New baby beardie - is my set up ok?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juezz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I picked up my first bearded dragon yesterday, which is about 4 inches long. My setup includes (photos attached):
- glass terrarium (31" long, 19" deep and 19" high)
- 26W repti Glo 5.0 uvb (after researching this bulb i am buying a ReptiSun 10.0 tube today! as I have noticed him close both his eyes and different times)
- 60 Watt OZ Purple night light as my heat lamp- tall and narrow basking rock
- water dish
- paper towel substrate (for now just to ease the stress of moving, will replace with reptile carpet after 20 days)
- digital thermometer with probe
Basking spot: 33 degrees C max | cool side: averaging around 28 - 29 degrees C

I have concerns that the heat light is not strong enough, as the basking spot reaches a max of 33 degrees Celsius.
I also have concerns that my lizard doesn't know how to get off the basking rock. On the first day i did pick him up only momentarily to put him on the basking rock just so he knew where it was. But since then ( 15 hours ago) he hasn't come down, only moving around the top of the basking rock, and even sleeping up there.

Would it be recommended that I get a higher wattage heat light, and perhaps swapped the purple light in during the night if 33 degrees is a good temperature for night?

Any input would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you

Attachments

• BEARDED1.jpg
    BEARDED1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 135
  • BEARDED2.jpg
    BEARDED2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 102
I would very much recommend giving him an easier way to get down from the rock... Its looking like a vertical climb and a long way down for the little guy at the moment. Also, he looks VERY exposed up there and probably feeling it! He'll also need a place to hide.

I dont yet have a bearded dragon (will be getting one soon), so my comments are based only on the research ive done so far... The basking temps look a little low compared to my research (which suggests ~40), but I'll let an experienced owner offer up advice on the temps.

Last edited:
ok what state are u in , as that will have an impact on what wattage light to use . u havnt mentioned a thermostat , do u have one ?. the basking temp needs to be low 40`s . i think he needs a better rock/basking spot , some small branches wouldnt hurt . a couple of hides wouldnt be a bad idea either , as for lighting a floodlight style globe are great for basking lights [ i use phillips floodlight globes from bunnings ]

Firstly, I am very pleased to see that you are taking the care of your baby seriously. I agree that your wattage is too low - your basking spot can become really quite warm, well over 40 degrees, and he will self-select where he needs to be to regulate his temp.
You might like to consider changing your substrate - critters/kitty crumble works well. Marine carpet is not great for baby dragons as it can damage their tiny claws. We use desert red sand, and we have not have any issues with gut impaction - after all, this is a common substrate in the wild.
Also, about your water dish. Bearded dragons don't seem to know how to lap from a water dish - if they stand in their water dish, they respond to the movement of the water, and lap from that. Otherwise, a twice daily misting from a water bottle works better, and stimulates your baby to drink as he would in the wild.
Best of luck!

Thankyou both for the fast replies!

I am in SA, the weather is currently around the 30's. I do not have a thermostat, but I will be purchasing one very soon. I just took him off the rock for food and he climbed back up it! Does this mean he can get down as well? I will purchase another smaller rock to put next to it to make it easier for him though today. I will have a look at the flood lights, what specs should I look at for that?

Thanks very much, i just want my dragon to be happy and healthy!

Hey buddy I would get the basking temp to 40 for a baby dragon. I would also get a few branches or objects in which he can climb around the rock that you have. He does seem a little high and awkward up there so if he has some other things he can climb on to get up and down from there I think he will be happier.
Also I would suggest getting a hide for the hot end and a hide for the cool end as right now the baby has no place to hide or feel secure. UVB 10.0 is essential and make sure that he can get within 10-20 cm from it. Let us know how you go and we can offer more advice :) Lovely little dragon :D

Our two beardies don't have a hide and don't seem to mind, one dug a hole and used it for about 3 days then went back to sitting up on the wall, so they obviously like to be high or inline with our heads. They like digging in the sand and having different levels, the closer they can get to the heat lamp the happier they are, also they like their hammock. Hope this helps :)

