Sensible stray cat solution

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he kinda implies he is killing them himself when he talks about tanning the skins lol

Ok you are right, cruel is the wrong adjective, how about just morally wrong?

Maybe, but then again allowing your cat to roam freely is also wrong.

Maybe, but then again allowing your cat to roam freely is also wrong.

Yes, It is. But it is not the cats fault, the problem lies with the owner.

I feel that there needs to be a happy medium found in this situation. As suggested before, I think that there should be large fines for the owners of these animals, especially if caught outside after dark

This is always one of those issues that divide the reptile community....

It depends on which animal people emphatise with.

Cat people will say
Killing roaming cats is wrong and cruel as they are cat people.... yet most would take a shovel to a snake and go ick at bluetoungues

Same as

Reptile people will say
Taking out cats is good as they kill reptiles and native wildlife... while ohh and ahh if a tiger snake or an EB is found and would rescue and relocate little bluetoungues

I happen to like both cats and reptiles (and keep both), so to me this bloke going around (supposedly) killing his neighbours cats is well a total knob jockey..

If anone who owns a cat reading this thread saw this posted on their local noticeboard (besides being outraged), would you lock your cat up 24/7? Or would you assume they are bluffing and ignore letting the cat wander at will?

If anone who owns a cat reading this thread saw this posted on their local noticeboard (besides being outraged), would you lock your cat up 24/7? Or would you assume they are bluffing and ignore letting the cat wander at will?

Lock it up mate... well mine's an indoor cat anyway. That's what responsible cat owners do.

On the last cat thread we had a member on here boasting bout trapping and killing cats in his neighbourhood, he also happens to be Victorian. Wonder if it's the same bloke?

Last edited:

I lock my cats up 24/7 anyway, any responsible owner does the same.

Protecting wildlife is the 2nd reason I do this, the first and foremost is I love my pets and letting the roam the streets is just asking for them to be killed or injured, cats get run over or killed by sadistic maggots all the time, and most of the killing occurs for fun, not to protect wildlife

My cat is in door only. Yes he is locked up 24/7 and because he has been this way since he was a kitten he doesn't know any different. He has no desire to be outside and doesn't like being out there; I took him outside once when I was sitting my my front lawn, I put him on the grass and he bolted back inside.
I love my cat and I love reptiles, this is the best thing for him and the wildlife

Would any irresponsable cat owners take note do you think?

An irresponsible owner would not, no.

This however does not mean that the cat should die. If the owner is irresponsible then the cat should be re-homed, not killed

Depends how "irresponsible" they are...

The majority of cat owners out there really love their cats but don't care about natives so they let them roam at night. These people will keep their cats in til they think it's safe to let them out again.

Then there are those who won't really care either way... if the cat disappears then they just buy the little screaming brat a new one on the weekend.

An irresponsible owner would not, no.

This however does not mean that the cat should die. If the owner is irresponsible then the cat should be re-homed, not killed

Agreed. So really the guy who put the post up is only really going to get the educated responsible owners to do something about it.
I honestly do not believe the guy was going to go through with the threats re death, why would he/she? why bother posting and risk getting caught than doing it anyway without the notice? This person was trying to scare people into becoming responsible (that is what I belive and want to)

Its just not as cut and dried as all that. Scenario: Family with children own pet cat. Cat is normally locked up but most children will forget to shut doors many times in thier life. Cat gets out into vigilantes garden. Cat is killed. Children are heartbroken. If the cat went to the pound first then the children would have the chance to learn the lesson rather than assume that owning animals in general is just too sad and give up completely. Why does he have the right to choose which pet breeds live or die? It shouldn't be up to an individual's opinion.

He / she may not even be killing the cats!!

i think they have come up with an excellent scare tactic, we have loads of cats roaming our streets and i personally am not a cat person but if they are kept out of mischief then great. They do cause alot of havoc when they are left to roam freely as are dogs i will admit, i don't think any pet should roam the street. i would fully expect someone to complain if my dog got out and disturbed someones sleep all night or whatever damage, i would also apologise profusely and offer to rectify.

I think the biggest problem is that people have come to think that cats naturally do things like roam the streets and so forth. I put to you my workmate, she owns a cat and has been asked by her neighbours to keep it under control, she did not. The street members called council and she was sent a letter, to which she got angry and took it up with her neighbour and was fuming the next day at work which is why i know what went on lol. I asked her "then what are you going to do, are you gunna keep him inside or something?" to which replied "NO hell no it's a cat, its what they do'

Its just not as cut and dried as all that. Scenario: Family with children own pet cat. Cat is normally locked up but most children will forget to shut doors many times in thier life. Cat gets out into vigilantes garden. Cat is killed. Children are heartbroken. If the cat went to the pound first then the children would have the chance to learn the lesson rather than assume that owning animals in general is just too sad and give up completely. Why does he have the right to choose which pet breeds live or die? It shouldn't be up to an individual's opinion.

Well Said!!!!!!!!!

i think losing their beloved pet however upsetting would also teach a lesson, probably one they will take a lot more notice of because they won't have their cat at all any more..

he isn't deciding which pets live or die, he has decided that animals feral to his property will be humanely destroy, i think that's more than fair its not as if he is driving around the neighbourhood looking for cats to kill or anything as ridiculous as that, it is the cat owner who is deciding whether their pet lives or dies by allowing it to roam, inside = no death, outside = possible death, it's pretty simple..

What he is doing is cruel and Illegal, yes killing a cat for no reason no matter how humane is cruel.
What he should be doing is taking the cats to the pound, the owner will then have to pay to get them back or the cats at least will have some chance of being re-homed, either way he is still making a difference without having to kill an innocent animal.

his reason as said is he likes the native wildlife in his garden and the cats are ruining that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back