Usa ban

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longqi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Date: January 17, 2012

Valerie Fellows (FWS) 703-358 2285

Salazar Announces Ban on Importation and Interstate Transportation of Four
Giant Snakes that Threaten Everglades

WASHINGTON, DC – The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has finalized a rule
that would ban the importation and interstate transportation of four
nonnative constrictor snakes that threaten the Everglades and other
sensitive ecosystems across the United States, Secretary of the Interior
Ken Salazar announced today.

The final rule – which incorporates public comments, economic analysis,
and environmental assessment – lists the Burmese python, the yellow
anaconda, and the northern and southern African pythons as injurious
wildlife under the Lacey Act in order to restrict their spread in the wild
in the United States. It is expected to publish in the Federal Register in
the coming days.

“Thanks to the work of our scientists, Senator Bill Nelson, and others,
there is a large and growing understanding of the real and immediate
threat that the Burmese python and other invasive snakes pose to the
Everglades and other ecosystems in the United States,” Salazar said. “The
Burmese python has already gained a foothold in the Florida Everglades,
and we must do all we can to battle its spread and to prevent further
human contributions of invasive snakes that cause economic and
environmental damage.”

The four species were assessed by the U.S. Geological Survey as having a
high risk of establishing populations and spreading to other geographic
areas in that agency’s 2009 report, Giant Constrictors: Biological and
Management Profiles and an Establishment Risk Assessment for Large Species
of Pythons, Anacondas, and the Boa Constrictor.

Sixty days after publication of the final rule in the Federal Register,
interstate transport and importation of live individuals, gametes, viable
eggs, or hybrids of the Burmese python, northern and southern African
pythons and yellow anaconda into the United States will be prohibited.
None of these species is native to the United States.

“Burmese pythons have already caused substantial harm in Florida,” said
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe. “By taking this action
today, we will help prevent further harm from these large constrictor
snakes to native wildlife, especially in habitats that can support
constrictor snake populations across the southern United States and in
U.S. territories.”

Ashe said the Service will continue to consider listing as injurious the
five other species of nonnative snakes that the agency also proposed in
2010 – the reticulated python, boa constrictor, DeSchauensee’s anaconda,
green anaconda and Beni anaconda.

Most people who own any of these four species will not be affected. Those
who own any of these four species of snakes will be allowed to keep them
if allowed by state law. However, they cannot take, send, or sell them
across state lines. Those who wish to export these species may do so from
a designated port within their state after acquiring appropriate permits
from the Service.

The Burmese python has established breeding populations in South Florida,
including the Everglades, that have caused significant damage to wildlife
and that continue to pose a great risk to many native species, including
threatened and endangered species. Burmese pythons on North Key Largo have
killed and eaten highly endangered Key Largo wood rats, and other pythons
preyed on endangered wood storks.

In the Everglades alone, state and federal agencies have spent millions of
dollars addressing threats posed by pythons – an amount far less than is
needed to combat their spread. If these species spread to other areas,
state and federal agencies in these areas could be forced to spend more
money for control and containment purposes.

Interior and its partners, including the Florida Fish and Wildlife
Conservation Commission (FWC), South Florida Water Management District,
and others are committed to controlling the spread of Burmese pythons and
other large nonnative constrictors. For example, FWC recently implemented
the use of a “snake sniffing” dog to help in its efforts to find and
eradicate large constrictor snakes. This dog was present at the
Secretary’s announcement today, along with a 13-foot-long Burmese python.

Under the injurious wildlife provisions of the Lacey Act, the Department
of the Interior is authorized to regulate the importation and interstate
transport of wildlife species determined to be injurious to humans, the
interests of agriculture, horticulture, forestry, or to wildlife or the
wildlife resources of the United States.

For more information on injurious wildlife and efforts to list the four
species of snakes as injurious under the Lacey Act, please visit:
http://www.fws.gov/invasives/news.html.

###

lol thanks for the post longqi; looks like they are finally shutting the gate after the horse has bolted!! But good news still, the Everglades look a stunning place and we all know how delicate these ecosystems can be. Cheers! :)

lol thanks for the post longqi; looks like they are finally shutting the gate after the horse has bolted!! But good news still, the Everglades look a stunning place and we all know how delicate these ecosystems can be. Cheers! :)

Thats not good news! I feel for those who take proper care for these awesome snakes, let alone those who have made a living from them.

Thats not good news! I feel for those who take proper care for these awesome snakes, let alone those who have made a living from them.

They get to keep them by the look of that.
"Most people who own any of these four species will not be affected. Those

who own any of these four species of snakes will be allowed to keep them

if allowed by state law."

It is a very political decision but quite interesting

Kurto
Anyone can still own and trade these snakes within their own state
They can export out of USA
They can still breed the snakes and licensed breeders can still send interstate with a permit
But they can no longer import them [considering that they imported over 7,800 cites listed snakes in 2009 thats a good thing for wild stocks]

Interesting part was that there are no vens on the list
Pythons may endanger a small [but significant] part of USA ecology but few human lives

Imagine a warehouse full of tiger or brown snakes getting blown over in a hurricane
They could live quite successfully in the majority of USA and would pose a much larger threat

This is just a prime example of what can happen when there is no regulation. It affects everyone... even the citizens who don't keep and never will keep snakes will be affected because they need taxpayers money to clean up the mess.