IMO he looks like he needs some other things in his tank branches fake plants and the like .
Like Chris said an easier way for him to get up and down from his basking perch and more stimulation the other decorations provide.
I have a hide ( mine doesnt use it to hide in just climb on) a leafy vine connected to the wall of tank just under the uv tube ( i need to get a srtonger thicker one soon shes getting big) and a couple of different branches one wrapped in a leafy vine for her to lick and climb on and such i dont use a night light i have a 50watt reptile one heat fan ( some say it dries the air but thats not a prob where i am it seems to be quite humid where i am and they after all are desert animals)
i also have never used anything apart from fake grass from bunnings ( had sand under it but removed the sand )
and my heat hits 40c and never goes over ( well 40.03 max) branch is right under that quite close like but she can move up and down and around the branch as she sees fit for her warmth and comfort her cool ens is between 27 and 29
oh i have a 4ft tank with a 3ft uvb tube ( from reptile one) that goes from cool end and at the end of that tube is my heat fan light i actually have two installed incase i need two for winter :)

hope that heaps just my humble opinions and what i am working with
have fun with your baby

My baby Ajax loves the Exo-terra vines, the really rough ones. Even more so now that he's shedding.

The only thing I'd suggest is a branch to help him get down from the basking spot and a hide. That's all I really know, lol. Good luck with your new baby!

Thankyou both for the fast replies!

I am in SA, the weather is currently around the 30's. I do not have a thermostat, but I will be purchasing one very soon. I just took him off the rock for food and he climbed back up it! Does this mean he can get down as well? I will purchase another smaller rock to put next to it to make it easier for him though today. I will have a look at the flood lights, what specs should I look at for that?

Thanks very much, i just want my dragon to be happy and healthy!
for basking lights i use the below , in all of my lizards and monitor enclosures .

Attachments

• phillips lighting.jpg
    phillips lighting.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 74
I use the same brand but 60w for my dragons. They are cheap and do the job well.

I've just changed mine from a 75w (same lights actually, lol) to a 100w. Be watchful of your dragon's poop, apparently it can tell you a lot. I had to up Ajax's temps after he passed an undigested woodie.

Thankyou all. I will go shopping for lights now, what size retptisun 10.0 tube would you suggest for my enclosure ( i have about 18" max space to fit one next to the heat bulb)?

Also don't feed your dragon unless it has had a chance to warm up under his basking light and don't switch off his basking light until he has had a chance to digest and bask under his light in the arvo (if you feed him morning and arvo) which is what I would do for sure

I'm fairly sure they sell 18" batten globes, either the brand you want or outback max and exo-terra too i'm pretty sure. I had a really hard time finding an 18" fitting around here though.

ok, thanks very much. Just quickly, I have put just two crickets in his cage, but he totally ignores them. Twice one has actually crawled over his back and once over his foot and my lizard hasn't moved.

Thats ok mate I would say bump up his heat and add some areas in which he can climb up on to get to that basking spot and he will start smashing crickets :)

I hope it makes him eat properly :3 So far I have replaced the night heat light with the Phillips flood light you suggested. I haven't changed the repti glo yet unfortunately. Im having trouble finding the fittings in store. I found one 18" fitting but it was $60 so I decided to look online. Can anyone suggest a good website to buy one that is affordable?

Thanks guys

for basking lights i use the below , in all of my lizards and monitor enclosures .

your kidding? we can actually use those instead of buying the heat globes from pet shops? i have spent almost 50 in the last 3 months on replacing the same light in my enclosure.

Also, what temperature should the basking spot be at during the night? Could I put my night bulb in to make it about 33 - 34 during the night and then swap back to the flood light during the day to keep it at around 36 - 40 during the day? ALSO you should know that he just ate about 4 crickets! After only having the proper heat bulb for less than an hour. I'm thrilled :)

your kidding? we can actually use those instead of buying the heat globes from pet shops? i have spent almost 50 in the last 3 months on replacing the same light in my enclosure.

YES! cost me about $3 and you can buy them in two packs for better value. And mine has drastically improved within an hour of proper heat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back