Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilMissSnakey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Is it possible to feed a python too much and how much would you consider is too much in comparison to body to weight ratio?
I have a female SA Woma, a little over a year old (670 g in weight and just under 4 foot long) and I have been feeding her 2 medium rats (150g each) per 10 days.

I have chosen over 10 days cos shes fed on the opposite 5 days to my bredli (giving max potenial for handling 1 snake at any time in my eyes) but it seems as thou I'm not giving her enough? She hadnt deficated at 7 days later, but as my partner tried to get her out of her enclosue lthe previous night she latched on and tried sizing up his arm for a chew. This to me is 'IM HUNGRY', but everything seems to be fine, her temps are regular at 36.5 hot end and 28 cold end, she has an excellent hide (one of which i think shes a little too comfortable with) and plenty of explore time on a jungle gym i constructed for them. The only thing i can put it down too is not enough food, but Im scared shes going to explode. I have a feeling this is my irrational nerves kickin in, so what are your suggestions? Im open to any advice. =D

Thanks Guys =D

well when im hungry and having a big feed.. i know when to stop. and i would think its the same for snakes. as for the rest your questions ill leave that up to the others..

How often is the snake sloughing? As a general guide for young Aspidites I aim for around an 8 week shed cycle and adjust feeding frequency if necessary.

She might only be a yearling, but am I reading right that you are feeding her almost 50% of her bodyweight every 10 days? I am no expert but it seems unlikely that that is way too little.

Should be allright ? I only feed my SA 150 - 200 gram rats every 7 days and he sloughs allright give him the odd feed of chicken necks too

def not an expert but isn't the hot end abit too high? from my understanding (limited as it is) hotter temps increase the metabolism, digestion of the animal? maybe there is no defecation because the animal needs everything it can get to survive? like an animal with colder temps, it will eat less/nothing at all to suit it's environment. is the hide the animal likes best in the cool end? if an animal is spending too much time in the hot or cool end it may be an indicator that something is wrong with the temps? please someone with more experience come and let me know if i am on the right path or just a misguided fool.

I wouldn't say that its too hot, 7 days is a fair turn around for a meal. It does sound like its well fed though.

Maybe cool down the cool end just a tad for more of a gradient, the snake will choose where it wants to be. Incorrect temps normally result in not feeding instead of feeding too much.

I stick to a very general rule only:
1. Hatchling-Juvenile every 7 days
2. Yearling-Adult every 14 days
3. Adult (2yrs+) once a month
Meal size is a guess based on girth of snake compared to girth of rat, aiming for a 1/3 wider than snake. After they have eaten, there is a decent size lump in stomach.
Read as many posts on the subject and work out a routine that best suits you and your reptile.
All the best.

I'd say that a 300gm meal consistently every ten days for a 670gm snake is WAY too much. Ideally a meal should be around 10% of the snake's bodyweight every fortnight for a snake that age & size, with variations to either meal size or feeding intervals quite acceptable. You can stretch the no feed period out to a month or six weeks occasionally to replicate their wild routine, and it will probably be of benefit to the snake. Obesity is unhealthy in snakes just as it is in humans.

Jamie

You're doing the right thing feeding smaller rats but two of them. The larger the rat, the higher the fat content and womas and fat don't get along. You might do well to drop down to only one of the rats every ten days and start handling it so it doesnt think you're food. Feeding out of enclosure can help with this (yes I know its debated but it works for me).

Another trick I use is I wash my hands with the same hand wash every time just before handling my snakes so that they come to recognise the smell.

Also remember that if you've handled other reptiles before moving to your woma, it smells food. Most snakes will eat other reptiles but Aspidites are particularly fond of them and are designed to have them as a staple food

She spends a fair bit of time in her heated end but likes to venture during the afternoons. Everything from cleans to feeds to sheds are recorded and she sheds n average every 4-5 weeks.... weird i know i thought it was a bit short too but shes shes like this even with the previous owner, ive attempted turning off her heat to try slow her down a bit but she still seems fairly active.
We have never fed either of our snakes inside their tanks and they dont mind being handled after being fed its just the before hand...we get her out and she has a wonder up our arm but then she consitricts and goes for a big ol bite. I also wash my hands with an alcohol based cleaner before and after handling which i thought would have stopped her quite quickly once she latched on but seems not to bother her either.
I originally had issues with my bredli constantly striking but i put that down to the fact hes a hatchling and he was defensive, hes not on as much as her in food wise as hes 6 months younger and half the weight but he to has the same temps and sheds perfectly every 8 weeks. He was also very fussy as a youngster and refused to eat rats from the begining (not an issue now) but hes never shown any interest in anything but a food item.
I hope its just a 'phase' but all the advice is a great help guys!!

I've had a full woma display feeding strikes as well. After more regular handing they are starting to calm down more, whether they have recently eaten or not. The more they explore their way around me I'm guessing the more they realise I'm a bit big for food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back