For those who did keep and breed these snakes, it's a matter of them backing the wrong horse...that's life. They will get over it and they can still keep their pets.

When I think of this scenario and then imagine it playing out in say Iron Range NP, I am glad that we have our system of no import. Whether its as big as a giant snake or as small as a toad, what a couple of people want can affect everyone. The grass isn't greener on the other side. And our prevention is better then their cure.

Wont it just make there value go up and start a underground market. your not allowed to import into Aust but look how many non natives are here already.

Wont it just make there value go up and start a underground market. your not allowed to import into Aust but look how many non natives are here already.

I dont think that will happen because the law isnt really that tough
You can own the pythons and buy and sell them and export them
Just cannot sell them interstate or import them

One would have imagined the general climate north of Florida would be enough to restrict their spread in the wild.

I can't find the link at the moment, but I remember reading recently an article published by a pro-ban party that stated "scientific studies" had shown these snakes could "swim in the ocean to California" (from Florida, mind you), or, more incredibly, "hitch a ride on an alligator". If I find it, I'll post it... 'cause it had me in stitches for hours :p

When you say 'our prevention' what do you mean exactly ? No one has prevented just about every exotic species imaginable being available illegally in this country. If you mean it isn't legal to import these animals then you are correct but I understand drugs are illegal too and we can see how effective that is.

This is just a prime example of what can happen when there is no regulation. It affects everyone... even the citizens who don't keep and never will keep snakes will be affected because they need taxpayers money to clean up the mess.

For those who did keep and breed these snakes, it's a matter of them backing the wrong horse...that's life. They will get over it and they can still keep their pets.

When I think of this scenario and then imagine it playing out in say Iron Range NP, I am glad that we have our system of no import. Whether its as big as a giant snake or as small as a toad, what a couple of people want can affect everyone. The grass isn't greener on the other side. And our prevention is better then their cure.

Just the thin end of the wedge... It won't be long till the conservatives in our own wildlife authorities begin pruning back our already restricted activities here. Maybe there are two sides to every story, but we should all think very long & hard before we hand back any freedoms we have fought hard to gain.

Jamie

Exactly why I cringe when I see the 'we're alright Jack' comments.

Just the thin end of the wedge... It won't be long till the conservatives in our own wildlife authorities begin pruning back our already restricted activities here. Maybe there are two sides to every story, but we should all think very long & hard before we hand back any freedoms we have fought hard to gain.

Jamie

talk on facebook by the americans this morning is that this is the start of a USA ban on all reptiles, once PETA & other groups get hold of this its a 'back door' into a ban on all reptiles as pets..

talk on facebook by the americans this morning is that this is the start of a USA ban on all reptiles, once PETA & other groups get hold of this its a 'back door' into a ban on all reptiles as pets..

Somehow I doubt this very much considering around 5 million households have pet reptiles of one form or another.

Somehow I doubt this very much considering around 5 million households have pet reptiles of one form or another.

If I understand correctly, what was strange about this act was that these species of python were added to a national law, when there was no evidence that they posed any invasive species risk outside Southern Florida. But now it's illegal, punishable by law by means of thousands of dollars, to take your retic with you when you move house across state lines. What that does to stop the *burmese* in the everglades, who knows....

But despite a fair bit of publicity from USARK etc, apparently only 27 000 reptile keepers have participated in the coordinated letter writing effort to date. So is the willingness to stick up for a minority of the hobby there? I don't know. I also understand that a bigger issue is state and county laws/ordinances which can be passed more quietly.

so in other words they are bringing in similar rules to what we have? no import, permits to export interstate, and you'll need a specific licence to have a big snake? seems pretty simple

Big snake - hundreds of young which sell at the local pet barn for $20 at a cute half a meter. At one year in a good paddock they are three meters, at two 4 to 5. You cannot tell me that this is not a recipe for disaster.

You do have a point, sellers should exercise good judgment too, but that in and of itself does not justify any particular action. When presented in the manner you have, it sounds like a recipe for disaster. But is it actually? Are you able to show any cakes that you prepared earlier? Particularly, any that would be solved by classing these big constrictors as injurious animals under the Lacey act?

I can't make any comment on the alleged growth rates of your unnamed snakes :)

You do have a point, sellers should exercise good judgment too, but that in and of itself does not justify any particular action. When presented in the manner you have, it sounds like a recipe for disaster. But is it actually? Are you able to show any cakes that you prepared earlier? Particularly, any that would be solved by classing these big constrictors as injurious animals under the Lacey act?

I can't make any comment on the alleged growth rates of your unnamed snakes :)

12- foot python kills toddler - New Orleans Top News | Examiner.com
1996 Darwin Award: Hungry Python Kills Owner

Thanks for those Ramsayi!

While they are both tragic incidents, I do not believe they will be solved by classing big constrictors as injurious animals. Perhaps the licencing requirement will have some impact, but would these particular individuals have followed it?

And in the case of the Darwin awards example, which could be nothing more than a tragic accident, perhaps involving keeper error, the previsions of the Lacey act would not have prevented it. The New Orleans example is particularly sad, but as I'm sure you are aware, hardly representative. There was alot more to it than a snake.... It would be an error to validate nation wide changes with an appeal to this incident.

The fact that these two examples, particularly the New Orleans one, keep coming out highlights the rarity of these kinds of incidents. And the lack of a case for big constrictors having invasive potential outside of FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back