that arvo I got a call from the real estate and they asked, i kid you not "do you know there's 2 big lizards in the apartment?".

"Really? How did they get there?"

I asked the landlord after I had signed the lease agreement (so they couldn't deny us the house, ha ha!). I don't like being dishonest with people, and was really worried that the landlord would find out I had snakes and kick me and my housemates out, which is why I asked. I figured I could keep a click-clack hidden (I was getting a hatchie, no matter what!), but would have trouble hiding an adult carpet.
Fortunately I was allowed =) so now I'm working on a kick-a$$ enclosure for display!!

The reason landlords say "no pets" is to prevent damage (scratches, stains, etc) to their property, which is understandable. However, if you kept an animal that is in a confined area (e.g. rep in tank), is never let out without supervision, and can't really cause damage to the house, there should be much of a problem.
If you ask your landlord to keep reptiles, emphasise this fact, promise to lock all cages (not a bad idea regardless), and offer to talk about any other conditions they may have. With a lizard there might be a slight risk of scratches to the floor, but this is easily combated by putting a rug on the floor, or letting the animal play outside.

Good luck with the real estate agent and landlord, I hope you're allowed to keep reps. Look at it this way; if you don't ask, you'll be hiding the animals, right? If you ask and they say yes, woo! No problem! If they say no, you'll be hiding them like you originally intended, so it doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

We have only declared our two malamutes and the cat as we have always done in the past.

We have a BHP and a gecko which we have never declared (and fish). As far as I see it they are part of the furniture as they do not cause any damage to the property as a cat and dog can do. We have done this with three Real Estates and we have never had an issue with it.

First inspection in the new house is on the 31st of this month so we will see how we go.. LOL.

We told the real estate and owner about the cat but not our other animals. Both have come around multiple times for inspection and the owner didn't care and the property manager only cared that we had the correct licence, besides that she was happy with them.

"Really? How did they get there?"

landlords by law have a set of keys to every property and they legally do routine inspections all they need to do is give you 2 weeks notice, you can ring and request another time.

We rent privately and we get on really well with the owners so I was shocked to find out my partner asked them about a snake for a surprise birthday present for me a few months back and she got a definite NO REPTILES..... it's not always fair but I prefer a roof over my head thing is do your research and check the legalities

We have just been through this with ours, asked when we signed up and they said "not a problem as they are in enclosures. Then after an inspection we got a letter telling us that they were not approved and had to get rid of them. Turned out owners thought they were running free or something and not in enclosures. All good now. This was the thread at the time - http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/bloody-landlords-177011/

I've actually never had a problem declaring a pet snake to a landlord, I've always assumed that since it's in an enclosure, it's not going to do any kind of damage to the property. Cats on the other hand, try renting in Sydney and finding a real estate that allows a cat! So far I've only had luck getting that one approved by renting through private landlords.

I haven't told mine and they haven't inspected the place since I moved in May 2010...

I'm applying for a housing co-op cause I can't afford to pay nearly 400 per week (imagine how many snakes I could get in a year for that! Not that I plan to get any more). I'm tossing up whether to put it on the application or not though...?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

A friend works in realestate, the best way to present applications with animals is signed letters from any previous houses you have rented stating the animals caused no distruction, if you have dogs and old nice neighbours getting them to do the same saying they didnt bark/ cause a disterbance will sway them to allow it as theres a track record with the said animal. Always helps to be on the realestates good side. (or get them to do it befor you annoy them lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back